Automotive

What is a good windshield mount for a larger phone (Pixel 3 XL)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2019 9:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10713 posts
1866 upvotes
Toronto

What is a good windshield mount for a larger phone (Pixel 3 XL)

I purchased a Pixel 3 XL and was wondering if anyone knew of a windshield mount that can hold a usb c cable in there pretty solid so you just basically slide the phone into it and it connects... if they even make them like that?

Also will need a 6ft or preferrable 10ft cable as I plan on running this cable through the a-pillar like I did with my dash cam so the wire pretty much stays hidden...

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
11 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 7, 2014
2146 posts
1331 upvotes
iOttie Easy One Touch 4 Dashboard & Windshield Car Phone Mount Holder for iPhone Xs Max R 8 Plus 7 6s SE Samsung Galaxy S9 S8 Edge S7 S6 Note 9 & Other Smartphone https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B076B27WP6/ref ... iCb4VSJ9AM


I’ve seen the older model “3” for under $20 in the past. Solid mount
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2716 posts
1952 upvotes
RAM® X-Grip® Large Phone Mount with RAM® Twist-Lock™ Suction Cup Base
Part# RAM-B-166-UN10U Patented

RAM makes excellent mounts. I use one on my motorcycle and it holds secure at higher speeds.
Smash that like button!
Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2018
376 posts
355 upvotes
I could be wrong, don't shoot the messenger, I remember an OPP officer years ago telling me that anything aftermarket mounted to the windshield was illegal in Ontario and could be subject to a fine. With the way they are talking about cracking down on driving distractions I'm not sure I'd risk mounting things to the windshield.

Like I said though, I could be wrong, just passing along what I was told.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15304 posts
12764 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Don’t like vent mount?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3848 posts
3955 upvotes
GTA
Why do you need your phone stuck to the windshield?
Jr. Member
Jun 2, 2009
113 posts
50 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Does your car have a CD player slot? Do you use that CD player slot?

For me, I have one, but never use it. There are many phone mounts that hook into that slot and it's the perfect placement for my phone.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10713 posts
1866 upvotes
Toronto
MarcP wrote: Does your car have a CD player slot? Do you use that CD player slot?

For me, I have one, but never use it. There are many phone mounts that hook into that slot and it's the perfect placement for my phone.
I do not have a cd player in my car...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10713 posts
1866 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote: Why do you need your phone stuck to the windshield?

I don't NEED it there.

Here's been my experience

Vent mount: blocks heat / air (I have poor circulation of blood in my fingers in cold weather so the heat on my hands is a necessity), also did try one in this car before and the way my head unit / oem radio sticks up a bit by the vent and the angle of the vent makes it nearly impossible for one of those things to stay in place

CD Player slot mount/attachment: no cd player in my car

Never tried one of those things you stick on your dashboard that holds the phone there.
Last edited by XtremeModder on Jan 5th, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10713 posts
1866 upvotes
Toronto
nffclsr wrote: I could be wrong, don't shoot the messenger, I remember an OPP officer years ago telling me that anything aftermarket mounted to the windshield was illegal in Ontario and could be subject to a fine. With the way they are talking about cracking down on driving distractions I'm not sure I'd risk mounting things to the windshield.

Like I said though, I could be wrong, just passing along what I was told.
If that was the case, then anyone putting air fresheners hanging off their mirror, a GPS unit on their windshield or anything like that would be subject to a fine. You could say the same thing about putting one on your vent to in that case.

At the end of the day, as long as you don't touch the device while driving you should be fine.
Jr. Member
Jun 2, 2009
113 posts
50 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
nffclsr wrote: I could be wrong, don't shoot the messenger, I remember an OPP officer years ago telling me that anything aftermarket mounted to the windshield was illegal in Ontario and could be subject to a fine.
All Uber drivers are breaking the law then...

Top