Home & Garden

What happens if the washing machine discharge hose is too far down the stand pipe?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2022 9:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7160 posts
3494 upvotes
Montreal

What happens if the washing machine discharge hose is too far down the stand pipe?

I never knew you shouldn't insert more than 5" of the hose down the stand pipe. Installed mine about a year ago and just shoved as much as I could to make sure it wouldnt move out of the pipe. I had at least 17" down the pipe. Haven't seen any problem so far, I read that it could lead to the washer having trouble filling up, but I have not seen that. Can anything bad happen if I leave that much hose down the stand pipe? (Pipe is 30" from the floor)

The hose is too long to have only 5", can I cut it where I circled: https://ibb.co/kg5xDsk
or should I even bother with it?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18698 posts
21372 upvotes
GTA
What do you mean "too long"? Why not just leave the extra hanging?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7160 posts
3494 upvotes
Montreal
engineered wrote: What do you mean "too long"? Why not just leave the extra hanging?
I can barely bend it near the end that goes in the pipe, I tried forcing it and pretty sure I would have broken if I tried further as I see a white line on the plastic now.

I tried just pulling out the extra, but that leaves a long curve and seeing the hose move is kinda scary :
https://streamable.com/87hjjb
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18698 posts
21372 upvotes
GTA
Madevilz wrote: I can barely bend it near the end that goes in the pipe, I tried forcing it and pretty sure I would have broken if I tried further as I see a white line on the plastic now.

I tried just pulling out the extra, but that leaves a long curve and seeing the hose move is kinda scary :
https://streamable.com/87hjjb
You could use a few zip ties to make sure it won't pull out (one around hose, then one around the metal strap and back around 1st zip tie).
I think you should be able to shove more down the pipe, as long as it isn't submerged in water. I think the issue might be creating a vacuum siphon.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2028 posts
2385 upvotes
Isn't that a lot of water ins and outs around the electrical outlet?

I don't know anything about code, or if it's dangerous, but seems any leak you have in that area could possibly soak the outlet.

If I'm being honest, my inlet hoses could theoretically leak and spray my outet too I guess, but it'd have to be a perfect shot. Yours being low makes it more probable.

Maybe it's just how it's done and fine, I've no real idea, just thinking out loud, apologies if this is just a irrelevant observation..
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7160 posts
3494 upvotes
Montreal
GTA12345 wrote: Isn't that a lot of water ins and outs around the electrical outlet?

I don't know anything about code, or if it's dangerous, but seems any leak you have in that area could possibly soak the outlet.

If I'm being honest, my inlet hoses could theoretically leak and spray my outet too I guess, but it'd have to be a perfect shot. Yours being low makes it more probable.

Maybe it's just how it's done and fine, I've no real idea, just thinking out loud, apologies if this is just a irrelevant observation..
Thank you for adding another thing to worry about LOL, but I dont know, this is a newly built house, used the washer for a year with no leak or anything. Ill have the house inspected, I guess Ill ask the building inspector.
Dec 29, 2019
241 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
My instruction manual for one of my washers just told me that putting too much hose down might increase likelihood of bacteria buildup (more chances of it remaining submerged in water or touching backflow?).

Mine came with a helpful U bracket to put the hose in so it mantained its shape to hook into the drain and I just put a couple of zip ties for good measure.

Maybe you can buy one to give you peace of mind:

https://www.amazon.ca/Universal-Shape-W ... 28&sr=8-15
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17667 posts
5752 upvotes
London
Meibatsu wrote: My instruction manual for one of my washers just told me that putting too much hose down might increase likelihood of bacteria buildup (more chances of it remaining submerged in water or touching backflow?).

Mine came with a helpful U bracket to put the hose in so it mantained its shape to hook into the drain and I just put a couple of zip ties for good measure.

+1, mine came with a metal version of the same thing.

OP, take a metal coat hanger and bend it into a U shape. Then zip tie the drain hose to the U and and hook it onto the drain

* ALSO * *** untangle your water supply hoses ***

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7160 posts
3494 upvotes
Montreal
Meibatsu wrote: My instruction manual for one of my washers just told me that putting too much hose down might increase likelihood of bacteria buildup (more chances of it remaining submerged in water or touching backflow?).

Maybe you can buy one to give you peace of mind:

https://www.amazon.ca/Universal-Shape-W ... 28&sr=8-15
did you mount it to the wall?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6385 posts
2009 upvotes
0 downvotes
I have the Universal U Shape Washer Drain Hose Hook and yes it is screwed into the drywall. My stand pipe is in a box in the wall, so it just enogh to go in there but its not all the way down touching water to cause bacteria or backflow
Hello and Welcome to Red Flag Deals!
This is my signature line, nothing special to see here now go away, lol!
Dec 29, 2019
241 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Madevilz wrote: did you mount it to the wall?
I did not because I was too lazy lol. I just ziptied the hose to it and hooked the loop over the drain pipe (mine was a pipe that was attached to the sink's drain). It has held for the past 8 years, but you definitely could for extra assurance.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7160 posts
3494 upvotes
Montreal
engineered wrote: You could use a few zip ties to make sure it won't pull out (one around hose, then one around the metal strap and back around 1st zip tie).
I think you should be able to shove more down the pipe, as long as it isn't submerged in water. I think the issue might be creating a vacuum siphon.
This works? Would it put stress on the metal strap, had to pull it out a bit.
B34D8B1C-0388-4414-8E47-8D24CCD01D02.jpeg