Food & Drink

What happened to Safeway's Gourmet Meat Shoppe brand?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2015 11:34 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes

What happened to Safeway's Gourmet Meat Shoppe brand?

I was just at Safeway and noticed that there is no sign of their in-house brand called Gourmet Meat Shoppe, iirc. Just saw a whole bunch of "Compliments" stuff that look similar, but not the same content??

When did the switch happen? Was there a clearout sale to get rid of the old stuff?
4 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19929 posts
6859 upvotes
Toronto
Sobey's bought Safeway. They are naturally going to terminate anything they believe to be duplication of product, even if the compliments brand just isn't the same.
(long story short: No need to compete with themselves)
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
2218 posts
920 upvotes
Edmonton
Yeah they gradually phased a lot of that stuff out - my location still has some Safeway stuff left (frozen lasagnas as part of their healthy line, or whatever the products with the coloured nutritional bubbles on the front were called) but everything else is Compliments.

I hope they don't touch Lucerne, although they've already gotten rid of their (surprisingly awesome) cheeses. I like their milk the best of the various brands here, I hope if they axe it they at least maintain the same supplier. And their ice cream is pretty good for its price.

You might have found some clearance - Safeway generally keeps one clearance section for grocery items, one for cheese/meat, and one for frozen (bottom of an end cap from what I've seen, usually).
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes
I didn't know Compliments was a Sobeys brand. Ya, I like Lucerne and hope that it stays.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19929 posts
6859 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote: I didn't know Compliments was a Sobeys brand. Ya, I like Lucerne and hope that it stays.
It used to be called "Our Compliments" many years ago. Their answer to how to compete with Loblaws President's choice & others (etc...)