Automotive

What is an ideal sweetspot to purchase used in terms of years, kms and what else?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2015 8:59 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1730 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto

What is an ideal sweetspot to purchase used in terms of years, kms and what else?

Hello guys, so I am in the market for a sedan; and want avoid spending $30k for new sonata; I have various option such as optima,fusion, sonata and more in the used market.

Now, I expect heavy use for this purchase around 100 km daily commute; now what kms and years used should I be looking at for car when buying used to not fall into category of instant maintenance required.

What else should be important when making a purchase? Private vs dealer? Rental vs lease? In warranty vs out of warranty?

At what point buying used is better deal then buying new?
30 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21198 posts
10674 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
thanks for asking this question

to answer it, 3-4 years old with 50-60k km or less. Basically just off lease cars. That's the best bang for your buck. Private will be cheaper but with the dealer you'll most likely get a CPO warranty. If you were buying luxury I'd suggest that the warranty is a must but in your case you could probably get away without it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9866 posts
1812 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Check the maintenance schedule for the cars you're looking at and compare that to the km/age of the used cars you're looking at. If the first major service for car A is 100k for example, avoid cars of model A just under that km. Usually people want to get rid of their vehicles around a major service interval so they don't have to pay for it. More expensive cars tend to have longer intervals.
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
246 upvotes
nasa25 wrote: thanks for asking this question

to answer it, 3-4 years old with 50-60k km or less. Basically just off lease cars. That's the best bang for your buck. Private will be cheaper but with the dealer you'll most likely get a CPO warranty. If you were buying luxury I'd suggest that the warranty is a must but in your case you could probably get away without it.
i would avoid 'off lease' cars as they are generally abused and returned.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1973 posts
825 upvotes
Elgin, ON
Ideally, I like to see cars with under 10,000km per year.

Both age and km devalue a car, but I think that km are more of a penalty when asking "how much longer will the car last."

IMO, older cars, with lower km are the best deals.
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
246 upvotes
rkjredflag wrote: Ideally, I like to see cars with under 10,000km per year.

Both age and km devalue a car, but I think that km are more of a penalty when asking "how much longer will the car last."

IMO, older cars, with lower km are the best deals.
but OP wants a car that is 'devalued' to get the most bang for their buck. older cars with lower km will cost more and are rarely the 'best deals'
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31261 posts
17826 upvotes
Toronto
2 yrs old. 30,000km or less.

-the worse of the depreciation hit has been done
-still have a bit of warranty left
-still relatively new but paying as used car price level
-no significant major parts replacement are foreseen any time in the near future, just have to check the brake and tire wears to see how they had been driven by previous owner
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3237 posts
1129 upvotes
Toronto
nineiron wrote: i would avoid 'off lease' cars as they are generally abused and returned.
Not sure if it's really that much different from someone who finances or pays cash for a car with a view to trade it in 2 or 3 years. Wouldn't they abuse it just as much considering they're not in it for the long haul?

Now, to find that 2-3 year old car that someone bought to keep for 10 years, but suddenly changed their mind or hit financial difficulties and need to trade it in - that's the holy grail...
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3325 posts
1880 upvotes
I bought my Pontiac Grand Prix for about $7000 and it had 114,000km on it. Has about 177 now and still going strong.
Apr 21, 2004
891 posts
95 upvotes
Pickering
booblehead wrote: 2 yrs old. 30,000km or less.

-no significant major parts replacement are foreseen any time in the near future, just have to check the brake and tire wears to see how they had been driven by previous owner
2nd this.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
10598 posts
4561 upvotes
Mississauga
nasa25 wrote: ...3-4 years old with 50-60k km or less. Basically just off lease cars. That's the best bang for your buck. Private will be cheaper but with the dealer you'll most likely get a CPO warranty. If you were buying luxury I'd suggest that the warranty is a must but in your case you could probably get away without it.
I was literally thinking this myself, when I saw the title before clicking into the thread.

But then I saw this, and like it better over my own thoughts, so +1 on this one. Haha. :D
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
246 upvotes

most depreciation happens at around 4 years. you're still paying a lot for a 2 year old car (might as well buy a slightly cheaper new car)
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31261 posts
17826 upvotes
Toronto
there will always be a trade off between the two parameters (age of vehicle vs depreciation $ hit), that's why everyone will have their own point of view for their own preference and budget $. As already said thousands of times in this forum, an aged euro cars will most likely have a higher maintenance costs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1730 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
Guys what about buying loaded used vs buying base is it better value to get loaded trim level?

Things like upgraded engine, leather seats, fog light, premium dashboard...
How much extra would make it a worthwhile deal...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9866 posts
1812 upvotes
Montreal, QC
indca wrote: Guys what about buying loaded used vs buying base is it better value to get loaded trim level?
Value yes because you'll likely find them for similar price as a base new model (depending how old it is), but keep in mind that some options add mechanical complexity to the car which may affect reliability down the road.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1730 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
What is a good website to check car depreciation and resale value over the years to get best idea on what's a good deal out there...
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19145 posts
3366 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
I go for them as the warranty comes up. Lots to chose from because a lot of people dont like to be without a warranty. About 4 years old with about 100k. Keep till about 200k. At this point you'll buy for about half the new price and sell for about 1/4. So you'll spend about 25% of the value of the car with minimal repairs. They're still new enough to have good reliability.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9866 posts
1812 upvotes
Montreal, QC
indca wrote: What is a good website to check car depreciation and resale value over the years to get best idea on what's a good deal out there...
http://www.canadianblackbook.com/
http://www.vmrcanada.com/canada_makes.htm

Those are estimates though, so I'll usually supplement those estimates by browsing kijiji or autotrader in my area for similar cars.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19145 posts
3366 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
indca wrote: What is a good website to check car depreciation and resale value over the years to get best idea on what's a good deal out there...
Kbb and canadian black book.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1730 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
Is buying in January means a whole year of depreciation has occurred? What is the timeline and at what time is it considered a time has come for cars depreciation?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)