• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2021 9:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4009 posts
1611 upvotes

What ice melters are safe for concrete pavers

Is this safe to use? I can't find out what chemical it uses. I don't want to damage the pavers, they are pretty new.

What about asphalt?

https://windsorsalt.com/product/safer-for-concrete/

Finally found a site that lists the chemicals - Blend of sodium chloride, potassium chloride and urea

Potassium chloride seems like it's ok but not sodium chloride, wonder what the blend actually is.
23 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15460 posts
12658 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Been discussed many times in this the HOME & GARDEN FORUM

search.php?keywords=Melter&fid%5B0%5D=53

NOTE : RFD Forums are all searchable
Just look for the SEARCH THIS FORUM Box at the top of any directory & put in your keyword(s)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4009 posts
1611 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Been discussed many times in this the HOME & GARDEN FORUM

search.php?keywords=Melter&fid%5B0%5D=53

NOTE : RFD Forums are all searchable
Just look for the SEARCH THIS FORUM Box at the top of any directory & put in your keyword(s)

Yea I should have searched first :p

Looks like I can use it on the asphalt driveway but I won't use it on the paver porch yet
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
805 upvotes
Waterloo
The gist of it is. NONE.

because of the way ICE melter damage is done. NO ICE Melter is safe.

ICE melters work by lowering the melting point. So when the water penetrates the concrete and then freezes and expands it breaks off the concrete. I imagine if you used a sealer then you can somewhat use it more. But then all melters are equal.

Or just use Sand. It wont melt the ice as much, but it provides grip.
----
Pay it forward.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4009 posts
1611 upvotes
Supahhh wrote: The gist of it is. NONE.

because of the way ICE melter damage is done. NO ICE Melter is safe.

ICE melters work by lowering the melting point. So when the water penetrates the concrete and then freezes and expands it breaks off the concrete. I imagine if you used a sealer then you can somewhat use it more. But then all melters are equal.

Or just use Sand. It wont melt the ice as much, but it provides grip.
How little does it take to cause damage or how quick can you see the damage start? My pathway rarely ices so I've only applied ice melter once this season. I guess I'll try to get some sand or screening soon.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
805 upvotes
Waterloo
Squirrel99 wrote: How little does it take to cause damage or how quick can you see the damage start? My pathway rarely ices so I've only applied ice melter once this season. I guess I'll try to get some sand or screening soon.
Depends on how good your concrete is and how little water penetration it allows.

And how tolerant you yourself are of a outside surface which is designed to wear down over years.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6076 posts
3151 upvotes
Mississauga
I use magnesium chloride pellets on my patterned concrete driveway.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4009 posts
1611 upvotes
mrweather wrote: I use magnesium chloride pellets on my patterned concrete driveway.
Where can I buy that? I don't see it in stock at the big box stores
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5006 posts
2421 upvotes
Ottawa
No ice melters are safe on stone or concrete. Sand and/or grit FTW. We use volcanic stuff - works but doesn't melt ice.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4572 posts
1584 upvotes
For the concrete steps and the porch ... Alaskan.

For the asphalt driveway ... mixture of Alaskan and the regular road salt.

For the sidewalk ... regular road salt.

For the asphalt driveway between the sidewalk and the road ... NOTHING!
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6076 posts
3151 upvotes
Mississauga
Squirrel99 wrote: Where can I buy that? I don't see it in stock at the big box stores
Home Hardware in Streetsville carries (carried?) it. Bought a couple of bags in the fall.
Oct 24, 2016
966 posts
818 upvotes
ON
The thing is whichever product you research on, there is always something written somewhere which scares you off. Ultimately I’ve restricted my use to a shovel and sand...have spent too much $$$ on the concrete driveway, walkway, steps and porch to risk it. Better safe than sorry.

From somewhere on the world wide web:
....”a study of concrete deterioration by deicing salts, including MgCl2 and CaCl2, at Iowa State University found that magnesium chloride was the most destructive salt with severe deterioration produced under almost all of the experimental conditions.”
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6076 posts
3151 upvotes
Mississauga
I only use it if there’s been ice build up, i.e. after a freezing rain event. Otherwise it’s strictly shoveling for me.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5006 posts
2421 upvotes
Ottawa
I have a hot water hose bibb in the garage. Works wonders on the walkway after a freezing rain storm. I hate using it though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4009 posts
1611 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: I have a hot water hose bibb in the garage. Works wonders on the walkway after a freezing rain storm. I hate using it though.
Heh, if I did that right now the remaining ice on the walkway and driveway might melt at first, but then become a skating rink in 5 minutes, it's too damn cold!

I put kitty litter on the walkway, seems to provide some good grip! I guess I can use my pressure washer to get rid of whatever litter is left after the ice and snow melt or are washed away by rain.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5006 posts
2421 upvotes
Ottawa
Squirrel99 wrote: Heh, if I did that right now the remaining ice on the walkway and driveway might melt at first, but then become a skating rink in 5 minutes, it's too damn cold!

I put kitty litter on the walkway, seems to provide some good grip! I guess I can use my pressure washer to get rid of whatever litter is left after the ice and snow melt or are washed away by rain.
Yup. I have the slope so it's not an issue.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4009 posts
1611 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: Yup. I have the slope so it's not an issue.
I have a good slope too but its still too damn cold today haha
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5006 posts
2421 upvotes
Ottawa
If it was sunny out, today's -5 would be fine. Cloudy day? A big nope.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
What are concrete pavers? how does someone "Pave" concrete? I thought only ashfault can be "Paved"
Hi
Oct 24, 2016
966 posts
818 upvotes
ON
GoodFellaz wrote: What are concrete pavers? how does someone "Pave" concrete? I thought only ashfault can be "Paved"

These are concrete pavers:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Ga ... 5yc1vZcic1

BTW, what is ‘ashfault’? Yeah I know old habits die hard Face With Tears Of Joy

any-tips-how-replace-single-paver-patio ... #p32420460
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.