Automotive

What happens when I return rental car with small dent?

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2021 4:50 pm
[OP]
Jan 29, 2010
11 posts
Edmonton

What happens when I return rental car with small dent?

Worried that they will take me to the cleaners. Does anyone have any experience, advice, or information on their procedures? Thanks.
44 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
2434 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
MColleen wrote: Worried that they will take me to the cleaners. Does anyone have any experience, advice, or information on their procedures? Thanks.
you obviously did not buy any insurance here, if they catch you then you will be paying for it
if not, buy insurance next time
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1243 posts
762 upvotes
Southern Ontario
If you didn't get some sort of insurance, you will most likely be paying for damage.

Rental car people are pretty thorough and this is what they look for.

Many renters take a video of the car before and after to protect themselves from fraudulent claims. It seems you put a dent on the car somehow so they will most likely find it and charge you something. If you found it, chances are good they will too. If you look at a certain angle, you can see every imperfection of the car on each area (on the subject of dents).

If it was me, depending on the size of the dent, I'd be pulling out a plunger and see if I can pop it back out. If you try this, make sure you don't make it worse, sheet metal is so thin nowadays.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
19646 posts
7290 upvotes
Toronto
You are charged to repair it, what do you mean?
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3128 posts
2423 upvotes
Toronto
Your question cannot be answered by us. It depends on the size of the dent and the rental agency, then from there other factors like the rental agent. Enterprise in my experience has been the most forgiving if it is indeed small. They have a little diagram they go by usually if its about the size of a quarter or smaller they don't care.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15155 posts
3041 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
If it's a ding, they will forgive. If it's a dent, you will be charged. Hopefully you had credit-card with coverage.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6494 posts
5165 upvotes
MColleen wrote: Worried that they will take me to the cleaners. Does anyone have any experience, advice, or information on their procedures? Thanks.
Too many variables. If you have CDW coverage then you don't have to worry about it.

If you don't, it's luck of the draw if the return agent notice it or not.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1243 posts
762 upvotes
Southern Ontario
"Small dent" can mean different things to different people. Without a picture to go by, it's hard to say.

Does it look like this?

I know just driving around some female family members, they swing their purse (scratches) and knee the door to close it, slam the seat belt in the door, etc. Not much pride in ownership for a certain sex, in my experience.
[OP]
Jan 29, 2010
11 posts
Edmonton
Photo doesn't show, but it has started to pop out.
Images
  • IMG_20210503_211529557.jpg
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1476 posts
2375 upvotes
Canada, eh?
If you just drop it in hoping they won’t notice, it might backfire on you. They’ll end up doing the repairs themselves through a body shop then charging your cc on file for the repairs.

Even if they don’t notice, the next renter will notice it and will probably flag it before rental release.

Otherwise —
1) file damage report with rental agency
2) contact your credit card company that ha CDW insurance and file a claim (if used)
2a) if no CDW insurance, might want to check if your own auto insurance covers rental cars but your premiums will jump.
2b) pay out of pocket.
3) credit card company insurers contact directly with rental agency and deals with repairs, paper work, and pay out.
4) done.

I’ve gone through this process once out of renting every week for work back in 2018-2019. Fingers crossed I don’t have to deal with it ever again.

Just saw the photos — if you can make the bumper pop out, then it might not be an issue with rental agency. Most agencies don’t care about coin sized damages. In fact, a Hertz agency told me if the damage is less than a US dollar bill they’d ignore it (in US obviously)
Last edited by secretalcoholic on May 3rd, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4481 posts
3313 upvotes
MColleen wrote: Concerns above.
Highly recommend you remove the picture showing the license plate...jeez
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
14726 posts
4202 upvotes
Scarberia
CanadianLurker wrote: Why?
Privacy issues! That dent is very noticeable Face With Tears Of Joy
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
9931 posts
4856 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: Privacy issues! That dent is very noticeable Face With Tears Of Joy
Don’t be paranoid dog
Telus $45 25GB
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1548 posts
658 upvotes
Yeah people and their licence plates....like who cares, and in this case it isn't even their licence plate lol.

Turn in the vehicle and get ready to pay about $1000.....
Selling 2017 Ford Focus Electric, White, Cloth, 2 Sets of Tires and Rims, Undercoated and 3M Front End, 56k, - $16,000.00
Selling 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Unlimited Hybrid, White, 18inch x 2 Sets of Wheels, Undercoated, 48k, Extend War - $38,000.00
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13996 posts
8098 upvotes
Toronto
MColleen wrote: Photo doesn't show, but it has started to pop out.
dented and scratched. They won't miss that.