Computers & Electronics

What laptop or other portable computer device do you recommend?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2020 2:26 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13744 posts
3718 upvotes
Montréal

What laptop or other portable computer device do you recommend?

Old laptop on Win7 is dying/shutdowning by itself, so guess it's time to retire it. What do you recommend for doing reg internet/bookkeeping stuff (no gaming at all)? Budget of $500 or less, new, Windows OS: initially considering another laptop but already have 1 so wondering if I can get by w an ipad or something similar? I'm not into desktops and my laptop has replaced its function being a stay-at-home computer but am considering something more portable that's more powerful than a smartphone, any suggestions? Tx.
Last edited by tranquility922 on Aug 14th, 2020 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
11 replies
Nov 6, 2014
661 posts
986 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Whatever you buy....get a Lenovo. :)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13744 posts
3718 upvotes
Montréal
maple1 wrote: Off lease a consideration? If so, take a look here: https://www.bauersystems.com/

Go for an upgraded screen if available.
Tx for your advice, just looking for new.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13744 posts
3718 upvotes
Montréal
smartie wrote: OP said new
Tx, but he's good, I changed my OP after his post.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1454 posts
1588 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote: Tx, but he's good, I changed my OP after his post.
Thanks. I just came back to say my bad if I missed it. The back to school sales are starting so you should be able to find something.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5443 posts
2646 upvotes
Global Village
I was in the same boat as you, my trusted 10 year old Win7 laptop died and I wanted 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD in my next 1, ended up going with a tiny desktop which is small enough to be portable (a little bigger than a paperback book), well built, fast, very quiet and the price allows for a 1080p portable monitor or you can use it with a TV.

https://www.amazon.ca/HP-EliteDesk-Busi ... 284&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-MB169B-15-6- ... ics&sr=1-4
All day I dream about sports
Aug 6, 2019
67 posts
28 upvotes
@tranquility922
you say you want a windows machine then ask if you could get by with an ipad. $500 wont buy you much of a new windows laptop. i wouldnt go less then a i3 or ryzen 3. consider a chromebook. it would be better than an ipad. i dont find old stock like a year or two old machines good deals anymore. keep an eye on the hot deals section. if you know computers, the best deals are on kijiji. sometimes a new computer will show up with warranty from a desperate seller.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32846 posts
6491 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
fordmaple wrote: Whatever you buy....get a Lenovo. :)
Tough to find a ThinkPad for 500$ or less

I replaced my notebook with an iPad, but I do most of my work on a desktop.
budmerman wrote: @tranquility922
you say you want a windows machine then ask if you could get by with an ipad. $500 wont buy you much of a new windows laptop. i wouldnt go less then a i3 or ryzen 3. consider a chromebook. it would be better than an ipad.
Can’t get a decent iPad for less than 500$ and I disagree, a ChromeBook is not better than an iPad. ChromeBooks are severely limited. Sure you can run 90% of the Android apps, but you won’t get the same app experience or stability that iOS offers.

Now that iPad OS supports a mouse, I can do 98% of everything I use to do on a notebook. The biggest thing for me was spreadsheets. Keep in mind, I don’t use the iPad for that. I run my spreadsheets on my home or work PC and I use the iPad to remote into the PC. I have a full Windows desktop with all the resources of that desktop
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11107 posts
6106 upvotes
Markham
Gee wrote: Tough to find a ThinkPad for 500$ or less

I replaced my notebook with an iPad, but I do most of my work on a desktop.

Can’t get a decent iPad for less than 500$ and I disagree, a ChromeBook is not better than an iPad. ChromeBooks are severely limited. Sure you can run 90% of the Android apps, but you won’t get the same app experience or stability that iOS offers.

Now that iPad OS supports a mouse, I can do 98% of everything I use to do on a notebook. The biggest thing for me was spreadsheets. Keep in mind, I don’t use the iPad for that. I run my spreadsheets on my home or work PC and I use the iPad to remote into the PC. I have a full Windows desktop with all the resources of that desktop
How are Chromebooks severely limited when you say it can run 90% of apps. Consider the Chromebook like a big screened phone with a keyboard. Not great for gamers is what I heard (I don't game).

I'm using a pretty much cheap ($200) as u can get Chromebook and have no issues/limitations and I have not cracked open my old laptop since. It's all about defining what you want to use it for...if you use straight browser stuff, YouTube Netflix, RFD, email Evernote instagram etc it works perfectly fine. As long as it's web based... because you can't load programs.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32846 posts
6491 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
gr8dlr wrote: How are Chromebooks severely limited when you say it can run 90% of apps. Consider the Chromebook like a big screened phone with a keyboard. Not great for gamers is what I heard (I don't game).

I'm using a pretty much cheap ($200) as u can get Chromebook and have no issues/limitations and I have not cracked open my old laptop since. It's all about defining what you want to use it for...if you use straight browser stuff, YouTube Netflix, RFD, email Evernote instagram etc it works perfectly fine. As long as it's web based... because you can't load programs.
That’s the point, as long as you can run everything you need in a Chrome browser, it is fine. But that’s not the case for most people.

I tried using an iPhone, can’t stand it. I like Android a lot more. I only use Android phones. But I use it as intended. I run few apps. For Apps, I have an iPad. If you ever tried running apps on both systems, you will realize that iOS is way better running apps. Everything else is too limiting because of the walled garden.

Yes, Chromebooks can run 90% of the Android apps, but the experience is nothing to write home about.