Cell Phones

What has everyone done with their landlines? I feel like my mom pays too much for hers at her place.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2018 1:13 am
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1399 posts
301 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Try calling the home phone provider. I'm with Telus, and after calling them they lowered my monthly charge to $10 a month.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1968 posts
1573 upvotes
510 represen'
It should be free or not more than $1 a month at this point.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2631 upvotes
GTA West
A lot of good options are being proposed to you. BUT, if she decides to keep the landline, get it through a reseller to reduce the cost of getting it from the telco. I use "The Voice Network" here in Ontario - a good saving from Bell. You get the same service with no changes except for the billing. And you don't have to become 24/7 tech support for your mom.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Are you existing robbers customer?? See if you can negotiate the modem for free. I was able to get first yr free service (reg $20), zero cost modem, and thereafter $10 a month.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireles ... home-phone
Includes: Enhanced Voicemail, Call Display, Call Forwarding1, Call Waiting, Conference Calling and Unlimited Canada-wide calling2, Unlimited US calling
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7963 posts
1142 upvotes
FPL + Obi202 for me. Can't beat free. My parents have a separate line than my Grandma. Grandma can use google voice for free to states and cheap international. Was pretty easy. The only problems are when issues arise but I can usually fix it for them via the Obi web portal.

One time they needed a Rogers tech to come fix some internet shit and he messed with my connections so Line 1 became Line 2, just flipped it around again on the portal to reverse it back.
Apr 18, 2014
37 posts
9 upvotes
Myanmar
My Ooma service is very unreliable with lots of echo, stuttering and people that can't hear me at all, very dangerous for emergencies. But I can hear people 5/5.

I'll have to change soon.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1849 posts
1299 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: Are you existing robbers customer?? See if you can negotiate the modem for free. I was able to get first yr free service (reg $20), zero cost modem, and thereafter $10 a month.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireles ... home-phone
Includes: Enhanced Voicemail, Call Display, Call Forwarding1, Call Waiting, Conference Calling and Unlimited Canada-wide calling2, Unlimited US calling
That's incredible. How did you swing that? Especially a year of service for free!
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
RCML27 wrote: That's incredible. How did you swing that? Especially a year of service for free!
Ancient Chinese Secret. :twisted:
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
HBP wrote: FPL + Obi202 for me. Can't beat free. My parents have a separate line than my Grandma. Grandma can use google voice for free to states and cheap international. Was pretty easy. The only problems are when issues arise but I can usually fix it for them via the Obi web portal.
Should be almost mindless after server failover in the ATA has been setup and QoS and UDP timeouts have been configured properly in a router:
http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.