Home & Garden

What kind of bug did I just find in my condo?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2021 6:11 pm
[OP]
Dec 29, 2019
265 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

What kind of bug did I just find in my condo?

20210814_143144.jpg
20210814_143157.jpg
20210814_143759.jpg

Just found this thing hanging around my phone charger in middle of my livingroom. Very chill bug that I had to tip into the parfait container because it didn't want to move.

I was merciful and made a hole punch airhole for it, but depending on what it is, maybe it should expect its execution and death lol.

So RFD entomologists, what kind of guest dropped by my abode? It's larger than a quarter all the way across. Maybe the size of a toonie.
15 replies
May 31, 2008
459 posts
801 upvotes
GTA area
Looks like a cockroach. Is it an older building? If you have them that size your building should seriously consider bringing in professionals to deal with them.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4135 posts
2914 upvotes
Montreal
Assassin bug? Definitely not a roach, just throw it outside.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4937 posts
1829 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
jzmtl wrote: Assassin bug? Definitely not a roach, just throw it outside.
Can't remember the name of them but the infrequent time I find them inside I scoop them up and toss them outside. Pretty sure they don't bite.
Mar 10, 2012
313 posts
287 upvotes
THORNHILL
Masked hunter. They eat other less desirable bugs...
May 28, 2012
11925 posts
4527 upvotes
Saskatoon
jzmtl wrote: Assassin bug? Definitely not a roach, just throw it outside.
I agree.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9148 upvotes
The NORTH
Did you know that Assassin Bugs kill about 10,000 people per year?
[OP]
Dec 29, 2019
265 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Palidino wrote: why not just kill it?
I am pretty squeamish about killing bugs, and I first thought maybe this could be a friendly one.

I will try to kill it later in the morning if it's not dead or forgotten again.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1921 posts
650 upvotes
ORLEANS
Meibatsu wrote: I am pretty squeamish about killing bugs, and I first thought maybe this could be a friendly one.

I will try to kill it later in the morning if it's not dead or forgotten again.
just whack it with a shoe or fly swatter
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2074 posts
2276 upvotes
Toronto
I was leaning on just letting it go outside however after reading the article posted I would regrettable have to assassinate the bug.

Biting human lips and eye lids, nasty little critter. They carry a parasite that can cause damage to human organs, so not just gross but not something to let go and potentially cause an issue for others.

The jury has spoken, the sentence to be carried out.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9148 upvotes
The NORTH
Its either you or him Op. OP? Oh God, did the assassin bug get the OP???
Oct 14, 2012
819 posts
552 upvotes
Woodstock
I think that is a "leaf footed bug" not an assassin bug. The hind most legs have the flattened leaf like sections common in this group of insects. Masked hunters don't have that, plus they have much thinner antenna.
compare
https://extension.umn.edu/nuisance-inse ... ed-hunters
with
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/61257-Leptoglossus
Common leptoglossus include Western Conifer Seed Bugs which often try to get inside homes in the fall, following the warmth.
[OP]
Dec 29, 2019
265 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
BetCrooks wrote: I think that is a "leaf footed bug" not an assassin bug. The hind most legs have the flattened leaf like sections common in this group of insects. Masked hunters don't have that, plus they have much thinner antenna.
compare
https://extension.umn.edu/nuisance-inse ... ed-hunters
with
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/61257-Leptoglossus
Common leptoglossus include Western Conifer Seed Bugs which often try to get inside homes in the fall, following the warmth.
For a second I thought maybe I left an innocent Leaf Footed Bug to die on my balcony because I forgot about it again (I have a baby so am busy lol). But then I read these could bite humans too?!

Why does nature hate us so...

"Although they can fly, they are slow-moving and are most often found crawling or standing still. You can catch them by hand or trap them in plastic containers. Once caught, you can kill them by squashing or drowning them. I suggest wearing gloves and a mask because they will emit a foul odor (think burning rubber) when squashed—similar to stink bugs. Many people also liken the smell to coriander and cilantro."

Execution by drowning it is. After indefinite solotary confinement becausr I run a very poor prison system.
Oct 14, 2012
819 posts
552 upvotes
Woodstock
I've carried them outside on a piece of paper many times without injury. I think most living creatures will try to defend themselves if you pick them up by hand as they think you are going to eat them.

Once outside, a leaf-footed insect will fly away.