Computers & Electronics

What Laptop should I get? =[

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2009 1:17 pm
[OP]
Jul 23, 2009
4 posts

What Laptop should I get? =[

Hey guys I suck at picking stuff especially laptops and stuff so I need some of your assistance! =]

The price range:800-1000$(a little more if needed[1200$ Max after tax])

What is it used:
Little gaming like Left 4 Dead
Photo editing
Video editing
Music editing
School Work

I'll most likely carry it around with me everywhere so a medium sized laptop is good! =]

So please and thank you!!
15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
1339 posts
29 upvotes
With your budget, you could get the white 13" Macbook with the free printer and free iPod Touch :D

One of the things I love about Macbooks are how portable they are!

They are more than capable for all your tasks, including light gaming :D

I play Team Fortress 2 (1280x800 on high settings), Call Of Duty 4, Battlefield 2, and Age of Empires 3 on my 13" Macbook Pro (similar specs to the white Macbook).

All of the games I mentioned above run silky smooth!

Note: My Macbook is overclocked and is running modifed NVIDA Forceware drivers.

Macs are also a great choice because they already come with music editing (Garageband) and video editing (iMovie & iDVD) software, for free! Plus, you can buy iLife for schoolwork, Keynote presentations blow all Powerpoint-made presentations out of the water with the incredible visuals and animations.

If you don't want a Mac, I would recommend a Dell Studio or XPS laptop, since most of them come equipped with decent graphics cards for light gaming and are ready to handle all the tasks you listed.

Hope my lengthy post helps :D
[OP]
Jul 23, 2009
4 posts
If i get a macbook with
Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB Memory chaning it to 4 gb
160GB hard drive1 chainging it to 500 gb
SD card slo
Built-in 7-hour battery2
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

is it better than
http://www1.ca.dell.com/ca/en/home/Lapt ... &cs=cadhs1
$1379 one

Help me pick! or if you have any better suggestion pls tell me! =]
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
56 upvotes
With your budget -- you could probably pick up a Dell Latitude E6400 (14.1").

Make sure you get one with the upgraded screen (1440x960 or something like that).

Hint: try eBay. Dell has a history of overpricing stuff on their Canadian 'build-to-order' website.
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
1339 posts
29 upvotes
MikoMew wrote: If i get a macbook with
Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB Memory chaning it to 4 gb
160GB hard drive1 chainging it to 500 gb
SD card slo
Built-in 7-hour battery2
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

is it better than
http://www1.ca.dell.com/ca/en/home/Lapt ... &cs=cadhs1
$1379 one

Help me pick! or if you have any better suggestion pls tell me! =]
In this case, the Dell has better specs, but then if you are willing to pay $1379 then why not get the Macbook Pro for $1299 (student discount), then you can sell the free iPod Touch and free printer to cover some of the cost.

Also, you have to consider if you want to use Windows for photo editing, video editing, and audio editing. Or would you rather do it on a Mac.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12804 posts
1808 upvotes
Toronto
felixmo wrote: <snip>
You're trying really hard to justify your purchase...!

I'd get the Studio XPS 13, easily. The graphics core is better, and build quality will be almost as good, but it's no unibody. Vista with SP2 is quite good.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
1339 posts
29 upvotes
In the end, it's your choice.

My suggestion is to narrow down your choices and look around for reviews or, if possible, find a friend or a store that has the laptop or a similar one, so you can see it in real life and see what you like :D
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2325 posts
145 upvotes
Dell XPS laptops suck! They overheat and Dell only offers Broadcom wireless cards which suck as well.

Dell has customization options but the options for the XPS line is pretty horrible.

I think Macs are overpriced and rather restrictive (mini-Display Ports?!?) but at least most have good quality.

I'd like to know of good laptop choices but too many have something to with them, usually hardware-related that cancels them out.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12804 posts
1808 upvotes
Toronto
teleguitar wrote: Dell XPS laptops suck! They overheat and Dell only offers Broadcom wireless cards which suck as well.

Dell has customization options but the options for the XPS line is pretty horrible.
The old XPS or the newer Studio XPS?
Deal with it.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2015 upvotes
Fernando Poo
felixmo wrote: With your budget, you could get the white 13" Macbook with the free printer and free iPod Touch :D

One of the things I love about Macbooks are how portable they are!

They are more than capable for all your tasks, including light gaming :D

I play Team Fortress 2 (1280x800 on high settings), Call Of Duty 4, Battlefield 2, and Age of Empires 3 on my 13" Macbook Pro (similar specs to the white Macbook).

All of the games I mentioned above run silky smooth!

Note: My Macbook is overclocked and is running modifed NVIDA Forceware drivers.

Macs are also a great choice because they already come with music editing (Garageband) and video editing (iMovie & iDVD) software, for free! Plus, you can buy iLife for schoolwork, Keynote presentations blow all Powerpoint-made presentations out of the water with the incredible visuals and animations.

If you don't want a Mac, I would recommend a Dell Studio or XPS laptop, since most of them come equipped with decent graphics cards for light gaming and are ready to handle all the tasks you listed.

Hope my lengthy post helps :D
The deal is for students or facility.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23081 posts
4592 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Personally I'd get the 14.1 Asus laptop for 989 + tax

Link

CPU : Intel C2D T4200 2.0GHz
LCD Size & Resolution : 14" HD 1366 x 768
MB Chipset : SIS 671DX+968
Optical Drive : 8x DVD-RW Super Multi Dual Layer
Memory : 4GB DDR2 800 DRAM 2XSODIMM up to 4GB
VGA Card : ATI HD4570 512M VRAM
Hard Drive : 250GB 5400RPM SATA
WLAN, TPM : 802.11 B/G/N, No
LAN/Fax Modem : 10/100
Battery/Run Time : Li-ion 6-cell
Interface : 3xUSB/1xHDMI
Bluetooth/Finger Print : No/No
Card Reader/PCMCIA : 8-in-1/ Express Card
Color/Weight/WxDxH : Black/5.3bs/13.4" x 9.5" x 1.4" - 1.5"
Warranty : 2 Yr Global, 1 Yr accidental damage, 30 days ZBD
Operating System : Windows Vista Home Premium
Carry bag& mouse : Yes
Camera : 1.3M
Software : MS Office Ready (60 Day Trial)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7360 posts
2360 upvotes
T dot 6
I have three different friends that all have HP laptops and they all had major problems with them.

One had video artifacts (actually a Nvidia chip issue, but they refused to acknowledge the problem), one wouldnt power up and one had to be RMAed within the first month which was a nightmare for my friend.

None of them will ever buy another HP product, let alone laptop.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23081 posts
4592 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Jaytee wrote: I have three different friends that all have HP laptops and they all had major problems with them.

One had video artifacts (actually a Nvidia chip issue, but they refused to acknowledge the problem), one wouldnt power up and one had to be RMAed within the first month which was a nightmare for my friend.

None of them will ever buy another HP product, let alone laptop.
I've had 2 HP laptops and both of them have been rock solid.

Although the data is a little old now, the data would suggest that most laptops are statically the same in reliability.

[url=http://cybernetnews.com/the-most-reliable-laptop-is/]The Most Reliable Laptop is

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)