Pets

What the HAY?! (having trouble sourcing hay supplies for my rabbits)

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2020 11:48 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3957 posts
4139 upvotes

What the HAY?! (having trouble sourcing hay supplies for my rabbits)

I have bunnies (my secret confession now shared with the world) and I am FLOORED that on Amazon.ca and Petsmart, most of the hay is all 'taken'. I mean, try and buy any Oxbow hay right now off of Amazon.ca - all sold out. Try getting Oxbow Timothy Hay in Petsmart.ca and most locations have it sold out too.

I came across freshay.ca and there's little to no info on this company. I did a Domain WHOIS lookup to see that the company/website was launched in Feb 2019. I mean, their 2nd cut hay looks reasonable in price, but how are they able to undercut Oxbow that much? There are no guarantees of no additives, preservatives etc (Oxbow has that at least). That said they do sell 'branded' hay from one other well known manufacturer but all this to state:

What the hay?!

It's not like our pets are going to magically eat more while we're all at home.

So PSA: Go get hay.

I'll confess to now having stocked up on like 6 hay bags (don't judge unless you have bunnies) and god knows how many bags of bedding.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Apr 12th, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added detail to title so it's not clickbait
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
13 replies
Sep 26, 2009
136 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
angryaudifanatic wrote: I have bunnies (my secret confession now shared with the world) and I am FLOORED that on Amazon.ca and Petsmart, most of the hay is all 'taken'. I mean, try and buy any Oxbow hay right now off of Amazon.ca - all sold out. Try getting Oxbow Timothy Hay in Petsmart.ca and most locations have it sold out too.

I came across freshay.ca and there's little to no info on this company. I did a Domain WHOIS lookup to see that the company/website was launched in Feb 2019. I mean, their 2nd cut hay looks reasonable in price, but how are they able to undercut Oxbow that much? There are no guarantees of no additives, preservatives etc (Oxbow has that at least). That said they do sell 'branded' hay from one other well known manufacturer but all this to state:

What the hay?!

It's not like our pets are going to magically eat more while we're all at home.

So PSA: Go get hay.

I'll confess to now having stocked up on like 6 hay bags (don't judge unless you have bunnies) and god knows how many bags of bedding.
Hey there.

My wife and I use to have a guinea pig but right now, I thankfully haven't had to worry about getting hay/pellets for our pet.

May I ask where you are located? My wife and I use to get our Oxbow hay from a place called Global Pet Foods. I use to know the owner and they had several locations around us; it might be worth while to call them up and check. Another store that might have hay is PetValu?

Also, what type of hay are you looking for? Timothy, Orchard Grass, Alfalfa, etc? You are right and I see a lot of OOS, but I found some places near and in the GTA with some stock left.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3957 posts
4139 upvotes
jaydubayew wrote: Hey there.

My wife and I use to have a guinea pig but right now, I thankfully haven't had to worry about getting hay/pellets for our pet.

May I ask where you are located? My wife and I use to get our Oxbow hay from a place called Global Pet Foods. I use to know the owner and they had several locations around us; it might be worth while to call them up and check. Another store that might have hay is PetValu?

Also, what type of hay are you looking for? Timothy, Orchard Grass, Alfalfa, etc? You are right and I see a lot of OOS, but I found some places near and in the GTA with some stock left.
I'm in Durham Region and snagged 6 90oz hay bags from Petvalu. They do have some, but I suspect they too are on their way out. The problem with hay, especially for guinea pigs, is that they don't like hard/dried out hay, so you have to be careful here. There is a best before date at the bottom of the bag and the ones I snagged were end of year 2022 so I should be OK for a while.

Western Timothy hay (1st cut) is what rabbits prefer although I understand this sort of hay is also very fondly admired by guinea pigs as well! Bunnies prefer hard hay, guinea pigs, not so much!
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Sep 26, 2009
136 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
angryaudifanatic wrote: I'm in Durham Region and snagged 6 90oz hay bags from Petvalu. They do have some, but I suspect they too are on their way out. The problem with hay, especially for guinea pigs, is that they don't like hard/dried out hay, so you have to be careful here. There is a best before date at the bottom of the bag and the ones I snagged were end of year 2022 so I should be OK for a while.

Western Timothy hay (1st cut) is what rabbits prefer although I understand this sort of hay is also very fondly admired by guinea pigs as well! Bunnies prefer hard hay, guinea pigs, not so much!
Ah nice. You are right .. I remember our GP was super picky with their hay. We would always get the biggest bag thinking it was the best deal but he would barely get through half the bag and then stop eating the rest because it was "old". We also used to get Timothy Hay for our GP. I could see some PetSmarts with some of the 15oz hay in and around Toronto too if you are desperate and willing to make the commute.

In the latter half of our GPs life, he was constantly on critical care that I ordered off of Amazon. Hopefully your rabbits doesn't ever need it, but if so, I know of some places where you might be able to get it if you are desperate!

Also, try and call/e-mail Global Pet Foods. I know they get shipments here and there and always got the freshest hay from them (a lot fresher than Petsmart). You might be able to do a pick up with them as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3957 posts
4139 upvotes
jaydubayew wrote: Ah nice. You are right .. I remember our GP was super picky with their hay. We would always get the biggest bag thinking it was the best deal but he would barely get through half the bag and then stop eating the rest because it was "old". We also used to get Timothy Hay for our GP. I could see some PetSmarts with some of the 15oz hay in and around Toronto too if you are desperate and willing to make the commute.

In the latter half of our GPs life, he was constantly on critical care that I ordered off of Amazon. Hopefully your rabbits don't ever need it but if so, I know of some places where you might be able to get it if you are desperate!

Also, try and call/e-mail Global Pet Foods. I know they get shipments here and there and always got the freshest hay from them (a lot fresher than Petsmart). You might be able to do a pick up with them as well.
Thanks for the insight! The 'trick' that I have found for my bunnies (they eat more than guinea pigs of course), is that after the 90oz bag is say 1/4 of the way done, is to squeeze all of the air out by rolling the bag, and then putting the bag upside down to keep the air out. Seems to help, but Oxbow has seriously gotten more and more terrible over the years, although they are still a notch above the rest! I really want to give that freshay.ca thing a try as after speaking to the people on the phone they seemed pretty nice and knowledgeable but there's just not enough details on the site!

I'm a black/white sort of gal given my occupation
Sep 26, 2009
136 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
angryaudifanatic wrote: Thanks for the insight! The 'trick' that I have found for my bunnies (they eat more than guinea pigs of course), is that after the 90oz bag is say 1/4 of the way done, is to squeeze all of the air out by rolling the bag, and then putting the bag upside down to keep the air out. Seems to help, but Oxbow has seriously gotten more and more terrible over the years, although they are still a notch above the rest! I really want to give that freshay.ca thing a try as after speaking to the people on the phone they seemed pretty nice and knowledgeable but there's just not enough details on the site!

I'm a black/white sort of gal given my occupation
Haha yes we would always do our best to squeeze out all the air from our bags too! Same goes for the pellets (they would get old, etc and refuse to eat even though we did our best to keep it fresh). We found that we often had two bags of hay going, 1 that was fresher and 1 that was older. The older hay was used and placed in our GP's littler box since he would love to eat and do his business in there, and the fresh hay would of course go into the hay bin. If you tried to mix the two, he would pick out all the old hay and only eat the new hay while making a giant mess.

We also found that our GP loves eating the flower parts of the hay, so we would pick those out. No matter how old they were, he would still love them. If we mixed it with old hay, sometimes he would be more willing to eat the old hay. Maybe this trick will help your rabbits if your hay starts to go stale :)!

I've never ordered hay online/ or anywhere else other than Petsmart or Global Pet Foods and I've only ever gotten Timothy Hay. If your rabbits aren't too picky, there are some 40 oz blends available at the Petsmarts around me: https://www.petsmart.ca/small-pet/food- ... gid=600109
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1385 posts
396 upvotes
Brampton
Serious question as I am also looking to get one for my daughter. Are the bunnies destructive eg: chew baseboards, sofas, wires etc? Are they difficult to train and high maintenance?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3957 posts
4139 upvotes
dealerguy wrote: Serious question as I am also looking to get one for my daughter. Are the bunnies destructive eg: chew baseboards, sofas, wires etc? Are they difficult to train and high maintenance?
I've never had my bunnies do any of this. That said, since it's just me in my detached house they have plenty of space to run around in. They have their 3 story home and their own play time area which is about the size of a normal bedroom. It's all 'gated' off using a device like the one at the bottom of this post: (I don't recall the exact one I used but you get the idea). Put down a layer of garbage bags on the hardwood and then two or three large microfiber blankets and give them a bunch of fresh food, hay and otherwise. They keep to themselves. When I want to interact with them I either go to them or I bring them onto the couch, but when that happens, be prepared to be fluff bombed :D

Biggest concern with any 'small' animal is giving them enough space. I feel so sad when I see videos on Youtube (guinea pig, rabbits etc). They need a LOT of space and a LOT of fresh food. I don't go as far as buying my little ones organic food but you just need to look out for the signs of pesticide poisoning. (they eat a lot relative to their size - guinea pigs too).

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0758FX7MJ/ref ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
Oct 17, 2013
170 posts
102 upvotes
Ontario
There are quite a few farmers selling hay on Kijiji, there will be more very soon as hay season starts. You can get a high quality, small square bale of hay (50lbs) for under $10. If you can drive, go enjoy a beautiful day out and get a great deal. While you're on the drive, stop in at a farm supply store and buy rabbit food at a fraction of the price of pet stores, they are not sold out.
Apr 24, 2020
2 posts
Hi there, our sun-cured premium hay are all imported from Western USA and it doesn't have any preservatives and additives in our premium hay

We provided a wide selections of different cutting of Timothy based on your guinea pigs or rabbit preference. You'll definitely know the difference right away.

We also carry Small pet Select brand that has been the choice of brand from many small pet owner in the USA.

Hopefully you guys get a chance to our Western Timothy hay or Small Pet Select product to see the difference.
Apr 24, 2020
2 posts
Hi there,

Rabbits could be destructive and especially if the are not spayed and neutered and it cost around $300.00 to $400.00 for thr surgery.

It is very important to rabbit proof ect. No visible wires the area the rabbit is situated in. Store bought cage are not idea living space for your rabbit.

Please do all your research from proper diet and to proper care before considering getting a rabbit.
Dec 23, 2017
2 posts
Toronto
I've purchased hay from Fresh Hay for over two years.
The quality is excellent. A lot of people in rabbit and guinea pig community buy from them.

I know some of the bunny people are still going are still going to farms and buying the timothy 12lb bales for $6, but that quality is much coarser. A lot more waste. Also, for people like me, in an apt, no car, getting 6lb or 8lb of good quality hay delivered is perfect. Zero waste.

The owner has pet guinea pigs and a rabbit. The business started & grew organically because a lot of us in the rescue community do not have cars and want good quality hay we can afford.

Anyway, the owner found a supplier out west, bought a skid to test out his idea, shipped it to Toronto by train, had it tested in a lab to make sure it was what the supplier claimed with regard to protein, sugar, absence of chemicals, mould etc. I was among the first customers to buy the first batch.
He sold out quickly and it has been word-of-mouth through the rescue community and beyond.

I usually get 6lb lb Orchard Grass and pay $5 for delivery. I keep it loosing packed in two small tote bins - the lid is not secured. It is just sort of sideways to ensure airflow. It cannot be an airtight container or kept in a bag or you risk mould.

Anyway, the hay is good. Two paws up.
Last edited by KenzFC on Apr 26th, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 23, 2017
2 posts
Toronto
Bunnies are a lot of work - like most pets. They are intelligent and require a lot of stimulation. They need lot of space and exercise. They definitely can be destructive because they need to chew. They can be very territorial. Unneutered male bunnies can be territorial with human males.

Vet bills are more expensive because you have to go to sn exotics vet.

Visit multiple rabbit rescue websites and read about their care. Are you prepared to make 12 year committment? What about massive shedding twice a year in addition to regular shedding?

I loved my bunny. However, i had no idea when I got him that he was almost as much work as a dog. He lived 13 years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3957 posts
4139 upvotes
FreshayCanada wrote: Hi there, our sun-cured premium hay are all imported from Western USA and it doesn't have any preservatives and additives in our premium hay

We provided a wide selections of different cutting of Timothy based on your guinea pigs or rabbit preference. You'll definitely know the difference right away.

We also carry Small pet Select brand that has been the choice of brand from many small pet owner in the USA.

Hopefully you guys get a chance to our Western Timothy hay or Small Pet Select product to see the difference.
Thank you for commenting and indeed had a chance to speak with someone at your store. Your website doesn't actually state that the hay that your company sources is pesticide/preservative free nor imported from Western USA. If you put it on the site I'd feel more comfortable buying it because a company must be able to back up what they claim if it's in black/white.

I think that would go a long way with me giving your company a shot business wise! I thank you for all that you do for this community of small animals!