Home & Garden

What is this green color unit in a new build construction home and will it eventually be removed

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2017 6:43 am
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
371 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto

What is this green color unit in a new build construction home and will it eventually be removed

Hi

I have a new build which we went to visit recently and found this monstrosity outside out to be built house. Anyone know what this is. Might be an electrical box or generator

We are mostly concerned if this will be the permanent location for this or do they move or reduce its footprint after construction is over?
Images
  • IMG_1711.JPG
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2706 upvotes
ON
That's your electrical distribution box. It's permanent and won't move. It will be more flush with the ground though, up to the cement level.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45468 posts
5979 upvotes
Richmond Hill
This is one risk you take when buying new construction - locations of these boxes, as well as hydrants, mailboxes, etc., aren't decided by the city until after you've made the purchase.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5684 posts
3433 upvotes
It's Permanent.

Should not have been a surprise though. Normally the builder would notify you of the location of utilities and lamp posts upon lot selection and purchase. At least that was the case when I bought my new build.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5684 posts
3433 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: This is one risk you take when buying new construction - locations of these boxes, as well as hydrants, mailboxes, etc., aren't decided by the city until after you've made the purchase.
That was not my experience but I suppose it might depend on when and what phase the purchase was made.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12162 posts
8896 upvotes
GTA, ON
The lighting if your photo is very poor but it looks like your typical electrical box for all the underground wires that supply your street. This is normal and isn't a concern. Every house has the chance of getting a green electrical box, street light, fire hydrant, or communication plate in front of their house.

In hindsight you should have asked the builder for the masterplan. I knew ahead of time I'd have a fire hydrant in front of my old townhouse.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12162 posts
8896 upvotes
GTA, ON
aqnd wrote: That's your electrical distribution box. It's permanent and won't move. It will be more flush with the ground though, up to the cement level.
Agreed. Once the development finishes it's proper grading the bottom of the box will be almost flush with only a little cement base showing. The box will be about mid-thigh height.

[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
371 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
ah @#$@#$ lol. We were driving by yesterday and found this. The odd thing is that these are in front of many of the houses on the same road, almost every 4 hours down have this.

We did ask the builder for the master plan and were told there will likely be lamp post - possibly a tree per city regulations, but this was never discussed.

Is this something that the developer assigns, or is assigned by the city itself.

And I would imagine this would hit the overall price of the house when its time to sell. Any concerns on insurance or safety (I have two small kids who will likely be running around the lawn and wouldn't want them to accidently touch this).
Last edited by robbiemurray on Feb 20th, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45468 posts
5979 upvotes
Richmond Hill
fdl wrote: That was not my experience but I suppose it might depend on when and what phase the purchase was made.
I think it was more common in the old days but nowadays builders are selling pre-construction earlier and earlier in the development, and while they may have an idea where some of those may go, they tend to not yet be finalized/approved by the municipality yet.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45468 posts
5979 upvotes
Richmond Hill
robbiemurray wrote: ah @#$@#$ lol. We were driving by yesterday and found this. The odd thing is that these are infront of many of the houses.

We did ask the builder for the master plan and were told there will likely be lamp post - possibly a tree per city regulations, but this was never discussed.

Is this something that the developer assigns, or is assigned by the city itself.

And I would imagine this would hit the overall price of the house when its time to sell. Any concerns on insurance or safety (I have two small kids who will likely be running around the lawn and wouldn't want them to accidently touch this).
The boxes are safe to touch, but you can always build a half-height fence or grow shrubs around two sides of it. It still has to be accessible though.

In this market, it won't really affect the price during resale, but it may during bad times.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
933 upvotes
Newmarket
We had it and it's not the end of the world, would be better not to but when it comes to selling this will be the last thing that would deter people from buying your property. We had it, you can put plants around, support climbing plants with metal support and you will barely notice it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6515 posts
2983 upvotes
i have one on the boulevard in front of my house along with a CATV pedestal. Never had a problem.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10275 posts
2872 upvotes
most people don't hang out in the front yard anyways, so we didn't care about it when we built. I don't even notice it.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2706 upvotes
ON
robbiemurray wrote: The odd thing is that these are in front of many of the houses on the same road, almost every 4 hours down have this.
One box feeds several houses. The outside case is grounded and locked, there's no danger to outside humans. Kids can sit on them, unharmed. But should probably teach them to stay away anyway.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1267 posts
695 upvotes
Oshawa
So, it's perfectly safe, doesn't pose a danger to "outside humans" but keep kids away anyways?

Lord help us. These green boxes were the main meeting point for all the neighbourhood kids when I was a young one.
aqnd wrote: One box feeds several houses. The outside case is grounded and locked, there's no danger to outside humans. Kids can sit on them, unharmed. But should probably teach them to stay away anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5684 posts
3433 upvotes
jonnyb wrote: So, it's perfectly safe, doesn't pose a danger to "outside humans" but keep kids away anyways?

Lord help us. These green boxes were the main meeting point for all the neighbourhood kids when I was a young one.
Same here.

But don't tell all the EMF fearmongers on here.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12162 posts
8896 upvotes
GTA, ON
They're perfectly safe but even so, kids shouldn't play around them. Has nothing to do with EMF or anything, just precautionary.

I remember one exploding down the street when I was a kid though. It was during a heatwave and I imagine there must have been a tremendous load on it. Blew the cover right off and it flew a few houses down. Sounded like a bomb went off. Anyways... OP, this is a millions-to-one probability or we'd be hearing this all over the news all the time.

Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
428 upvotes
Concord, ON
jonnyb wrote: So, it's perfectly safe, doesn't pose a danger to "outside humans" but keep kids away anyways?

They do leak sometimes those boxes
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2706 upvotes
ON

chimaican wrote: They're perfectly safe but even so, kids shouldn't play around them. Has nothing to do with EMF or anything, just precautionary.

I remember one exploding down the street when I was a kid though. It was during a heatwave and I imagine there must have been a tremendous load on it. Blew the cover right off and it flew a few houses down. Sounded like a bomb went off. Anyways... OP, this is a millions-to-one probability or we'd be hearing this all over the news all the time.
^ This.

They're perfectly safe under normal operating conditions. But doesn't mean you should encourage kids to play on them. They're not toys. This is serious equipment that is capable of causing harm when it fails.
Same with propane tanks or any other item in this category that is not a toy. Sitting there on their own, they're typically harmless. Still doesn't mean you should allow your kids to play with them.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1267 posts
695 upvotes
Oshawa
Geez, we always used propane tanks as the goal posts when playing street hockey with what we were supposed were dead grenades found in the park. Guess that was a pretty bad idea.
Your kid has a better chance of being harmed in an car accident than they do via one of these green boxes.
Excuse me while I put my kid in full hockey gear to ride his bike. Running beside him with a mattress in case he falls is a lot of work.

aqnd wrote: ^ This.

They're perfectly safe under normal operating conditions. But doesn't mean you should encourage kids to play on them. They're not toys. This is serious equipment that is capable of causing harm when it fails.
Same with propane tanks or any other item in this category that is not a toy. Sitting there on their own, they're typically harmless. Still doesn't mean you should allow your kids to play with them.