Cell Phones

What Happens if I Delete Bluetooth Data in Android Cell Phone Settings?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2020 1:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5576 posts
1123 upvotes
Montreal

What Happens if I Delete Bluetooth Data in Android Cell Phone Settings?

I have an August SmartLock Pro. It works with both WiFi for remote connections and Bluetooth for maintaining settings or auto-unlock.

If I try to access my lock via Bluetooth on my wife's iPad or my Tablet, it works perfectly. However, when I try to connect using Bluetooth on my cell phone, it doesn't work anymore even though it did before. Obviously, it's the cell phone that has the problem. I spent a good 40 minutes with their tech support trying to get it to work but we failed.

One of the things the tech support guy recommended was to delete my Bluetooth system cache and data and then reboot. I deleted cache and then stopped when it came to data as I figure I would then have to re-pair all my previously paired devices. When I hesitated, the tech support guy said all the BT connections would regenerate themselves automatically but I wasn't so confident. I'm sure that would work for the August lock but somehow I don't see that working for my other 18 devices I currently have paired.

Does anyone know if he's right? What happens if I delete my Bluetooth system's data? Would the connections magically reappear?
Phils
4 replies
Mar 6, 2017
24 posts
3 upvotes
Phils wrote: I deleted cache and then stopped when it came to data as I figure I would then have to re-pair all my previously paired devices. When I hesitated, the tech support guy said all the BT connections would regenerate themselves automatically but I wasn't so confident. I'm sure that would work for the August lock but somehow I don't see that working for my other 18 devices I currently have paired.

Does anyone know if he's right? What happens if I delete my Bluetooth system's data? Would the connections magically reappear?
My initial gut feeling was to agree with you that your devices would be deleted. However I attempted to duplicate (somewhat) your situation. I used a backup Samsung Galaxy A5 running Android 8 and "cleared" the cache and data under Bluetooth from the system menu. My 4 devices are still listed and the one I tried still works.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a tech pro by any means; just a regular user so will take absolutely no responsibility for actions taken from this comment. :rolleyes:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5576 posts
1123 upvotes
Montreal
Interesting for sure. I think I'll post the question in the android developer forum where there are android gurus.

Thanks for giving me hope.
Phils
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5576 posts
1123 upvotes
Montreal
I checked around and the sites seems to say that I would lose my pairings. They recommend writing down which connections you have prior to doing the delete. However, many of the articles seem to be for older versions of Android.
Phils
Mar 6, 2017
24 posts
3 upvotes
Phils wrote: However, many of the articles seem to be for older versions of Android.
I've noticed the same thing when trying to deal with a bluetooth issue. It's frustrating; bluetooth is still a very usable function for a lot of people and applications but gets very little attention.