• Dec 26th, 2019 11:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6931 posts
2574 upvotes
Vancouver

What happened to Myprotein?! Expensive + Fake ingredients scam

Even today at claimed 60% off, their price is what it used to be pre-discount price 6 months ago. In the last few months they jacked their prices by 2-3X and all the fake discounts have been bringing protein prices to just a bit. 11lb isolate @ 45% off used to be about $75 or so. Now with 60% discount it's about $120

And then a friend of mine found their preworkout to be fake, with faked list of ingredients which are not what they said they were. And Myprotein did not even want to reply to his concern and in a rude manner refused to acknowledge their scam, yet their latest pre-workout seems to have different ingredients. No apology was made, not even an attempt to provide facts to disprove his findings!!! All makes me to believe they were scamming everyone until they got caught and then quickly reworked the formula. All that makes me consider another brand as I bet this is not just 1 case and they have more stuff that are severely under-dosed!
Labdoor is being sponsored by Myprotein so for their testing myprotein sends them the protein and in reality they can send whatever they want and then sell different to the consumers.

I no longer trust them. I used to recommend them here all the time, but no longer can.

Now I am trying to find alternative that I can trust and that is not overpriced.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
3 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2011
1240 posts
1336 upvotes
Toronto
Going to preface this note by calling out my admiration for MyProtein.
Huge fan of their isolates, and their workout accessories (wraps, straps, bottles, etc).

However, I must acknowledge that they have had significant price increases over the year.
Also, their regular price is a ruse as there is consistently some kind of promotion (pretty sure that in Canada, this is in breach of competition & pricing law).

I continue to buy from them isolates whenever they have a double-coupon stack error. My most recent isolate purchase was $64.35 for 11lbs.
I think their shady business practices is indicative of an untrustworthy company, but I am at the grasp of their cheap protein prices (when an error occurs).

For your friend, perhaps he can contact LabDoor and make a case to have the protein re-tested anonymously.
He can point to the deception on his preworkout as probable cause to have the protein retested.

Hmm. I can tell that there's demand for $70-80 bulk protein isolate on this forum.
Maybe I should start a Canadian protein company Thinking Face
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6931 posts
2574 upvotes
Vancouver
Wolfdale wrote: Going to preface this note by calling out my admiration for MyProtein.
Huge fan of their isolates, and their workout accessories (wraps, straps, bottles, etc).

However, I must acknowledge that they have had significant price increases over the year.
Also, their regular price is a ruse as there is consistently some kind of promotion (pretty sure that in Canada, this is in breach of competition & pricing law).

I continue to buy from them isolates whenever they have a double-coupon stack error. My most recent isolate purchase was $64.35 for 11lbs.
I think their shady business practices is indicative of an untrustworthy company, but I am at the grasp of their cheap protein prices (when an error occurs).

For your friend, perhaps he can contact LabDoor and make a case to have the protein re-tested anonymously.
He can point to the deception on his preworkout as probable cause to have the protein retested.

Hmm. I can tell that there's demand for $70-80 bulk protein isolate on this forum.
Maybe I should start a Canadian protein company Thinking Face
Labdoor is for-profit company that is making money by those sponsor and Myprotein seems to be #1 so I doubt they would actually want to do real reviews as they would lose a lot of $$ if all that came to light.
I think price increase is due to all the demand... In the last 2 years they got a lot more traffic due to forums like RFD as they were posted here a lot. So now they as it typically happens increased their prices. I would hope their pricing would be illegal,but I don't think it's the case. I see the same thing at some Canadian food markets when items are jacked up and always on sale. Or worse Metro putting fake retail price and then selling it at discount, yet the discount brings the item to manufacturer's suggested price. Illegal? I doubt it. Scammy? Oh yah!
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2011
1240 posts
1336 upvotes
Toronto
dazz wrote: Labdoor is for-profit company that is making money by those sponsor and Myprotein seems to be #1 so I doubt they would actually want to do real reviews as they would lose a lot of $$ if all that came to light.
I think price increase is due to all the demand... In the last 2 years they got a lot more traffic due to forums like RFD as they were posted here a lot. So now they as it typically happens increased their prices. I would hope their pricing would be illegal,but I don't think it's the case. I see the same thing at some Canadian food markets when items are jacked up and always on sale. Or worse Metro putting fake retail price and then selling it at discount, yet the discount brings the item to manufacturer's suggested price. Illegal? I doubt it. Scammy? Oh yah!
I work for a company that sells products at retail stores. There's a regulation that prohibits us from consistently having something on promotion. If it's on promotion for an extensive period of time, we must -- by law -- remove the "on sale" tag and can only advertise the sale price as reg price.

https://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic ... 03125.html
A person can make a price comparison about a product if the reference price reflects the price at which suppliers generally in the relevant market area have either:
- sold a substantial volume of the product within a reasonable period of time before or after making the representation (volume test); or
- offered the product for sale in good faith for a substantial period of time recently before or immediately after making the representation (time test).
I doubt that MyProtein is selling a substantial volume (>50%) at their "regular/reference price", and the abundance of these offers indicates that they don't pass the time test either.

Perhaps they get around this by consistently offering "coupon codes" that reduce the price of the product, and not actually offering the product "on sale". But there is a law that prevents retailers from dicking around this way.

Regarding LabDoor, their About Us page has plenty of information addressing concerns that they may not be impartial.
Personally, I'd lean more on the thought that Labdoor values their public perception more than their relationship with any given supplement manufacturer. However, the retest process appears to be convoluted and doesn't favor consumer feedback.

I am in agreement that demand has driven up the price.
Unless their mission is affordable protein powder, they have little reason to sell their product at $60-70/11lbs if price is elastic and customers are willing to spend $90-$100/11lb.

Really wish they'd get away from the deceptive business practices though. They have (had?) good product, and they can fall just as quick as they gained their popularity.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)