• May 22nd, 2020 12:14 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9470 posts
550 upvotes
Markham
catpurrcat wrote: Super Mario 64. When it was released, i remember being so incrediby impressed picking up an N64 right away.

Also Super Mario World. Still play it today.
+1, Super Mario 64 was one of my all time favourites.
:lol:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2013
1836 posts
93 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Hairball wrote: +1, Super Mario 64 was one of my all time favourites.
This was me when I first played it

Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20770 posts
2151 upvotes
Toronto
Dr. Octagonecologyst wrote: Half Life and its mods. TF, CS, DoD.
For PC gaming, I think the greatest games were Wolfenstein 3D, followed by Quake2 and Counter-strike (online)....

Wolfenstein opened the world of FPS to me, Quake2 and Counter-strike online amplified the addictive nature of FPS to a whole new level!!
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11302 posts
2432 upvotes
Toronto
If we are talking about originality and playability and a game-changer in videogame history. then Street Fighter II is the best original game ever made. They improved on it in later versions/editions and especially SF 4...and it was ripped off countless times...which is a testimony for its genius and it's lasting power.

Plus Street Fighter has so much replay value and no match is exactly the same as the previous one. You could play this with friends for a very long time and never get bored.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11302 posts
2432 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: For PC gaming, I think the greatest games were Wolfenstein 3D, followed by Quake2 and Counter-strike (online)....

Wolfenstein opened the world of FPS to me, Quake2 and Counter-strike online amplified the addictive nature of FPS to a whole new level!!
The best and most original FPS of the first generation was Doom/Doom II. Nothing is more satisfying than killing hoards of demons with the BFG-9000 and playing in Network/LAN mode with friends.

And those funny WAD mods were not bad either...lots of fun and funny moments there. :)
Dec 23, 2007
440 posts
143 upvotes
Ottawa
Final Fantasy 3 (US version) is the best game ever made. The story was compelling and got me emotional as a kid. I can still find myself humming the some of the soundtrack every now and then (Veldt especially). The characters and villians were also great. I know they made an updated version for the original PS but a top modern version of that game would be great.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20770 posts
2151 upvotes
Toronto
Scorpionsy wrote: The best and most original FPS of the first generation was Doom/Doom II. Nothing is more satisfying than killing hoards of demons with the BFG-9000 and playing in Network/LAN mode with friends.

And those funny WAD mods were not bad either...lots of fun and funny moments there. :)
ahhhh yes, Doom/Doom II - classics!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2142 posts
633 upvotes
Edmonton
x-factor wrote: The 3DS is actually selling faster than the Nintendo DS did, even after the 3DS's slow start in their first year.
3DS sales are outpacing the Nintendo DS by an excess of 1 million in units sold so far in the same time frame
(8 million vs 7 million in the US during the same launch window).

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2090695
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542043
Angry Birds has been downloaded over 1.7 billion times.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5466 posts
692 upvotes
Calgary
Both Doom and X-Com scared the crap out of me.

One of the best BGM

One of the best intro
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3996 posts
1093 upvotes
Toronto
Great games are constantly being churned out, but if we're talking most significant games to gaming history, here's my list (as you can see, I'm about the FPS games and I don't really have any RPG experience):

1) Super Mario Bros (NES)
Everyone that's probably in game development right now, churning out amazing, innovative games, was probably weaned on this on the NES. Great platformer with solid controls.

2) Wolfenstein 3D (PC - Shareware edition)
Everyone that grew up with a decent PC in the early 90's had this game or played it. I actually don't know many who owned the full version, but it introduced a genre of gaming that has grown by leaps and bounds

3) Street Fighter 2 (Arcade/SNES/Genesis)
Cemented the fighting genre in arcades and brought it to home consoles in versions that were nearly identical to arcade versions. That pretty much signaled the decline of arcades.

4) Doom/Doom 2 (PC)
Took everything that was good about Wolf3D and made it greater. Again, most people probably only played the shareware edition, but it set the bar even higher for FPS expectations.

5) Half-Life (PC)
Remember the long introductory scene when you're riding the tram in the Black Mesa compound? You know, where you suddenly realized "Holy crap - video games can tell complex stories in a cinematic fashion!"? Half-Life.

6) GoldenEye 64 (N64)
Console FPS was not a thing until GoldenEye. Before that, we had crappy ports of Doom and Wolf3D. Great single player and amazing split-screen multiplayer changed the FPS game well before Halo did.

7) CounterStrike (PC)
No other multiplayer-only shooter has captivated more people for as long of a time, and ushered in competitive multiplayer on a large scale.

8) Resident Evil 4 (GameCube)
The older RE games were fun and campy and creepy, but RE4 really kicked it up a notch in terms of survival horror and action.

9) TIE - WarCraft / Command & Conquer (PC)
I loved both series, so I can't really choose one over the other, but these games gave rise to the RTS as a commercially successful genre

Honourable Mention:
Descent (PC) - before this game, people played FPS games with the keyboard alone, but Descent forced players to use the mouse, which gave rise to a new way to play.

All LucasArts SCUMM games (Loom, Maniac Mansion, Secret of Monkey Island, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Indiana Jones, Full Throttle, etc) - showed that witty writing, quirky characters, and a bit of personality really show through to make memorable gaming experiences.

Sim City 2000 - For many of us, it was the first "smart" game we've ever played, where multitasking and balancing books played a role, and introduced gray-area consequences to our gaming decisions, not just life or death.
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11667 posts
2737 upvotes
metal gear solid

best story told
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2009
5391 posts
104 upvotes
World of Warcraft

9 year-old game, still 9.6mil ACTIVE players. Numbers don't lie.

*Disclaimer: I played WoW in '06, and quit after my 90 days expired.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20552 posts
4598 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Scorpionsy wrote: The best and most original FPS of the first generation was Doom/Doom II. Nothing is more satisfying than killing hoards of demons with the BFG-9000 and playing in Network/LAN mode with friends.

Doom? Original? Not Castle Wolfenstein 3D?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11302 posts
2432 upvotes
Toronto
sandikosh wrote: Doom? Original? Not Castle Wolfenstein 3D?
Yes, because it was the best game of that generation overall. Wolf 3D opened the door to the technology and was great too but Doom was the best IMO.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3996 posts
1093 upvotes
Toronto
Scorpionsy wrote: Yes, because it was the best game of that generation overall. Wolf 3D opened the door to the technology and was great too but Doom was the best IMO.
What do you consider "that generation" though? Early-90's before Quake's 3D rendered graphics?

That generation had 4 great games for me: Doom, Jagged Alliance, Sim City 2000 and Warcraft.
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)