Home & Garden

What kind of exterior paint / stain should I use in this situation?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2021 7:28 pm
[OP]
Jan 21, 2012
153 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto

What kind of exterior paint / stain should I use in this situation?

The picture shows the white painted fence above my garage. As the pervious paint was peeling, I decided to re-paint it.

I have scraped the peeling flakes. Because of the height, it is not very convenient to peel all the paint. Now, I am thinkg of applying another coat of white paint on it.

Should I use an exterior paint or stain in this case? Also, could you recomment a few brands that offer good value for money?

Thanks
IMG_20210609_1207264.jpg
4 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3196 posts
1980 upvotes
Markham
If you want to stain, you have to completely remove the old paint.
If you want to paint, you still need to remove the loose old paint. But you will have to do this every 5 years or so....
Or just completely remove the fence above your garage.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2149 posts
2624 upvotes
West GTA
Remove the loose, peeling paint from the surface with a paint scraper. If you don't, the new paint will just stick to the flakes and then fall off as they fall off. Use the highest quality exterior paint you can find as it'll last longer - I recommend one option as Emerald Exterior from SW, buy it during a sale (which happens every month or so).
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2189 posts
2002 upvotes
Ottawa
If it's stain, stain it.
If it's paint, paint it.

If it's paint and you want to stain, you'll need to strip or sand it to bare wood. Likely not worth the effort.
If it's stain and you want to paint, that's not a problem, but it'll mean you'll have to paint every time going forward, which sucks because re-staining is easier than re-painting.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4739 posts
1644 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Two thin coats of paint are better than one heavy coat.