What kind of pot for hot pot at home

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2021 3:54 pm
[OP]
Aug 19, 2019
40 posts
60 upvotes

What kind of pot for hot pot at home

Our household eats hot pot frequently at home, but over the years we have gone through issues with countless pots.

We always buy the divided hot pots that they sell at T&T or the other various asian grocers here in the GVR. However, the issue is that these pots just suck. I've had issues such as flaking "metal" (chinesium), oxidization, warped bottoms that no longer function properly on induction cooktops, leaking pots, you name it. I'm pretty sick and tired of replacing these things over the years, but they are the only one's I can find.

Now I know I can always just use an actual quality kitchen pot, but where's the fun in that? Is it so much to ask for a good quality pot?! I would much rather make a more expensive purchase that will last rather than buying 20-30$ pots and replacing them every year (if that long even).
11 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44602 posts
7686 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
I know!

I always wanted one of those fancy old school coal powered hot pots.

As long as your room is well ventilated and you practice diligent fire safety... a few lumps of coal Arent going to hurt.

Whenever i hot pot... i make sure the window is open an inch so extra fresh air can come into the room.

And of course... general safety like making sure your fire & co detectors are working with annual battery change/inspection.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12070 posts
6955 upvotes
Markham
Your problem in trying to replace this is the divider...you're not going to find a pot with a divider. You can do two burner, two pots. I like Induction for hot pot (tape the cord down with duct tape or something so there's no tripping hazard) because there's no heat coming off the side so those ladles can be left in the pot and you won't burn your hands when you touch it.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
May 7, 2008
702 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
I feel your pain - not a fan of those pots. I see them almost as disposable like non-stick pans.

I don't entertain as much - and generally most of my guests are good with the one flavor of soup - so I particularly don't like a divider, as it's super hard to clean those corners properly.

I use my Staub cast iron dutch oven on a portable induction burner. May not be a responsive as those aluminum pots but hot pot is all about going slow for me. And aluminum is actually not great for your health.

Sometimes I get fancy and use a Japanese donabe on a portable gas burner which a lot of Japanese families use to do shabu shabu.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16501 posts
3729 upvotes
Toronto
Cfup69 wrote: that looks good, but I'm curious what material that is made out of.
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. If the material is so great, you'd think they'd want to promote it...like the rock or something, lol
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Dec 11, 2012
254 posts
631 upvotes
Waterloo
Cfup69 wrote: Our household eats hot pot frequently at home, but over the years we have gone through issues with countless pots.

We always buy the divided hot pots that they sell at T&T or the other various asian grocers here in the GVR. However, the issue is that these pots just suck. I've had issues such as flaking "metal" (chinesium), oxidization, warped bottoms that no longer function properly on induction cooktops, leaking pots, you name it. I'm pretty sick and tired of replacing these things over the years, but they are the only one's I can find.

Now I know I can always just use an actual quality kitchen pot, but where's the fun in that? Is it so much to ask for a good quality pot?! I would much rather make a more expensive purchase that will last rather than buying 20-30$ pots and replacing them every year (if that long even).
I used to use my Instant Pot and it worked really well, just put it on saute and it will keep a boil. Only downside is you need another if you want 2 different broths at the same time.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12070 posts
6955 upvotes
Markham
Thecheapindian wrote: I used to use my Instant Pot and it worked really well, just put it on saute and it will keep a boil. Only downside is you need another if you want 2 different broths at the same time.
The problem with dutch ovens/Instant Pot is the height and or straight sides. It's harder to scoop/find stuff that are in the corners unless you stand up.

That Walmart posted "Intexca Multi-Function Electric Portable BBQ Grill Baking Pan Hot Pot with Divider" looks like the "granite/rock" stuff. It's two in one as the heating element can be used for Korean Style BBQ.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
1715 posts
230 upvotes
Toronto
I’ve also been looking for a decent hot pot pot. Low and wide is easy to find but It’s that bloody divider though. If you need it your kinda SOL, there ‘might’ be better quality ones @ standalone houseware stores.

Maybe if we get enough interest we can get Paderno to make a nice stainless one.. haha