• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2020 8:25 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Member
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes

What is IPS on a TV?

Went to look at TV's today and saw some nice 4K UHD, but one really stood out. It was from LG, and the guy told me it was because of the IPS.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lg ... a/13808495

The picture looked crisp and clean, not as grainy as the others. He also recommended TCL as being a better TV than the Sharp.

Just curious if IPS is an LG thing, if it's something new and if it's worth the money. I liked the picture, but would like opinions from others.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24005 posts
30559 upvotes
IPS is not new, it's excellent cost-effective panel technology for PC monitor use. As a TV, it has it's positive and negatives, but in the right settings and for the right media, it can be a very good value.

The LG line of IPS TVs are the only TVs I really trust as PC Monitor at this point, for what it's worth.

If you're looking purely for a TV though, the HiSense Q7G/Q8G and TCL 6-Series should be in and around this price range.
.
[OP]
Member
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: IPS is not new, it's excellent cost-effective panel technology for PC monitor use. As a TV, it has it's positive and negatives, but in the right settings and for the right media, it can be a very good value.

The LG line of IPS TVs are the only TVs I really trust as PC Monitor at this point, for what it's worth.

If you're looking purely for a TV though, the HiSense Q7G/Q8G and TCL 6-Series should be in and around this price range.
Thanks for the reply. This is the one he recommended to us. With Roku. He mentioned something about limitations with Crave and other stuff, but he did say this was the best bang for our buck.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24005 posts
30559 upvotes
sportznutt wrote: Thanks for the reply. This is the one he recommended to us. With Roku. He mentioned something about limitations with Crave and other stuff, but he did say this was the best bang for our buck.
Not terrible advice.
.
[OP]
Member
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: The 4-Series is respectable, certainly good value for money. I wouldn't consider it a high performance experience though, not necessarily a bad thing.
My last question for you....I'll do some research myself....but is the difference between 4-Series and 6-Series significant and worth the upgrade?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24005 posts
30559 upvotes
sportznutt wrote: My last question for you....I'll do some research myself....but is the difference between 4-Series and 6-Series significant and worth the upgrade?
Depending on price, yes. I would say it's worth a $200 premium.

I would also recommend shopping for TVs from Costco, with their stellar inexpensive warranty options. If you aren't already a member, then I understand.

Hope that helps.
.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7175 posts
7665 upvotes
Vancouver
Biggest pro of IPS is wide viewing angle. Good for TVs because people can be viewing from different angles.

Biggest con of IPS is poor black level, so if you looked at a black picture in a dark room it would be more dark grey than perfectly black. But adaptive backlighting and a dark filter built into the screen can mitigate this for TVs.
[OP]
Member
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Depending on price, yes. I would say it's worth a $200 premium.

I would also recommend shopping for TVs from Costco, with their stellar inexpensive warranty options. If you aren't already a member, then I understand.

Hope that helps.
At BestBuy, the TCL 6 is $210 more.

We have access to Costco (family member). Looking online, everything is at least $900. Not sure if they have many in store specials though....haven't been in a long time.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24005 posts
30559 upvotes
sportznutt wrote: At BestBuy, the TCL 6 is $210 more.

We have access to Costco (family member). Looking online, everything is at least $900. Not sure if they have many in store specials though....haven't been in a long time.
Given the amount of money being spent, you may want to see both big boxes and go with what you like.

I leave it in your capable hands.
.
[OP]
Member
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Given the amount of money being spent, you may want to see both big boxes and go with what you like.

I leave it in your capable hands.
Thanks for all the help:)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20998 posts
7331 upvotes
Toronto
As suggested, the black levels of IPS TVs really do suck. For daytime watching with significant ambient lighting, it's not that noticeable, but if you like to watch at night with the room lights off, then it will look bad. In that environment, there is no such thing as black. The darkest it gets on screen is dark grey.

VA TVs have significantly better blacks, but generally have poorer viewing angles, although that isn't an issue if your seating is straight on.

I bought OLED for perfect blacks and wide viewing angles, but they are considerably more expensive and have a risk of burn-in with specific types of usage (like leaving a non-changing video game head-up display active for 12 hours a day).

Top