4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
Pokemon.
Can't believe no one mentioned this.
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8534 posts
2932 upvotes
My top games in random order:

Uncharted 2 / 3, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy VII
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence, Dark Souls, StarCraft: Brood War (online), Black Ops (online)
Super Mario RPG (snes), Super Mario Galaxy, Final Fantasy VIII, Resident Evil 4, Persona 4 Golden

Most influential (for innovation in the industry, not necessarily the best)

1. Super Mario Bros. NES - Single-handedly saved console gaming. The Atari 2600 had absolutely no good games. Atari somehow managed to botch porting simple arcade classics like Pac-Man and Pong with horrid controls which led to the video game game crash before Nintendo arrived.

2. Zelda Ocarina of Time / Super Mario 64. Revolutionized the jump to 3D games. The lock on targeting and camera for adventure games from OoT was an important innovation.

3. Final Fantasy VII - the first big budget 45 million dollar + production value blockbuster game. Introduced high level CG cinematic cutscenes into console games.

4. Grand Theft Auto III - first 3d open world sandbox game that everyone else tried to copy. Created an entire genre. I think San Andreas is the best in the series.

5. GoldenEye 007 N64 -made first person shooters on consoles relevant for the first time.

6. StarCraft: Brood War revolutionized PC online gaming, and real time strategy into a competitive eSport.

7. Halo, made networked and online multiplayer in consoles mainstream and it was the Xbox 1's saving grace from obscurity.
8. Street Fighter II - created the fighting genre and made arcades relevant. SSFII HD Remix is my favourite in that series.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2160 posts
645 upvotes
Edmonton
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

and

COD - its like crack....or so i would imagine
Mar 13, 2009
211 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
River City Ransom holds a special place in my heart.

BARF.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2013
1836 posts
94 upvotes
NORTH YORK
You guys are posting a list of your favourite games. It's supposed to be the greatest game of all time and why!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2160 posts
645 upvotes
Edmonton
SuperGameBoy wrote: You guys are posting a list of your favourite games. It's supposed to be the greatest game of all time and why!
Wii Sports - Sold more than 2x the nearest competitor.

/thread
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21147 posts
2483 upvotes
Toronto
Zelst wrote: River City Ransom holds a special place in my heart.

BARF.
this game is awesome....I played the original Japanese version before playing the English version...

It was so fun not knowing what the people were saying or what I was buying....all trial and error....

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14377 posts
4528 upvotes
Montreal
SuperGameBoy wrote: You guys are posting a list of your favourite games. It's supposed to be the greatest game of all time and why!
since you ae asking for personal opinions from random forum members, I fail to see the difference.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3753 posts
156 upvotes
Barrie
Tetris is both an extremely old game as well as an incredibly populat one. People continue to buy tetris games today despite thousands of free alternatives and it has been sold over several different consoles. Ignoring tetris spinoffs, 3d tetris or platforms it didnt sell well in here are a few figures.

Pulled from wikipedia:
NES: 8 million; 1.81 million in Japan
Gameboy: 35 million
Mobile Phone: 100 million
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
Jun 1, 2012
791 posts
50 upvotes
For me: the elder scrolls series, max payne, cops and robbers on atari and 1942
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2160 posts
645 upvotes
Edmonton
Angry Birds...marking the beginning of the mobile revolution that killed consoles.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14377 posts
4528 upvotes
Montreal
Andrew765 wrote: Angry Birds...marking the beginning of the mobile revolution that killed consoles.
pretty well, and I have friends with xbox 360's and ps3's that are collecting dust because their leisure gaming time is almost entirely on the ipad. all this always-on, no-bc, money-hungry rumoured design of the the ps4 and durango is just throwing more salt on the wound and I think the apathy towards the wii u is just the start.

then again, the iap-freemium devil will kill tablet/phone gaming too and then we'll have to find something else.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8534 posts
2932 upvotes
The 3DS is actually selling faster than the Nintendo DS did, even after the 3DS's slow start in their first year.
3DS sales are outpacing the Nintendo DS by an excess of 1 million in units sold so far in the same time frame
(8 million vs 7 million in the US during the same launch window).

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2090695
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542043
Andrew765 wrote: Angry Birds...marking the beginning of the mobile revolution that killed consoles.

JackWhyte wrote: pretty well, and I have friends with xbox 360's and ps3's that are collecting dust because their leisure gaming time is almost entirely on the ipad. all this always-on, no-bc, money-hungry rumoured design of the the ps4 and durango is just throwing more salt on the wound and I think the apathy towards the wii u is just the start.

then again, the iap-freemium devil will kill tablet/phone gaming too and then we'll have to find something else.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)