• Jan 10th, 2018 12:17 pm
Tags:
Banned
Oct 10, 2016
758 posts
332 upvotes
DecayHeat wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 8:41 am
Currently drive a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. I've had it since I was 16 and recently the transmission is about to go.

I have about 6 months left in my internship and I return to school in September 2018. I plan to commute to school.
Take home about $3000 a month and pay $200 for insurance and $300 a month for gas. I have about $10000 saved up.

Ideally I'd like a sporty manual coupe that's fun to drive but my commute is long (40km one way) and will not have any income during my final year of university.
What Car can I afford? What would you recommend?

Been looking at the following:
-2012 Audi a5
-2008 BMW 335i
-2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Not to be an A***** but I'm amazed that students are thinking about buying Bmw Audi.....Those cars are so easy to get nowadays I remember when those cars were niche cars now everyone has one. If I was in school I'd look for something cheap reliable. If you want something fun worst comes to worst get an MK5/MK6 GTI/GLI or 2010 genesis(same model same shape throw in a tune to that 2.0T big gains there).

I blame rap videos and instagram everybody wants to be a budget baller. You seem like a good guy don't fall for that do things the smart way and in a few years you'll be in a position to buy a car that you've never dreamed of. Don't worry you'll get the babes in your late 20s 30s.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3972 posts
1621 upvotes
Toronto
Micra $9995. Only thing it has on your list is manual, minus fun or sporty. However it cheap and new!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8071 posts
1193 upvotes
Toronto
Aren't coupes more costly when it comes to insurance?
Also know a guy that has a '10 BMW 335i and nothing but trouble.
Spent thousands on it already and owned for less than a year.
He's looking to get rid of it and I'm sure some unsuspecting customer may buy it.
Good is he already repaired most that could go bad.
Bad is how soon will more things pop up with this head turner.
Are you going back to school to study or to show off and pick up chicks BTW?lol
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5847 posts
3823 upvotes
Richmond Hill
estevens wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 11:00 am
in a few years you'll be in a position to buy a car that you've never dreamed of.
Agreed! It's tempting to get an sporty coupe. Every student with a driver's license has had the same thought cross their mind; but history has shown us that budget balling as a student is generally a bad idea. Grab the econobox for school; ditch it for something fun when you land a job with decent income after.

If you want something cheap, fun, reliable and practical - I'd recommend a current gen mazda 3. Also available in manual.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Jun 10, 2017
36 posts
21 upvotes
To be honest you can't afford any of those cars you mentioned. Using the information you have provided us, you will not have any income during the school year. The money from your internship, is better saved towards expenses during the school year and a better car after school WHEN you have an income.

Get a cheap car now for around 6,000 and use it for the duration of the internship and school. Pay for it in cash and get a pretty purchase Inspection. Get a corolla as cliche as it sounds but it is reliable and so damn cheap to maintain.

If you have to get a nicer/sporty car now then get an FRS. Slightly cheaper than the BRZ used, because of badges and options.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10802 posts
5625 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
2012 Biege Corolla is your budget.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Apr 1, 2015
282 posts
83 upvotes
Oakville
a base model budget car makes a lot more sense than a used luxury 'status symbol' car you're basically rolling the dice on as far as your maintenance costs. unless you're very handy with car stuff, avoid cars like those.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7030 posts
1227 upvotes
DecayHeat wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 8:41 am
Currently drive a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. I've had it since I was 16 and recently the transmission is about to go.

I have about 6 months left in my internship and I return to school in September 2018. I plan to commute to school.
Take home about $3000 a month and pay $200 for insurance and $300 a month for gas. I have about $10000 saved up.

Ideally I'd like a sporty manual coupe that's fun to drive but my commute is long (40km one way) and will not have any income during my final year of university.
What Car can I afford? What would you recommend?

Been looking at the following:
-2012 Audi a5
-2008 BMW 335i
-2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Really ? ...your car shouldn't cost more than 3 months of your take home or else you will be stuck in the same category like 99% of the suckers these days financing and leasing their cars for the rest of their lives !
Your car should work for you and not the other way around !
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1051 posts
446 upvotes
Drive that car to the ground (maybe rebuild the transmission?) or buy something around 5k, invest the rest, focus and enjoy the last year of school. Revisit this topic in a year and see where you're at.
Jul 24, 2009
620 posts
426 upvotes
kitchener
Since you will be getting no income for a while, forget looking fancy sports cars such as Audi...etc.
You won't be able to afford them...especially if they break down.

Get a 95-99 Toyota Tercel.
There are still plenty of them to be found in good shape on Kijiji for very cheap.
If you look, you could probably get a nice one that's certified for under $2000...
They never break down...if they do, they are super cheap to fix, take next to nothing in gas and next to nothing to insure....especially one way, because lets face it...should your Tercel spontaniously combust, you can probably replace it that same day for next to nothing.
I sold mine when it had over 480 000 kilometers on it and only because I needed space in the driveway for my toys.
It still drove like a brand new car,...and yes, you can get it in the 2 door version and pretend it's a sports car.

If you get the manual transmission version, they are actually fun to drive and handle almost like sports car would, if you accept the fact that the engine is only 1.5 and obviously has it's limitations...for a little car it has balls for sure.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
11437 posts
7159 upvotes
Richmond Hill
EdT586 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 3:09 pm
Really ? ...your car shouldn't cost more than 3 months of your take home or else you will be stuck in the same category like 99% of the suckers these days financing and leasing their cars for the rest of their lives !
Your car should work for you and not the other way around !
Really 3 months salary? Lmfaoooo

Most couldn't even get a mirage for crying outloud.

What are you driving with 3 months salary?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20996 posts
10410 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I gots an '84 Reliant K in Plymouth Racing Maroon.

0.3 months take home salary (netting $19k per annum last calendar year)
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1482 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
Imo you can't afford anything but a 1500$ beater.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2445 posts
1718 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 7:43 pm
Really 3 months salary? Lmfaoooo

Most couldn't even get a mirage for crying outloud.

What are you driving with 3 months salary?
Jesus, I wouldnt spend 30k on a car
Smash that like button!
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
11437 posts
7159 upvotes
Richmond Hill
6mthatch wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 10:20 pm
Jesus, I wouldnt spend 30k on a car
I know right. I'm well into 6 figures with my cars and eat ramen everyday and make min. Payments on my credit cards.