• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2021 7:47 am
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
804 posts
307 upvotes
toronto

what kind of paint for your icerink lines

decided to put lines in my backyard icerink,,had some automotive black spray paint kicking around..tried it...
for those that made lines on your icerink,,what paint did you use for the ice

thanks
8 replies
May 15, 2017
195 posts
169 upvotes
your best bet wrote: decided to put lines in my backyard icerink,,had some automotive black spray paint kicking around..tried it...
for those that made lines on your icerink,,what paint did you use for the ice

thanks
Avoid using black paint if your rink has sunshine hitting it.
Nov 27, 2020
64 posts
274 upvotes
No paint, just use paper party streamers. They come in all colours and every dollar store has them. Lay it down, spray with a spray bottle to hold in place, gently flood the first time. The previous poster is very correct, any sunlight hitting anything darker than white ice will burn right through. It looks great when done but will shorten the life of the rink is exposed to sunlight.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1030 posts
586 upvotes
London, On
Why won't the party streamers attract sunlight and hasten the melting of the ice?
Mar 13, 2006
83 posts
54 upvotes
+1 tissue streamers. Don't just paint.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15656 posts
16814 upvotes
Oakville
djeffery wrote: Why won't the party streamers attract sunlight and hasten the melting of the ice?
They will, they're the fastest, non-toxic way to create a clean line. The lighter in colour it is, the less it will heat up.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
804 posts
307 upvotes
toronto
with warmer weather here,,,are you doing anything to extend the season for your ice rink ...
myself i put a tarp on top of the ice, so sun does not beat down on it..
Nov 26, 2008
862 posts
509 upvotes
GTA
A few dads in my area have given up (Burlington, ON) and I’m holding out for one more use but alas the weather is almost all positive temps except one day.

I asked about reflective tarps but they said it should have been incorporated earlier when the first of our plus temps came.