• Jan 23rd, 2014 11:56 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 8, 2006
250 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto

what to have for breakfast?!

arghhh i get so frustrated first thing in the morning! trying to figure out what to have every morning is such a pain. more than half the people i ask what they eat every morning, they just say the skip breakfast. so kinda hard to figure this out.

its important to be practical, therefore go with something that'll take less than 5 mins to make. but it also needs to be filling. cereal is easy but not very filling at all, you're hungry 20 mins later. oatmeal is similar. eggs i guess are do-able but they dont taste very good the way i make them somehow; and they involve bread which i'd prefer to avoid, tho it might not be possible.

any healthy options??

thanks!
50 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
946 upvotes
Sask.
I just had leftover homemade pizza from yesterday, hits most of the food groups!
Actually, any leftovers are good - doesn't have to be 'breakfast food'...

Sometimes I just fork-scramble an egg in a soupbowl, nuke it for a minute, cut in half, eat each on a piece of toast.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
I make a large batch of steel-cut oats every week. I keep it in a container in the fridge and scoop out a serving at a time. Just microwave for a minute or so, add a bit of milk or cream and a teaspoon of maple syrup. It is way better than rolled or quick oats, and it will keep all week in the fridge. Our Costco sells it in a huge box. It requires longer cooking than regular oatmeal, about 20 minutes. I add brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to it near the end of cooking along with a cup or so of milk.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
Steak and baked potato.

Bacon and fried eggs on the side.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
hard boiled eggs or sardines.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bigdan wrote: its important to be practical, therefore go with something that'll take less than 5 mins to make. but it also needs to be filling. cereal is easy but not very filling at all, you're hungry 20 mins later. oatmeal is similar. eggs i guess are do-able but they dont taste very good the way i make them somehow; and they involve bread which i'd prefer to avoid, tho it might not be possible.
Just curious, how are you making your eggs?
Jun 29, 2007
580 posts
39 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: I make a large batch of steel-cut oats every week. I keep it in a container in the fridge and scoop out a serving at a time. Just microwave for a minute or so, add a bit of milk or cream and a teaspoon of maple syrup. It is way better than rolled or quick oats, and it will keep all week in the fridge. Our Costco sells it in a huge box. It requires longer cooking than regular oatmeal, about 20 minutes. I add brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to it near the end of cooking along with a cup or so of milk.
This.

I mix 3 cups of water, 1 cup of milk, and 1 cup of steel oats and bake it for an hour then i'm good for the rest of the week. Very convenient and filling breakfast to have before stepping out the door. I switch up what i eat for breakfast sometimes (toast/eggs/muffin+yogurt) but oatmeal is the best if you want to feel full.

I can't stand the quick 1 or 5 minute oatmeal though, it's so soggy.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
Another Steel cut oat eater here. This is my routine. Very fast, very easy, absolutely no fuss.

I usually make a two day serving the night before (sure you can do more but I do two days at a time)...nuke 2/3 c of water for 2 min on high. add 1/2 cup of steel cut oats, cover and leave it on my counter.

Next day, I nuke half of that for 1 min 40 s and let it sit five or ten minutes in the microwave while I make my coffee [put the other half in the fridge for next day]. After making coffee, I add some milk/water to the oatmeal that's been sitting in my nuker and then nuke again for around 1 min....watch it as it "puffs" up and can overflow/blowup in your nuker if you overheat it. Stop it as soon as you see it puffing.

Add honey/cinnamon/brown sugar/maple syrup/nuts/butter/coconut oil or whatever topping you want including a bit more milk (to cool it so you can eat right away without burning your tongue). Enjoy.

Another method....similar to mine but a bit more fussy in my opinion.

http://www.thekitchn.com/oatmeal-in-jar ... tee-143623
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
I have Alpen or other granola cereals and they are very filling. I put the Welches frozen wild blueberries on it from when they were on sale a few weeks ago.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5520 upvotes
Toronto
western and cheese omelettes most of the time.
prepare the veg mixture the night before (I make enough to last a few days) so it's ready to add to eggs in the morning.
personally love runny yolks so most of the time I'll separate the white from the yolks. make the omelette using the egg whites and add the raw yolks on top. raw yolks are also much healthier.

mix up the sides…smoked salmon, avocadoes, smoked pork loin, hash browns, bacon, etc.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2005
2058 posts
75 upvotes
The trick is to make things ahead so it’s quick and easy in the morning (no fuss). Everything listed here can be made ahead

Baked oatmeal – make it at the beginning of the week, portion it out and easy to microwave in the morning (freezes very well)

Breakfast burrito – make ahead and freeze (eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes in a tortilla)

Quinoa pancakes

Boiled eggs

Muffins (esp high fibre ones)

Quiche / Frittata

Also, you really don’t need to eat “breakfast” foods for breakfast. Growing up, my mom made “lunch/dinner” foods for breakfast (e.g., sausage in a bun, homemade hamburgers on whole wheat, tuna etc). May sound strange but really wasn’t strange to us.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6132 posts
1005 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
funkyfr3sh_ wrote: Also, you really don’t need to eat “breakfast” foods for breakfast. Growing up, my mom made “lunch/dinner” foods for breakfast (e.g., sausage in a bun, homemade hamburgers on whole wheat, tuna etc). May sound strange but really wasn’t strange to us.
Food is food, it is only societies norms that makes it weird. Besides, everyone knows cold pizza is amazing for breakfast.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote: Just curious, how are you making your eggs?
However OP does it, it can't get much worse than this:
natalka wrote: Sometimes I just fork-scramble an egg in a soupbowl, nuke it for a minute, cut in half, eat each on a piece of toast.
The only thing I would use a microwave for with eggs is to soft boil them... and that's only with one of those microwave egg cookers. Otherwise you're just building a bomb.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
joeyjoejoe wrote: However OP does it, it can't get much worse than this:

The only thing I would use a microwave for with eggs is to soft boil them... and that's only with one of those microwave egg cookers. Otherwise you're just building a bomb.
chawan mushi comes out pretty good out of a microwave.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Sep 8, 2006
250 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote: However OP does it, it can't get much worse than this:

hahahahahhaha!!!!
Sep 8, 2006
250 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
thanks for the great advice guys. so it looks like oatmeal is the clear winner, prepared in advance. i just havent found it particularly filling or satisfying yet. i guess the point is to just have more of it, and play w/ the extra ingredients.

@Nakuruin
>I mix 3 cups of water, 1 cup of milk, and 1 cup of steel oats and bake it for an hour

In this case do you boil the water and milk, then add oats? If cooking for an hour, what kinda heat does one use for that?
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
If you want something hearty and more filling, get beans in there. It doesn't spike up your blood sugar so you get the less ups and downs associated with more simpler carbs.

Sprinkling some cayenne pepper helps it go down (you can maybe throw beans in your oatmeal, omelette, or burrito)

A bag of beans is around $3 and can last more than a week. Make the night before and put in a large tupperware taking what you need when you need it. You'd be surprised at how a couple of spoons of it can fill you up.

Kidney beans are good. I use it as a replacement primarily from your typical carb sources. Get ~2 cups of dry beans, rinse then soak for minimum 6-8 hours, rinse, heat on stove top on high for 10 mins, than bring down to med/low, put a lid on it for another hour. Stir occasionally to make sure it doesn't stick too much. Rinse, dry for a bit, and your good to go.

Hard to eat it everyday all the time, but it's a good habit and food to get in there.
Sep 8, 2006
250 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote: If you want something hearty and more filling, get beans in there. It doesn't spike up your blood sugar so you get the less ups and downs associated with more simpler carbs.

Sprinkling some cayenne pepper helps it go down (you can maybe throw beans in your oatmeal, omelette, or burrito)

A bag of beans is around $3 and can last more than a week. Make the night before and put in a large tupperware taking what you need when you need it. You'd be surprised at how a couple of spoons of it can fill you up.

Kidney beans are good. I use it as a replacement primarily from your typical carb sources. Get ~2 cups of dry beans, rinse then soak for minimum 6-8 hours, rinse, heat on stove top on high for 10 mins, than bring down to med/low, put a lid on it for another hour. Stir occasionally to make sure it doesn't stick too much. Rinse, dry for a bit, and your good to go.

Hard to eat it everyday all the time, but it's a good habit and food to get in there.

thanks for this. actually i visited ireland for 2 weeks and they gave baked beans w/ a friend egg and mushrooms every day. the beans was the biggest part. i did indeed think it was a good breakfast.

but while we're talking blood sugar and all that, are baked beans OK? i mean the canned ones (if there's more than one type) w/ the tomato sauce already added. ofc that'll be quite filling but from a health / sugar perspective.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bigdan wrote: thanks for this. actually i visited ireland for 2 weeks and they gave baked beans w/ a friend egg and mushrooms every day. the beans was the biggest part. i did indeed think it was a good breakfast.

but while we're talking blood sugar and all that, are baked beans OK? i mean the canned ones (if there's more than one type) w/ the tomato sauce already added. ofc that'll be quite filling but from a health / sugar perspective.
I love the "English" Breakfast as well, but I don't think at1212b was referring to canned pre-fab baked beans when he was suggesting to include them with breakfast.

The problem with baked beans (whether the sauce is based on tomatoes or on molasses) is that there's quite a bit of added sugar. And in fact, sugar is ingredient #3 on the list, right after water and beans. Looking at a can of Heinz "Original" beans with Pork & Tomato sauce, it contains 150 calories and 8g of sugar per 125mL. One can contains 398mL, so we're talking about a 25g of sugar here. The Heinz "Deep Browned" variety is even worse.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)