Home & Garden

What happens if water gets underneath LVP?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2020 9:09 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 16, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote

What happens if water gets underneath LVP?

Thinking ahead to an LVP install in the basement. Options are to glue directly onto the concrete, or have a floating floor on top of a vapour barrier. Is there a qualitative difference in the two in case of water infiltration? At what point would I have to rip up the floor to prevent mold growth?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4444 posts
3949 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think you'll find anyone recommending putting it directly onto the concrete, unless this will be 100% storage and never used as living space.

DRIcore or similar underlayments have so much more advantages in terms of warmth, water infiltration, etc. Is that what you mean by "a floating floor on top of a vapour barrier"?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1313 posts
590 upvotes
Does your slab get wet? Mine doesn't so I just put a 6mil poly with lvp on top and it's been fine here in Alberta. It's chilly to walk on in the winters but with my furnace heating the whole house it's not freezing cold.
[OP]
Oct 16, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
We had a basement leak last winter on that rainy day when the ground was still frozen. Water was coming up from underneath the floor so we had to rip it up. The old floor was some kind of engineered hardwood that clicked together and underneath we found some padding (probably underlayment - sorry I don't know the technical terms) that was on top of the concrete slab. We found a crack in the foundation that we fixed and so far so good. Just waiting to see what happens this winter before putting down a new floor.

My sense is that the LVP install would be similar. Clickable planks on top of an underlayment. I just wanted to know what would happen if god forbid we had the same water issue again. Would we have to rip up the floor again? If the planks were glued directly onto the concrete, then would it even be possible for water to get underneath the planks?