Cell Phones

What kind of cellphone are coming this year?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2017 5:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17650 posts
679 upvotes

What kind of cellphone are coming this year?

My wife and I are due for new cellphones in October of this year and while I know that is a long time away I have decided to start my research now in the event that something really nice pops up. We are currently with Nexus 6P phones and they were decent phones. We would like to stay with android if possible as its what our family eco system revolves around.

Our desired specs are pretty simple (well, I think they are):

Screen same size as a 6P or larger
1080p or better
32 gigs or more, 64 or more would be better. Expanded is not necessary.
A good camera
A good battery (possibly the most important)! the 6P is ok at best.
Fingerprint scanner
We are currently with Telus and are happy there but are willing to change carriers although would perfer not to.
16 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
21384 posts
3354 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Mobile World Congress is on Feb 27th and most cell phone providers will have their latest and greatest there. There are lots of rumours out there for the Galaxy S8 already. I would imagine they have figured out the battery issue by the S8. I doubt they'll be making the phone thicker though to accommodate a larger battery.

LG G6 Rumours - Link
Galaxy S8 Rumours - Link
Nokia P1 Rumours - Link

i don't think there are any rumours for the Pixel 2 yet other than it will be IP57 certified
Jan 20, 2010
425 posts
140 upvotes
toronto
I think by the time you are eligible for upgrade, the Samsung Note 8 is there.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1133 posts
1128 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Since you are using Nexus 6P and will upgrade in October, I will not recommend any other phones than the next Pixel. Samsung phones have the worst imaginable support of all major manufacturers.
LG G6 - can't recommend because of old hardware and high price ( may decrease substantially around October)
Galaxy S8 - Again, no software update support (you are using Nexus 6P, so you will not feel at home with Samsung)
Nokia is dead
HTC 11 (or whatever) - No strong rumours, but will have Snapdragon 835 for sure
Sony - No rumours whatsoever - May be a good option seeing they have stereo speakers and water resistance (Good software update support too).

My advice is go for either Google, Sony or HTC.
Koodo $40 13GB!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18653 posts
2375 upvotes
Woodbridge
There's really only two if you're going with android both are Samsung. The S8 or Note 8.

Otherwise, there's the biggest most anticipated release of 2017... the 10th anniversary of the iPhone.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17650 posts
679 upvotes
SureshA720227 wrote: Since you are using Nexus 6P and will upgrade in October, I will not recommend any other phones than the next Pixel. Samsung phones have the worst imaginable support of all major manufacturers.
LG G6 - can't recommend because of old hardware and high price ( may decrease substantially around October)
Galaxy S8 - Again, no software update support (you are using Nexus 6P, so you will not feel at home with Samsung)
Nokia is dead
HTC 11 (or whatever) - No strong rumours, but will have Snapdragon 835 for sure
Sony - No rumours whatsoever - May be a good option seeing they have stereo speakers and water resistance (Good software update support too).

My advice is go for either Google, Sony or HTC.
I had a Xperia Z and it was the best phone I ever had, loved it. Would definately consider Sony again but I thought they were out of the market on phones? Id consider a Pixel 2 as well if they actually improve it this time around. The 6P and it really are not that different.
bembol wrote: There's really only two if you're going with android both are Samsung. The S8 or Note 8.

Otherwise, there's the biggest most anticipated release of 2017... the 10th anniversary of the iPhone.
I dont care for the samsung verision of android, its just so... full of crap.

I guess i would consider iPhone. but Android would be perferred.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19706 posts
9154 upvotes
Oakville
If you're on a Nexus 6p and like it right now, the current Pixel will be very cheap in October (and is very good). But there should also be a new Pixel by then as well, or near enough to then I think.
Oct 9, 2011
610 posts
312 upvotes
EAST YORK
I would wait and keep the 6P until they announce more stuff about the iPhone 8. It's supposed to be a complete redesign in honor of the iPhone's 10th anniversary. That is, if you don't mind switching to Apple. I recently went back to the iPhone after using high-end Android phones for a few years and I don't see myself switching back again, FWIW. If you need your customization, battery switching, etc. then you may just want to stick with Android.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19706 posts
9154 upvotes
Oakville
baddoctor wrote: I would wait and keep the 6P until they announce more stuff about the iPhone 8. It's supposed to be a complete redesign in honor of the iPhone's 10th anniversary. That is, if you don't mind switching to Apple. I recently went back to the iPhone after using high-end Android phones for a few years and I don't see myself switching back again, FWIW. If you need your customization, battery switching, etc. then you may just want to stick with Android.
Well, OP is on a Nexus 6P so battery switching and expandable memory are clearly not priorities. :)

That iPhone 8 (or possibly iPhone X) has some interesting rumours attached to it. OLED edge to edge display, complete removal of all physical buttons, $1000US+ price tag, some sort of 3D sensing technology integration...
Sep 12, 2006
928 posts
55 upvotes
wearysky wrote: If you're on a Nexus 6p and like it right now, the current Pixel will be very cheap in October (and is very good). But there should also be a new Pixel by then as well, or near enough to then I think.
whats very cheap ?
Are we talking sub $500 ???
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19706 posts
9154 upvotes
Oakville
deadprez wrote: whats very cheap ?
Are we talking sub $500 ???
I doubt it'll be going THAT cheap, but depending on stock levels around Black Friday there could indeed be some very good deals to be had (presuming a new pixel comes out before then).
Feb 16, 2014
733 posts
164 upvotes
London
@OP: Ask this:'What kind of firing battery do you expect to see in upcoming 2017 cellphones?'
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1287 posts
609 upvotes
GTA
Super strokey wrote:

I dont care for the samsung verision of android, its just so... full of crap.
Nexus fanboy here. Was upgrading my sis phone cause I owed her and we both got the S7. The 8 core cpu makes up for all the features they plug into this. Still don't like the Samsung Google clone apps, but still manageable if you download all apps Google. Hardware side it's super great, cool Harry Potter picture snapping, you get both the still and a 3 second loop.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1966 posts
836 upvotes
Antarctica
Nexus 6p is still very relevant. Smartphones are boring now.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4763 posts
3256 upvotes
If you are fine with mid range phone the zte blade v8 pro is a good buy.

5.5” 1080p
S625 3GB 32GB
13/13 MP dual lens camera which usually only found on high end phones
Fingerprint
Exceptional battery which beats many high end phones

Currently only selling in US for $220 USD and B&H is selling it with 3 freebies, JVC BT headphone, Asus power bank, and a chepo VR headset.

$310 CAD all in but have to pay tax if cross border shopping.
Aug 15, 2012
339 posts
81 upvotes
Mississauga
Why would you want to get a new phone when you have the Nexus 6P? Unless it's giving you issues, don't switch. You've got a Google phone that's going to get a lot more updates than the average Android phone.

I say wait it out another 1-2 years and wait for the Pixel series to really refine itself (provided you don't mind paying over $1000 for it). We're nearing the end of the spec wars because most mid- and high-range SoCs and GPUs are more than good enough. What's going to control the market is going to be software optimizations, battery life, cameras and charging speed (in my opinion). So wait for Google to come out with their own SoCs, because they might end up directly competing with Apple's excellent SoCs. Qualcomm's chipsets are lagging behind these days.