• Apr 22nd, 2020 7:46 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5740 posts
3568 upvotes

What kind of winged insect is this??

Found a few of these inside my house. Usually along the same wall on the back of the house. Doesn’t move much when I get near them. kind of just sit there.

Flying ant ? Not sure how they are getting inside.

14 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14728 posts
10863 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
That looks like a bee.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11452 posts
6636 upvotes
Paris
Yellow jacket wasp. Territorial and bitey. He doesnt move much because its cold near your window. Wait till he warms up.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15087 posts
2678 upvotes
Yellow jacket wasp (also ground bees) . Check for a nest around your house.

If you do stumble on the nest>>>
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7872 posts
3717 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Definitely a wasp but not a yellow jacket nor a european paper wasp (wrong shape for both), or any species of bee.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5740 posts
3568 upvotes
It’s hard to tell from the photo but in person its not yellow at all. Looks more black and grey.

If it’s a wasp. I guess it’s coming from outside somehow. . Will look around for a nest.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7872 posts
3717 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
fdl wrote: It’s hard to tell from the photo but in person its not yellow at all. Looks more black and grey.

If it’s a wasp. I guess it’s coming from outside somehow. . Will look around for a nest.
It's the shape. Definitely a wasp. There are thousands of species (12-30-something thousand IIRC). It isn't one of the nasty ones FWIW. Yellow jackets are the worst commonly found in North America.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6558 posts
6855 upvotes
Vancouver
Definitely a wasp. Several species are common here in BC, including yellowjackets, but it doesn't look like one of those common ones.

The wasps have already started buzzing around the garden here in BC, sometimes getting into the house through open windows, and that will go on all summer. Some species build visible paper nests, others nest underground in cracks and holes. Fortunately our wasps here are not very aggressive, and will leave you alone if you leave them alone. I've been stung a few times when I accidentally hit a wasp, but on the other hand I've run over one of the underground nests with the lawnmower, and they don't do much except come out and buzz around a bit without attacking or anything. I've never felt the need to take extreme measures to remove a nest, considering they die out in the winter anyway.
Oct 14, 2012
789 posts
526 upvotes
Woodstock
We get a couple of wasps each spring/fall in our family room. They follow the warm air down through our chimney and climb out of the fireplace through small holes around the glass. (It's a wood fireplace, not a closed gas one.) I just swat them, or open the patio door and let them fly back out.
Jul 11, 2005
367 posts
40 upvotes
We noticed a few wasps similar to that one 2 years ago and couldn't figure out where they were coming from until I saw that the power conduit that brings the power line into the house had a gap in the brick and they made a nest in the cinder block foundation. They could have made a nest right by the electrical panel but luckily they didn't come all the way through. Check around your house and look for any entry points. I was able to put a shopvac at the entry point, spray the hole on the inside and suck up a bunch as they tried to exit.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1028 posts
261 upvotes
10 years ago before I renoed the house we would get about 5 inside per year. When we renoed and living room ceiling came down we discovered a hive in the attic. Check your attic!
Screenshot_20200417-073009_ES File Explorer Pro.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5925 posts
5099 upvotes
fdl wrote: Found a few of these inside my house. Usually along the same wall on the back of the house. Doesn’t move much when I get near them. kind of just sit there.

You likely have a wasp nest inside your wall.

I'm surprised they're out already though. I put up "fake" wasp nests last week to deter them building new ones this year (every year I find one in my backyard) but this makes me think I waited too long. Last year I got swarmed while mowing the lawn - it was in ground one that I've yet to find.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5740 posts
3568 upvotes
hierophant wrote: You likely have a wasp nest inside your wall.

I'm surprised they're out already though. I put up "fake" wasp nests last week to deter them building new ones this year (every year I find one in my backyard) but this makes me think I waited too long. Last year I got swarmed while mowing the lawn - it was in ground one that I've yet to find.
Thanks, I doubt it’s in my wall (I hope). I’ve seen a total of 3 of them over the course of a few weeks. My kids are constantly Going in and out of the house and they may have gotten in that way. Or through my fireplace.
Aug 29, 2019
955 posts
433 upvotes
fdl wrote: Found a few of these inside my house. Usually along the same wall on the back of the house. Doesn’t move much when I get near them. kind of just sit there.

When the weather is nice, observe the back wall from the outside for an hour or so to see if wasps are gathering any place along that wall and slipping into a crack or small gap.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)