• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2019 9:54 am
[OP]
Mar 31, 2013
222 posts
939 upvotes
Courtenay, BC

what is a good water hose nozzle?

I am getting sick of replacing water hose nozzles, in my 30 years plus of owning homes I have yet to find a decent one that will last more than a few years........any recommendations? I have been buying them at costco and returning them when the leaks begin, but even this is getting tiring......and yes, I do ensure they are dry for the winter, they are even stored in non freezing storage....
12 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15683 posts
13392 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've got a similar one without the handle and I've had it for years. Best nozzle to get for sure.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
853 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I just broke one of mine today. I'm sick of these cheap nozzles, and pretty well every one was made in China. No more Chinese for me.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6392 posts
1061 upvotes
I bought the Gilmour zinc about 3 years ago. Nice basic nozzle. Two points:

1. Because it's all metal my hand gets ice cold in the spring when I'm using it because you're holding onto metal with ice cold water running through it. Wear glove.
2. When freezing weather comes you have to make sure there's no water left in it overnite which can freeze, expand and crack the metal. Or just bring it inside for storage.

I think I had to lubricate something on it once with silicone because the lever was sticking. Other than that, problem free. I paid $6.59 in 2016. Current price ridiculous.
Dec 4, 2009
321 posts
201 upvotes
Good washers to make the seal, and proper quick disconnects are key.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9623 posts
5020 upvotes
Paris
+1 for Gilmour. Melnor used to be made in St George but havent been in years.

Mine were each $30 and are going on season 7 or so with zero issues.
May 1, 2007
319 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
This is the best one you can buy - it is a mini fire-hose nozzle.

Bon-Aire HN-10C Original Ultimate Hose Nozzle (Stainless Steel)
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000E7YYDS/

So durable you can drive over it with a tractor and it will still work fine. These are in use by ranchers and farmers everywhere and will last a lifetime.

Video of it in action: