• Sep 16th, 2021 11:14 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 10, 2019
25 posts
4 upvotes

What HVAC system is this?

Hi all,

Can someone explain the HVAC system in this condo? See pics. It is a 20 year old low rise building. There are vents throughout the unit which means it is forced air.

Listing for the condo says it is a "Furnace/Water Heater Combo". Equipment name is "Mark II H series" and this is the manual: https://www.laars.com/images/uploads/products/1105.pdf

I read the manual and it is jibberish to me. I hope someone can explain in layman's terms what each unit does.

There's also another tank "Amtrol" next to the Mark II and a condenser unit outside.

Is this unit both a furnace and a water heater? And where does cold air comes from?

The unit is also rental but apparently no fee to break (I guess given the age).
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
3 replies
Jan 19, 2013
631 posts
454 upvotes
Ottawa
The Laars is a 2 in 1 boiler with a domestic water heater coil going thru the storage tank.
There’s a air handler somewhere else with a hydronic heating coil and evaporator coil for the condenser.
[OP]
Jul 10, 2019
25 posts
4 upvotes
Are boilers common? Sorry I have no experience with boilers.

So does this boiler supply hot air like a furnace? [edit] According to google, boilers supply hot water to radiators... but there are no radiators. So does this mean the condo building supplies hot air? and the condo unit supplies hot water and AC?
Jan 19, 2013
631 posts
454 upvotes
Ottawa
Imperatvs wrote: Are boilers common? Sorry I have no experience with boilers.

So does this boiler supply hot air like a furnace? [edit] According to google, boilers supply hot water to radiators... but there are no radiators. So does this mean the condo building supplies hot air? and the condo unit supplies hot water and AC?
Combi boilers are common, not nearly as much as a traditional gas furnace.
This type is not so common with a storage tank.
There’s a air handler aka fan coil aka “furnace” somewhere.
That moves the air over the heating and cooling coils.
Look for a big metal box with ductwork attached to it, copper pipes from the boiler, lineset from the a/c.