Automotive

This is what happens when you get the mechanic to change your oil.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2016 9:07 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
5119 posts
786 upvotes

This is what happens when you get the mechanic to change your oil.

I normally do my own oil changes and normally do one before winter and after winter. However, drove more than usual this year and had to do an oil change during winter. So ended up taking the car to the mechanic to change oil as its too cold to do it myself during the middle of winter.

Fast forward 4 months... So i went to change the oil again today... and the oil filter was on so tight... this is what happened...

I normally just use a small ratchet with the oil filter removal tool to take it off... but this time it was so tight I had to use my 24" breaker bar... and guess what... that still wasn't enough as I used so much force that the metal oil filter tool snapped in half...

Ended up only changing the oil and not the filter. The oil drain plug was also on extremely tight and I had to use the 24" breaker bar to get it off.
37 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1091 posts
498 upvotes
Torontario
the idiot has used probably the pneumatic pistol to ratchet as if with impact driver.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25466 posts
4609 upvotes
Yep, it's the same with all vehicles these days. I think they do it on purpose just so the average person can't get it off
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
5119 posts
786 upvotes
I've had previous mechanics put it on tight before... but this is a new level...

Previously I used this removal tool to take it off:
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/a ... -p8104028e

After having a mechanic put it on too tight, i wasn't able to take it off with that wrench so i bought the one in the picture posted:
https://www.amazon.ca/toyota-Aluminum-F ... KM9W6EYFND

which worked fine with the breaker bar without too much effort.

This time a different story... I would probably say it was over 200lb-ft, probably more... when its suppose to be 18lb-ft. I wonder if putting it that tight would damaged the oil filter housing...
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18564 posts
2931 upvotes
Langley
Yeah... I had to use my impact to get my drain plug off when I bought my truck.

But overall, real mechanics do a far better job then I do.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16258 posts
17734 upvotes
Oakville
Those garage monkeys aren't worthy of being called a mechanic. This is why I do everything myself, even in the winter. Also why I got myself a vacuum oil extractor.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
5119 posts
786 upvotes
Anyone know how much oil would come out if I only change the filter when my new oil filter wrench comes in? I know some cars its only the amount in the filter. Apparently ones located lower will drain out more oil? Car is a 2009 RX350.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4757 posts
5891 upvotes
Toronto, ON
azncapcom wrote: I normally do my own oil changes and normally do one before winter and after winter. However, drove more than usual this year and had to do an oil change during winter. So ended up taking the car to the mechanic to change oil as its too cold to do it myself during the middle of winter.

Fast forward 4 months... So i went to change the oil again today... and the oil filter was on so tight... this is what happened...

I normally just use a small ratchet with the oil filter removal tool to take it off... but this time it was so tight I had to use my 24" breaker bar... and guess what... that still wasn't enough as I used so much force that the metal oil filter tool snapped in half...

Ended up only changing the oil and not the filter. The oil drain plug was also on extremely tight and I had to use the 24" breaker bar to get it off.
From the looks of it, your filter wrench tool accomodates either 1/2" drive or 24mm(or similar size) socket.

It is always better to use the socket as it puts less stress on the tool.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18659 posts
2388 upvotes
Woodbridge
This is my fourth purchase and I was surprised when I first did the oil change on my Murano.

It was so tight that the filter cap didn't work it kept slipping off. I tried several tools and I think it was a Channel Lock that did it.

I probably spent half hour on it alone.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5706 posts
1883 upvotes
Space
Take a long flat head, drive it into the side of the filter and turn the filter off. Can't believe the filter adapter broke.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6300 posts
3361 upvotes
Mississauga
Solsearchin1 wrote: Take a long flat head, drive it into the side of the filter and turn the filter off.
Punch a hole in it first to drain the residual oil.

Had this happen in a previous vehicle after I took it to the dealership for its first oil change. The grease monkey torqued the filter in so tight it ripped the gasket off as I was prying the filter off. Never again.

Same with these tire shop jokers who use their impact gun set to 200 ft-lb to put the lug nuts back on.
Apr 8, 2010
785 posts
432 upvotes
toronto
wife took the car to one of those oil place changes as i was out of town and didn't have time. next oil change, same thing happened. spent about 30 getting the filter off only to find that the gasket was almost melted on. i guess the idiot to did the oil change didn't lube up the gasket on filter before putting it on. spent another 30min with a razor blade trying to scrape the rubber off.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
5119 posts
786 upvotes
Solsearchin1 wrote: Take a long flat head, drive it into the side of the filter and turn the filter off. Can't believe the filter adapter broke.
The car has a metal filter housing, that's how the metal wrench tool broke after applying so much pressure. Cant stab it with a screwdriver ( I had to do that once back when I had my corolla)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6392 posts
2040 upvotes
BC
So, a cartridge element as opposed to a canister filter. In many cases the cartridge is in a composite housing. Surprised it is metal in the Lexus and their removal tool is aluminum.

You need to be careful with transmitting force to where the housing joins the block or you will end up with a leak there.

The interesting question is how would your mechanic remove it had you taken it to him.

Probably not by using a long breaker bar. More likely by bumping it off with a few sharp raps with something like the rubber mallet in your tool tray. Much better to 'shock' it off rather than try to tear it off.

Even tap it lightly in the reverse direction first to prep. the bond for yielding.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5706 posts
1883 upvotes
Space
Try channel locks or a better oil filter adapter?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
5119 posts
786 upvotes
hightech wrote: Toyota dealer overtightened my oil filter which cracked the housing. I replaced it and stuck them with the bill
you actually managed to get the dealer to foot the bill? amazing.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1213 upvotes
aGincourt
I would have tried to drive around before changing the filter, a hot filter would be easier to remove