Automotive

What is the ideal brake lube?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2019 6:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3504 posts
2172 upvotes

What is the ideal brake lube?

Having done my brake service on my car this fall. Would using a top end brake line prevent the need to service the brakes yearly to once every 2 or 3 years?
Reason brake jam up at the slider pins is from lubes disappearing or losing its greasiness, then water and rust forms. I have seen some brake lubes costs as much as 25 a jar. What is rfds take on this?
7 replies
Member
Nov 10, 2015
313 posts
262 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
cristianosham wrote: Having done my brake service on my car this fall. Would using a top end brake line prevent the need to service the brakes yearly to once every 2 or 3 years?
Reason brake jam up at the slider pins is from lubes disappearing or losing its greasiness, then water and rust forms. I have seen some brake lubes costs as much as 25 a jar. What is rfds take on this?
You can change the a stainlessteel/braided brake line but you still need to service annually. For slider pins use brake silicone lube only. Can find at CT or similar. One small jar will last you a lifetime.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
11136 posts
2899 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Brakes lines wont effect the slider pins if thats what you mean. What lube are you using now for the sliders? I use this one which has been great and does not dry up after a year - https://www.amazon.ca/AGS-BK4-Brake-Lub ... 622&sr=8-9

If your rubber boots on the sliders are damaged then water/salt/dirt is getting in which would be why your having issues.
cristianosham wrote: Having done my brake service on my car this fall. Would using a top end brake line prevent the need to service the brakes yearly to once every 2 or 3 years?
Reason brake jam up at the slider pins is from lubes disappearing or losing its greasiness, then water and rust forms. I have seen some brake lubes costs as much as 25 a jar. What is rfds take on this?
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15639 posts
16790 upvotes
Oakville
cristianosham wrote: Having done my brake service on my car this fall. Would using a top end brake line prevent the need to service the brakes yearly to once every 2 or 3 years?
Reason brake jam up at the slider pins is from lubes disappearing or losing its greasiness, then water and rust forms. I have seen some brake lubes costs as much as 25 a jar. What is rfds take on this?
If you want to avoid brake problems you need to service your brakes 2x a year when you change your summer/winter tires. A quick cleaning and lube and you'll be good to go.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3504 posts
2172 upvotes
engineered wrote: If you want to avoid brake problems you need to service your brakes 2x a year when you change your summer/winter tires. A quick cleaning and lube and you'll be good to go.
I wanted to avoid taking the brakes apart and wondered if there was a top tier brake lube that will not dry, can withstand washing off, -40 to +400 degrees temps. But if the consensus is to disassemble then I have no choice but to do so.
I bought the permatex silicone ceramic brake lube for spring.
Last edited by cristianosham on Dec 2nd, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15639 posts
16790 upvotes
Oakville
cristianosham wrote: I wanted to avoid taking the brakes apart and wondered if there was a top tier brake line that will not dry, can withstand washing off, -40 to +400 degrees temps. But if the consensus is to disassemble then I have no choice but to do so.
I bought the permatex silicone ceramic brake lube for spring.
What makes you think your brake line or brake fluid has anything to do with the slider pins or pads sticking?
You should make sure the slider pins are clean, lubed with petroleum free silicone, and to make sure the caps are on to protect it.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4020 posts
4152 upvotes
GTA
Two lube approach: Sil-Glyde for slider pins and rubber, and Permatex Ceramic for everything else.
Last edited by derass on Dec 2nd, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3504 posts
2172 upvotes
engineered wrote: What makes you think your brake line or brake fluid has anything to do with the slider pins or pads sticking?
You should make sure the slider pins are clean, lubed with petroleum free silicone, and to make sure the caps are on to protect it.
It is a typo, lube not line.

Top