• Oct 27th, 2020 12:23 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7952 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: I've lurked but never posted in this thread because while there are many great games that stand out within the context of their respective genre and era, many of which were mentioned already, in 20+ years of gaming, there's never been one game that stood out to me as as literally "the greatest game ever made"......until now

The Witcher 3

After spending tons of time on this game in the past year, coming back for Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine, constantly being surprised, never once feeling repetition or boredom, I can now confidently say TW3 is the single greatest game I've ever got for my money. The reviews and it being the most awarded game in history speaks for itself and is well deserved.
Replaying this game with mods years later, it's easily still the best game ever made and the amount of times this game has been mentioned in this thread over the past 3-4 years speaks for itself. Coming back to it now after playing other games that tried to copy its formula really puts into perspective how good and ahead of its time it is. I forgot most of the plot lines over time so it's refreshing again and the writing is still in a league of its own.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3488 posts
1578 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
it's easily still the best game ever made...
In your opinion. In my opinion, it lacks gameplay, has awful combat/controls, is too easy (even on the hardest difficulty) and is stuffed with too much MMO-style fluff and endless mind-numbingly boring cutscenes. Personally, gameplay always comes first - everything else is secondary to that. I wouldn't even have TW3 on the long list of greatest "games" ever made but I might put it on the list of best playable animated movies.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13412 posts
8371 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Syndicate Wars

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7952 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
txenglan wrote: In your opinion. In my opinion, it lacks gameplay, has awful combat/controls, is too easy (even on the hardest difficulty) and is stuffed with too much MMO-style fluff and endless mind-numbingly boring cutscenes. Personally, gameplay always comes first - everything else is secondary to that. I wouldn't even have TW3 on the long list of greatest "games" ever made but I might put it on the list of best playable animated movies.
The combat is my favorite part even though I play it on easy and use mods and trainers to make it even easier. I don't interact with the potion/oils/alchemy system at all and just play it like a super hero hack and slash action game.

To be honest being in my 30s now, I don't look for difficulty or challenge in single player games anymore, especially not in 100+ hour RPGs like this, aint nobody got time for that. I don't mind a challenge in shorter action focused games, but it's not important to me anymore if the game is great in other areas which this game is. Sometimes I'll just zone out playing GWENT for an hour. The cutscenes don't bore me either since the the writing is exceptionally high quality which makes it far more immersive for me compared to other games that are written so badly I end up skipping half of it.
Redmask wrote: The Witcher 3 is the greatest game ever made.
testzzz wrote: The Witcher 3
JackHarkness wrote: I would say bioshock, legend of zelda ocarina of time and witcher 3
Shotac12 wrote: R2D2 or The Witcher 3!
MikeMC12 wrote: With rose coloured nostalgia glasses off, The Witcher 3 without a doubt.

It has changed my perspective of what a good dev team and game can be, so it kind of ruined gaming for me to a certain extent haha.
Ganciel wrote: witcher 3
Xiader wrote: The Witcher 3! but this game does not know how to keep you long. I played about 70 hours in this game, but what do I do now? In General, the most favorite game is the Witcher 3 , and the game in which I spent the most time - Fortnite. I played there for about 300 hours and I'm not going to stop. I want to get better and play like a Pro. So I often analyze my fortnite stats[...]. I hope I get better this way.
Threetrees wrote: I know it's corny, but my winner is The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
richardvoyageur wrote: I'd say my favourite games of all time are Halo 1 and Witcher 3. Very hard for me to pick which one is best, love them both.
All these people get it and I bet many of them played the game in a completely different style from me and enjoyed it for different reasons from me which is what really makes this game great
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3488 posts
1578 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
The combat is my favorite part even though I play it on easy and use mods and trainers to make it even easier. I don't interact with the potion/oils/alchemy system at all and just play it like a super hero hack and slash action game.

To be honest being in my 30s now, I don't look for difficulty or challenge in single player games anymore, especially not in 100+ hour RPGs like this, aint nobody got time for that. I don't mind a challenge in shorter action focused games, but it's not important to me anymore if the game is great in other areas which this game is. Sometimes I'll just zone out playing GWENT for an hour. The cutscenes don't bore me either since the the writing is exceptionally high quality which makes it far more immersive for me compared to other games that are written so badly I end up skipping half of it.

All these people get it and I bet many of them played the game in a completely different style from me and enjoyed it for different reasons from me which is what really makes this game great
Like I said, it's you're opinion and you're entitled to it. TW3 is popular but that in itself doesn't make it great. If you feel that it's the greatest games you've ever played, great....but when you make statements that suggest it's a foregone conclusion that TW3 is the greatest game ever made, that's a problem. Incidentally, I played TW1, TW2 and TW3. As janky as the controls were in 1, I found it to be generally enjoyable. 2 - I had to force myself through it but it wasn't terrible and was certainly more of a challenge. 3 - no doubt it was a labour of love by the developers but after 5 separate attempts to push my way through the story, I kept dropping it right around Skellige. The incredibly tedious "Find Dandelion" fetch quest always left me feeling drained and as though the game was a chore.

Years ago, I played Skyrim and loved it. That was when I was in my thirties like you are now. I could just wander around and feel immersed. It had next to no story but somehow, it didn't need one. The junk combat was....well junk ...but I didn't mind. Somehow, TW3 never allowed me to "get lost" and immersed in the same way. Could be my age. Could be the fact I don't particularly want to play as Geralt of Rivia.... Or perhaps tastes change. Case in point, I don't think i'd enjoy Skyrim anymore either because as time has gone by my game design priorities have changed. That and Bethesda won't allow me to enjoy it due to constantly breaking mods. More than anything else these days, I play Rocket League because it is 100% pure game - as in it's ONLY a game. In the same way that chess is raw game. To me, this essence of "gaminess" is what is required for something to fall into the category of "greatest". To me, TW3 is.... Something else other than a "game" but I do recognize that it is a well constructed .."something else"... that perhaps needs it's own category. There are a lot of story-driven/walking simulator "games" these days that aren't what I'd call "games".
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7952 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
txenglan wrote: More than anything else these days, I play Rocket League because it is 100% pure game - as in it's ONLY a game. In the same way that chess is raw game. To me, this essence of "gaminess" is what is required for something to fall into the category of "greatest".
For what it's worth Rocket League is by far my most played game this generation, maybe ever as I don't think I've ever played any other game for 500+ hours. That'd be high up in my list of greatest games ever made as well but I just value immersive single player games more where TW3 stands above the rest in that category for me.
Feb 25, 2006
143 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Final Fantasy 7 for PSX (cant wait for the remake)
Final Fantasy 3 for SNES
Jul 14, 2014
912 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Monkey Island 2 and Monkey Island 3 (The Curse of Monkey Island), the best point & click adventure games ever made. Challenging, smart, funny, it's just a blast.

Other than that, the Grand Theft Auto game series is probably the best games franchise ever made. It is the most successful without a doubt.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34230 posts
3928 upvotes
Winnipeg
Chrono Trigger, starcraft
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9700 posts
2232 upvotes
Winnipeg
depends on the game and era, platform too.

Ground breaking due to first time experience. Or say single player and multiplayer? arcade style ? fps, or role playing etc . Mostly raw popularity wins the title greatest game.

My overall pick tho would be Halflife was the greatest modern computer based game. It was maybe the first real thriller with decent graphics. You became the character you were the lead actor it was like being in a movie, in first person with a real immersive interesting story line.From it gave birth to one of the most played multiplayer games of all time. So its a true benchmark.

But hands down the most significant game changing multiplayer has to go to battlefield 1942. That was ground breaking.

It granted first person shooter and the ability to really move beyond the 3rd wall in games. Which was moving towards total interaction with the environment. Untill then it hadn't been offered before. You could basically use all the vehicles and weapons at your leisure with physics and it wasn't scripted. That was ground breaking for online gaming and you were playing against upto 64 people too.
Mar 15, 2020
3 posts
Hard to say as what is "great" will likely depend on what different people value...
I'd have to go with Warcraft 3+TFT expansion (and not the awful reforged one)
was probably the first game i encountered with that degree of community created content.