Careers

What is the job outlook like for electrical engineers?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2016 2:03 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 25, 2015
12 posts
Markham, ON

What is the job outlook like for electrical engineers?

Which sub discipline is most in demand for EE. I have to pick a specialization as I am entering third year, and want to make an educated decision. I am interested in them all, with the exception of pure software.
28 replies
Sr. Member
Oct 27, 2014
557 posts
1071 upvotes
Toronto, ON
you can get about 120k starting salary in Mountain View, California, if you are a good software engineer
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Google ... 147431.htm

or get about 60k starting salary in Toronto, Ontario, if you are a 2nd tier electrical engineer

or get about 1 million Rupees starting salary in Bangalore, India, if you barely passed.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1721 posts
1748 upvotes
Electrical engineering is a very tough field. A lot of people fail, lots barely pass. Then you graduate and it is even tougher to land a decent job. My friend graduated top of his class and got a 60k starting salary but it wasn't exactly easy to find for him. And he did 1 year coop at Shell before that.
Member
May 9, 2012
494 posts
134 upvotes
SF Bay Area
What are you interested in?
Power, circuit, or embedded system?
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1897 posts
931 upvotes
Moon
Embedded systems (Computer engineering) is strong. Most of EE has no market.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1434 posts
73 upvotes
not good, most engineers in EE don't even work in EE after graduations. You should be able to find some statistics on this. i thought it was 10-20%
ellipse96 wrote: Which sub discipline is most in demand for EE. I have to pick a specialization as I am entering third year, and want to make an educated decision. I am interested in them all, with the exception of pure software.
[removed]
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 25, 2015
12 posts
Markham, ON
EchoAngel911 wrote: not good, most engineers in EE don't even work in EE after graduations. You should be able to find some statistics on this. i thought it was 10-20%
Then it's clearly not 'most' graduates that don't work as EEs.
Banned
Feb 25, 2016
307 posts
85 upvotes
ellipse96 wrote: Then it's clearly not 'most' graduates that don't work as EEs.
I think what he means is that only 10-20% of EE graduates find jobs as engineers. That would be even more pessimistic than this report from the Ontario Society of Professional Engineers which puts the fraction of engineering grads working as engineers, around 30%.

https://www.ospe.on.ca/public/documents ... market.pdf

For sure a lot of EEs never find engineering jobs and become computer programmers. Maybe even most of them.

Kathleen Wynne announced a few weeks ago that she is expanding engineering enrolments province-wide. Because she doesn't work for you; she works for the people who pay $1000 a plate for private access to the Minister of Colleges and Universities.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1521 posts
717 upvotes
Toronto, ON, CA
I'm counting down till the day you need a MA/MSc to work and "entry-level" job.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4153 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
Get a job as electrician. Maybe they will make you a second year apprentice to start. Make 3g a week up here
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
899 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
Why do electrical engineers have difficulty finding jobs? Is there any demand for those jobs?
Member
Dec 5, 2011
496 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto
tmkf_patryk wrote: Get a job as electrician. Maybe they will make you a second year apprentice to start. Make 3g a week up here
Up where?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
528 upvotes
picard12 wrote: Why do electrical engineers have difficulty finding jobs? Is there any demand for those jobs?
Same reason as for all other kinds of engineers. Far too many people with engineering degree compared to number of jobs requiring it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2003
1618 posts
170 upvotes
C-53
ellipse96 wrote: Which sub discipline is most in demand for EE. I have to pick a specialization as I am entering third year, and want to make an educated decision. I am interested in them all, with the exception of pure software.
Wireless is always in demand - there are cycles but its always there.

Actually in this day, you need a mix of skills to be considered. Consider taking networking classes, wireless comm and some software design and coding. And having some coop experience will hopefully at least get you an interview. Any of that mix will help you a lot.

Also realistically speaking you should be aware of salaries in the GTA for entry level is around 47k-55k at most companies unless you get into Google or something. But be positive. All you need is experience and a positive can-do attitude. You'll hit 6 figures in a few short years.

Inbox me for details.
*speak from exp*
:)
Please thank me if you find this helpful
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2003
1618 posts
170 upvotes
C-53
muppetslayer wrote: you can get about 120k starting salary in Mountain View, California, if you are a good software engineer
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Google ... 147431.htm

or get about 60k starting salary in Toronto, Ontario, if you are a 2nd tier electrical engineer

or get about 1 million Rupees starting salary in Bangalore, India, if you barely passed.
Heheh.. 120k in Silicon Valley sounds nice till you hear that rent is $3,000 per month. In that part of the world $120k is like $60k in GTA. Just saying.............

As for anyone from here going to India for work - rarely 1-2% maybe. Ignoring that the salary is less than $20k CAD after the conversion (lol), the culture shock alone would do it for the new grad ;) .
Please thank me if you find this helpful
Member
Jun 26, 2010
475 posts
55 upvotes
doomhammer wrote: Heheh.. 120k in Silicon Valley sounds nice till you hear that rent is $3,000 per month. In that part of the world $120k is like $60k in GTA. Just saying.............

As for anyone from here going to India for work - rarely 1-2% maybe. Ignoring that the salary is less than $20k CAD after the conversion (lol), the culture shock alone would do it for the new grad ;) .
It's closer to 4K there these days I hear. & nobody's saying that you should work at SV forever, but having just one top tier SV company on your resume would give you enormous leverage in the job market. you could "downgrade" to a place where you have more purchasing power. Austin is a good place to be for tech these days although i hear it's turning to Frisco too (bad real estate and all).
Member
Jun 26, 2010
475 posts
55 upvotes
muppetslayer wrote: you can get about 120k starting salary in Mountain View, California, if you are a good software engineer
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Google ... 147431.htm

or get about 60k starting salary in Toronto, Ontario, if you are a 2nd tier electrical engineer

or get about 1 million Rupees starting salary in Bangalore, India, if you barely passed.
Most of the devs Google hires from UofT did electrical engineering, so it's not a bad degree .... as long as you are good ....
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 25, 2015
12 posts
Markham, ON
To go into wireless, won't I need a masters? Isn't that the case for most communications and RF jobs?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2003
1618 posts
170 upvotes
C-53
Blanket_Man wrote: It's closer to 4K there these days I hear. & nobody's saying that you should work at SV forever, but having just one top tier SV company on your resume would give you enormous leverage in the job market. you could "downgrade" to a place where you have more purchasing power. Austin is a good place to be for tech these days although i hear it's turning to Frisco too (bad real estate and all).
Agreed.
Please thank me if you find this helpful
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2003
1618 posts
170 upvotes
C-53
ellipse96 wrote: To go into wireless, won't I need a masters? Isn't that the case for most communications and RF jobs?
No. Having a MS would help but not a requirement.

For someone fresh out of college (or university) you're expected to do grunt work in the labs hehe. So as long as you know how to work lab equipment and take measurements you are ok hahaha.

I'm just saying there's lots of opps out there and quite possibly areas and industries you've not even considered. Having a mixed skill set will definitely help you. Hence the req with general networking knowledge, some software dev and programming and (these days wireless). Nobody is expecting an expert from a 4 or 5 year degree Bachelor's graduate. But you are expected to do the assigned lab work on time.

Basically they look for a positive can-do attitude and how hungry you are to learn the job and grow.
Please thank me if you find this helpful

Top