Automotive

What the hell went wrong when trying to report a collision?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2018 7:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11118 posts
2176 upvotes
Durham Region

What the hell went wrong when trying to report a collision?

I got rear ended by someone who was not paying (looking at other cars apparently?) attention at about 11:10PM last week, happened while I was stretching my back/tensed up a bit.

The following morning, I went to the body shop for an estimate (one I chose of course, and conveniently one my insurance company works with) and was quoted $2400. He said he couldn't afford that so I responded saying I will have to go through insurance. (And no, I'm not running around wasting my time getting more quotes).

Anyways. we both arrive at the collision reporting centre. They were fairly busy with a woman who ran a red light and hit a large vehicle which then hit 2-3 others from what I gathered. I waited for 2.5 hours.

Eventually my number gets called, I hand the woman (who was in a really pissed off mood already) my insurance and ownership when she asked and she immediately asks "Where are you parked, on the far left?" I said yes, she responds with (That's police only parking, didn't you see the very large sign!" My response was a simple "There's a single sign, much like a handicap parking sign that says police parking, with normal vehicles parked all beside it so I thought it was fine, but I'll move it if I need to". She then responds "It's fine, you don't need to report this collision as it's under $1000".

Even after saying "bodyshop quote was $2400" she says "No, I'm not coming out to look at your car as there's no way a cracked bumper on your 2017 Honda Civic is going to cost over $1000, goodbye, I have to take care of other people's collisions that need reporting". And no,
no one came outside to take the pictures or put that sticker on it that they usually do, nor would they do it at all.

Needless to say I was extremely angry and left.

I called my insurance and they noted it on my file. What I'm a little iffy about now is that this seems to have brought up a past injury, not to it's full extent, but the same pain I had from a previous car accident a few years ago is probably back about 65-75%.

Knowing that there is no police report, will this, at least to an insurance company, appear as if the accident wasn't likely at all in any way to cause an injury? I am debating if I should mention it to my insurance company and see if I can get SOME physiotherapy. No, I'm not looking to sue the guy, but I really can't deal with the same injury again as the first time it was horrible and my job doesn't help in the matter either. Is that how it works though? I honestly can't remember the process of how it worked the first time.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3636 posts
751 upvotes
Yes the people at collision center are clueless, they think they are bodyshop and know everything. I had similar experience, c’est la vie.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35652 posts
21738 upvotes
Center of Universe
The $1000 threshold doesn't automatically void your claim for repair and injury related expenses.
It will be interesting to see what your insurance company decides.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1851 posts
1603 upvotes
Ottawa
I would've asked what she drove if she gave me attitude like that. They don't make much working there. I would've also pulled the "get your manager out here too".
Last edited by iflyplanes on Feb 8th, 2018 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 25, 2009
420 posts
331 upvotes
I had the same 3 months ago. It was a headache. Though the cop at the counter was more respectful and actually did go out to take a look.

I just hope for you that the other person has insurance, because the person that hit me, had expired insurance/suspended license (I didn't know because he showed me proof, I didnt have any way to check at the scene).

Insurance made me pay out of pocket for the deductible, while the other drive with no insurance/suspended license got off free. I even told the cop at the collision center that he is likely driving without insurance/license. The cop just shrugged it off.
Apr 24, 2011
429 posts
191 upvotes
Scarborough
I believe only police officers take information at the collision? Not sure if it'll be even worth the effort but maybe consider filing a complaint about her if you have her information.

More importantly to answer your question, police reporting and their opinions don't hold much standing in the eyes of insurance. Assuming you have all the necessary information (other party's DL, insurance, pictures, etc.), explain to your agent or insurance rep the situation and they should be able to give you details on your coverage which may include physio.

My ex-gf rear-ended someone who cut her off during a snowstorm and she wasn't able to stop in time so she hit the right side of the rear bumper. Officer at collision center said insurance will put fault on her because she hit the rear bumper and he was fairly confident (but friendly) about it. Insurance deemed her 100% not at fault.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
397 upvotes
I was actually told previously that collision centre were for claims over $2000 (rather than $1000).

The lady sounds rude, but she is partially right in that a bumper damage would normally not be $2400? When you went to the body shop (and you mentioned this was a body shop the insurance company recommended) is it likely that they used an inflated estimate (as so many do when dealing with direct insurance claims)? For instance, a place I went to straight up to me it would be $X amount of money if I went through insurance and $Y if i paid for it myself. I think they inflate the prices in order to get more from insurance.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35652 posts
21738 upvotes
Center of Universe
kmarcie wrote: I was actually told previously that collision centre were for claims over $2000 (rather than $1000).

The lady sounds rude, but she is partially right in that a bumper damage would normally not be $2400? When you went to the body shop (and you mentioned this was a body shop the insurance company recommended) is it likely that they used an inflated estimate (as so many do when dealing with direct insurance claims)? For instance, a place I went to straight up to me it would be $X amount of money if I went through insurance and $Y if i paid for it myself. I think they inflate the prices in order to get more from insurance.
What's your point?
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12481 posts
9188 upvotes
GTA, ON
Are you in Ontario? Any injury should still fall under a MIG for MVA
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
397 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: What's your point?
Obvious point being that the damage may, in fact, not be over $2000 and that the rude lady at the collision centre may be partially right even if her attitude was not.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35652 posts
21738 upvotes
Center of Universe
kmarcie wrote: Obvious point being that the damage may, in fact, not be over $2000 and that the rude lady at the collision centre may be partially right even if her attitude was not.
It doesn't matter what she thinks, you and I think or the insurance.
The quote that the shop provides is what counts.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
397 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: It doesn't matter what she thinks, you and I think or the insurance.
The quote that the shop provides is what counts.
However, there is a common rate for damages typically incurred in small accidents. I'm suggesting the possibility that the shop has overestimated the cost of the damage, therefore the claim may not need to be reported, just like what she said. A collision report is not required to submit a claim to the insurance company nor will it affect OP's benefits if he/she is injured. It sounds like it would be a minor injury which would have up to $3500 for medical rehab/attendant care.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35652 posts
21738 upvotes
Center of Universe
kmarcie wrote: However, there is a common rate for damages typically incurred in small accidents. I'm suggesting the possibility that the shop has overestimated the cost of the damage, therefore the claim may not need to be reported, just like what she said. A collision report is not required to submit a claim to the insurance company nor will it affect OP's benefits if he/she is injured. It sounds like it would be a minor injury which would have up to $3500 for medical rehab/attendant care.
You're missing the point.
It's not up to OP to assess the quote and decided whether or not he should go to the colloision sensor and it's also not up to the front desk admin to make assuptions without following up.
This is the process that was created and if it's too time consuming, change it!
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
397 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: You're missing the point.
It's not up to OP to assess the quote and decided whether or not he should go to the colloision sensor and it's also not up to the front desk admin to make assuptions without following up.
This is the process that was created and if it's too time consuming, change it!
Actually, anyone can make an assessment about the cost of damage following an accident. An 'official' quote is not needed and OP is not required to have brought it into any garage, that he did does help him and the third party to decide whether they are handling it private or through insurance. But certain types of damage still typically doesn't meet the threshold for $2000. I could have a slight scratch or a dinged door from a parking lot, and no matter what anyone says, that type of accident doesn't need to be reported to a collision centre.

In OP's case the damage is obviously more than a dinged door and I agree the rude girl should have allowed OP the benefit of the doubt, but her reasoning is likely just that a cracked bumper doesn't meet the threshold. It sucks for the OP that he had to wait 2.5hrs to be told that and that should be changed.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11118 posts
2176 upvotes
Durham Region
kmarcie wrote: Actually, anyone can make an assessment about the cost of damage following an accident. An 'official' quote is not needed and OP is not required to have brought it into any garage, that he did does help him and the third party to decide whether they are handling it private or through insurance. But certain types of damage still typically doesn't meet the threshold for $2000. I could have a slight scratch or a dinged door from a parking lot, and no matter what anyone says, that type of accident doesn't need to be reported to a collision centre.

In OP's case the damage is obviously more than a dinged door and I agree the rude girl should have allowed OP the benefit of the doubt, but her reasoning is likely just that a cracked bumper doesn't meet the threshold. It sucks for the OP that he had to wait 2.5hrs to be told that and that should be changed.

Alright, just to shed some light on the $ amount of the damage. My friend has the exact same car I do (same year, model and trim) just a different colour. He was also rear ended but settled via cash/no insurance claim. he paid $2600 if I'm not mistaken to have it repaired.

Secondly, when I went to the body shop I first asked how much it would be to fix it, I didn't mention anything about insurance and the shop owner even said $2400. Also remember, on a car that is under 12 months old, I would assume it is a bit more expensive to have repaired than a car that is 5+ years old.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11118 posts
2176 upvotes
Durham Region
vkizzle wrote: The $1000 threshold doesn't automatically void your claim for repair and injury related expenses.
It will be interesting to see what your insurance company decides.
Well they deemed me 100% not-at-fault right away and it is getting repaired in late March.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35652 posts
21738 upvotes
Center of Universe
XtremeModder wrote: Well they deemed me 100% not-at-fault right away and it is getting repaired in late March.
Then nothing to worry about and screw the hag at the reporting centre :)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11118 posts
2176 upvotes
Durham Region
vkizzle wrote: Then nothing to worry about and screw the hag at the reporting centre :)
That's what I thought, I'll call them up tomorrow and inquire about physio, it's been 1 week (by 11pm tonight) and the pain is affecting my performance levels at work unfortunately.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12481 posts
9188 upvotes
GTA, ON
XtremeModder wrote: That's what I thought, I'll call them up tomorrow and inquire about physio, it's been 1 week (by 11pm tonight) and the pain is affecting my performance levels at work unfortunately.
The first thing you should do is go to your doctor and have them check you out even if it has been one week. The MDs assessment will make any future paperwork go a lot smoother. I HATE OCF forms.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11118 posts
2176 upvotes
Durham Region
chimaican wrote: The first thing you should do is go to your doctor and have them check you out even if it has been one week. The MDs assessment will make any future paperwork go a lot smoother. I HATE OCF forms.
Will do that in the morning (make an appointment at least). Thanks.