None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8824 posts
1891 upvotes
London

What happened to DLP TV?

Last time I checked there is none available for sale at BB ? Phased out already?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19329 posts
987 upvotes
apvm wrote: So the only choices are either Plasma or LCD?
I think if you look around, you will still find them ...
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
4366 posts
102 upvotes
willy wrote: Not sure about the others, Sony has ceased the production of DLP RPTV not very long ago ... http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/27/sony ... roduction/
Sony never made a DLP TV. They were making projection TVs of the liquid crystal on silicon (LCoS/SXRD) variety or LCD projection TVs.

Bulb/colour wheel based DLPs had a lot of issues, especially Toshiba ones over the years. These were abig headache to BB/Fs and they stopped selling them. Last year Samsung's LED based DLP (no bulbs to change, no colour wheels to break) provided an amazing picture with promise of fewer issues/returns. I got one and am really happy with it. There were some issues of these sets, but almost all were fixable, albeit 8 months or so after they were first reported.

The 2008 LED based DLPs are even thinner and brighter, but have their own issues for some people. With the prices of LCD and plasma dropping, the previously huge price disparity between DLPs and the flat panel technologies for 50"+ sets is now much less than it once was. Add to that that people want a flat panel, even with no intention of hanging a TV up, and it's less cost effective for some retailers to stock DLP/other projection sets. I think that's a mistake, however, as Mitsubishi will be launching its laser illuminated DLPs later this year.
I may eventually get a front projector if LED/Laser DLP technology could be incorporated into these... i.e. no bulbs to replace, and hence no need to worry about the lifespan of the illumination.
Yes I do have heatware. Look over here! Yes, here! Heatware: fitbrit
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
100 upvotes
fitbrit has it right. The main advantage of DLP sets was that the rear-projection design scales up to bigger screen sizes with proportionately less manufacturing cost increase than plasma and LCD. Manufacturing cost efficiencies have improved with LCD and plasma for sets up to 60 inch diagonal to the point where DLP lost most of its advantage. With costs being nearly equal, the DLP sets are not as attractive due to the triple disadvantages of greater depth, more limited viewing angle, and the potential for costly bulb replacement.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19329 posts
987 upvotes
My bad ... Wrong info from me ... :o

Now I finally understand why I failed to see any rainbow effect from the RPTV sets at the Sony store the other day no matter how hard I tried ... hee hee ....
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
4366 posts
102 upvotes
willy wrote: My bad ... Wrong info from me ... :o
Yes! There IS a first time for everything. :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8824 posts
1891 upvotes
London
My friend is looking for a TV for his parents whom are retired and will spend more time with their TV. He heard that DLP need only to change the bulb and it will be like new while LCD and Plamsa will eventually die like CRT....anyway, which type of TV has longer life, LCD or Plasma? Tia
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
4366 posts
102 upvotes
apvm wrote: My friend is looking for a TV for his parents whom are retired and will spend more time with their TV. He heard that DLP need only to change the bulb and it will be like new while LCD and Plamsa will eventually die like CRT....anyway, which type of TV has longer life, LCD or Plasma? Tia
Like I alluded to above, you can get great prices on Samsung 2007 LED DLP units. With these you don't have to even change the bulb because there isn't one to change. The TVs should last at least 13 years at 4 hours' use per day. I'd suspect you could probably get a 61" screen for well under $2000. The model numbers to look for are:

HL-T5687S/SAX 56"
HL-T5689S/SAX 56"
HL-T6187S/SAX 60"
HL-T6189S/SAX 60'

A 50" set is also available, but rare, and not worth the price IMO.

The Brick is an excellent candidate for still having these in stock; you may want to ask if you have a store locally. I'm sure they'd be open to negotiation to get rid of these sets now.
The '89 series has a few more features, but the picture quality is the same. In my opinion, if both 87 and 89 models are available, it's not worth paying more than $50-$100 extra for the 89 series. That's especially true if your friends parents are older and bewildered by Bluetooth technology, or have no use for it.

Many more details in this thread from last year. Note, the problems with those TVs mentioned in that old thread are now solved or are soluble.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
100 upvotes
The life span of current LCD and plasma sets is rated at about 100,000 hours, at least as good as traditional CRTs. A DLP with LED illumination instead of a bulb is probably similar. But with a standard DLP you will probably have to replace the bulb a couple of times over the life of the TV, which is a significant extra expense.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
4366 posts
102 upvotes
Aske001 wrote: The life span of current LCD and plasma sets is rated at about 100,000 hours, at least as good as traditional CRTs. A DLP with LED illumination instead of a bulb is probably similar. But with a standard DLP you will probably have to replace the bulb a couple of times over the life of the TV, which is a significant extra expense.
Agreed! I'd probably still buy the TV I have now a year later. However, it'll be hard to get a new DLP in Canada this time next year, I fear. A pity, because the technology has many advantages over LCD/Plasma (as well as a couple of disadvantages - viewing angle, possible geometry issues). I still think the LED DLP is great for HTPC use, though.

My next set (after 2010, at least) will have to be over 65", at least 1080p, and better cost under $1.5k!
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10793 posts
668 upvotes
Scarborough
i was wondering the same thing because my family still has one 42inch samsung DLP tv when they started showing up.

I use it for my PS3 currently, but my family general watches movies and stuff using a projector with HD and surround sound.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)