Cell Phones

What is largest screen-size phablet that will work with Telus?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2016 12:09 pm
[OP]
Aug 19, 2016
5 posts

What is largest screen-size phablet that will work with Telus?

I'm aware that many phones can be cajoled to work with Telus, but my question is primarily about the size of the screen. I'd like something along the lines of the Huawei P8Max or anything else around the 6.5-7-inch mark. What I don't want to do is to buy one from overseas, bring it to Canada, and then find that I can't use it. Any suggestions?
12 replies
Aug 23, 2009
8 posts
2 upvotes
It has nothing to do with screen size, just which network bands it supports. The first sticky post has a website that can tell you if the phone you want will work with your network.
[OP]
Aug 19, 2016
5 posts
bh871 wrote: It has nothing to do with screen size, just which network bands it supports. The first sticky post has a website that can tell you if the phone you want will work with your network.
Well, my primary request was to obtain suggestions from the participants on this forum as to the best, most capable and most modern 6.5" plus sized phone. There are so many and they vary so much in specs that I'm going crosseyed reading them all. Unfortunately the link in the first post of the sticky goes right back to redflagdeals, and I got stuck for a bit until I copied and pasted it into the address bar and then it worked.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
21538 posts
156540 upvotes
GTA
If you are looking at 6.5"+ as opposed to 6" then that narrows the field significantly, although don't know how many people will have personal experience with those because in general, a 6.5"+ phone will, almost by necessity, be too wide to fit into a pants pocket.

That being said, take a look at the phone finder on GSMArena, filter the display size to 6.0"+ (you cannot filter to just 6.5"+) and take a look. The important thing to pay attention to is the variant/model number listed on the product page, because usually the support for the various bands differs between the variants. So if you order one from overseas, you are less likely to have support for NA bands vs buying on eBay from a US seller (because there's a chance it would be the NA variant), etc.

There is a Zenfone 3 Ultra that is 6.8" but I don't know if there is a NA variant for that or if you would be able to use it on Telus (you would need to check the specs for band support).
[OP]
Aug 19, 2016
5 posts
toguy wrote: If you are looking at 6.5"+ as opposed to 6" then that narrows the field significantly, although don't know how many people will have personal experience with those because in general, a 6.5"+ phone will, almost by necessity, be too wide to fit into a pants pocket.

That being said, take a look at the phone finder on GSMArena, filter the display size to 6.0"+ (you cannot filter to just 6.5"+) and take a look. The important thing to pay attention to is the variant/model number listed on the product page, because usually the support for the various bands differs between the variants. So if you order one from overseas, you are less likely to have support for NA bands vs buying on eBay from a US seller (because there's a chance it would be the NA variant), etc.

There is a Zenfone 3 Ultra that is 6.8" but I don't know if there is a NA variant for that or if you would be able to use it on Telus (you would need to check the specs for band support).
Thanks for the info, I currently have a Blackberry Passport which is one of the most flawed pieces of junk I've ever owned but I do love the hard keyboard. It's extremely wide so I'm already accustomed to dealing with the dimensions and the Zenfone 3 Ultra is only 3 mm wider so I should be ok there. The band specs on that phone are:

UMTS/WCDMA/TD-SCDMA/LTE/TDD-LTE/FDD-LTE
Data Rate:
HSPA+: UL 5.76 / DL 42.2 Mbps
LTE Cat6:UL 50 / DL 300 Mbps
2G:
850/900/1800/1900
WW version:
3G:
WCDMA: Band: 1/2/5/6/8/19
4G:
FDD: Band: 1/3/5/7/8/18/19/20/26/28
TD: Band: 38/40/41
CN version:
3G:
TD-SCDMA: Band: 34/39

So I take it that WW is the worldwide model and the CN is China only. The WillMyPhoneWork site says it will work on Telus:

3G Network:
850MHz, 1900MHz

4G LTE Network:
Band7-2600MHz

It's also a bit strange that the US pricing is supposed to be:

Zenfone 3 Ultra (ZU680KL) – $479

The official Asus site states: Europe, US, Canada, mid August... But I can't find any at all for sale in North America and all the other nations which do have it for sale such as the Philippines and Malaysia show a price that's about US$200 higher. However it would seem that they are going to be marketing them here so maybe they haven't launched quite yet.

I have had countless Asus motherboards and have always been extremely happy with them and although I know that doesn't necessarily translate into phone performance, the specs on it are amazing. 23MP camera! I love it! :)
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
21538 posts
156540 upvotes
GTA
hpc123 wrote:
toguy wrote: If you are looking at 6.5"+ as opposed to 6" then that narrows the field significantly, although don't know how many people will have personal experience with those because in general, a 6.5"+ phone will, almost by necessity, be too wide to fit into a pants pocket.

Thanks for the info, I currently have a Blackberry Passport which is one of the most flawed pieces of junk I've ever owned but I do love the hard keyboard. It's extremely wide so I'm already accustomed to dealing with the dimensions and the Zenfone 3 Ultra is only 3 mm wider so I should be ok there. The band specs on that phone are:

UMTS/WCDMA/TD-SCDMA/LTE/TDD-LTE/FDD-LTE
Data Rate:
HSPA+: UL 5.76 / DL 42.2 Mbps
LTE Cat6:UL 50 / DL 300 Mbps
2G:
850/900/1800/1900
WW version:
3G:
WCDMA: Band: 1/2/5/6/8/19
4G:
FDD: Band: 1/3/5/7/8/18/19/20/26/28
TD: Band: 38/40/41
CN version:
3G:
TD-SCDMA: Band: 34/39

So I take it that WW is the worldwide model and the CN is China only. The WillMyPhoneWork site says it will work on Telus:

3G Network:
850MHz, 1900MHz

4G LTE Network:
Band7-2600MHz

It's also a bit strange that the US pricing is supposed to be:

Zenfone 3 Ultra (ZU680KL) – $479

The official Asus site states: Europe, US, Canada, mid August... But I can't find any at all for sale in North America and all the other nations which do have it for sale such as the Philippines and Malaysia show a price that's about US$200 higher. However it would seem that they are going to be marketing them here so maybe they haven't launched quite yet.

I have had countless Asus motherboards and have always been extremely happy with them and although I know that doesn't necessarily translate into phone performance, the specs on it are amazing. 23MP camera! I love it! :)
Asus phones are great quality. I had a Zenfone 2 as my daily driver for a while and it was great (I am only selling it because I need something with a beefier battery for travelling). That being said, this one (the Ultra) blows it out of the water. In particular, it is one of the first phones with full aluminium unibody construction (no plastic pieces/gaps along the top and bottom of the device). I do like the additional screen real estate it offers, but again, I'm not sure I'm willing to make the compromise of not being to comfortably tuck it away in a pocket (apart from the fact that it is quite expensive right now). We'll see if it ever makes it to US/Canadian shores but the cheapest one going on eBay as an example is ~$900+fees, etc.
[OP]
Aug 19, 2016
5 posts
toguy wrote: Asus phones are great quality. I had a Zenfone 2 as my daily driver for a while and it was great (I am only selling it because I need something with a beefier battery for travelling). That being said, this one (the Ultra) blows it out of the water. In particular, it is one of the first phones with full aluminium unibody construction (no plastic pieces/gaps along the top and bottom of the device). I do like the additional screen real estate it offers, but again, I'm not sure I'm willing to make the compromise of not being to comfortably tuck it away in a pocket (apart from the fact that it is quite expensive right now). We'll see if it ever makes it to US/Canadian shores but the cheapest one going on eBay as an example is ~$900+fees, etc.
Yes, I've been reading up on reviews on the Zenfone 2 series and they are stellar so it's great to hear that you have had positive experiences with it. I just called the Asus Online Store and they don't have a listing yet, so we'll see when/if it becomes available. Since it states Mid-Aug. you would think that it would be soon. Although I don't really want to spend a grand on a phone, I certainly will if I have to in order to get this. Hopefully the sub-$500 USD price and local availability (and of course warranty) will be here soon!
[OP]
Aug 19, 2016
5 posts
After the courteous heads-up on that Zenfone 3 Ultra I'm 99% for sure going to get it as the specs are extremely high and after this BB Passport turkey, I think it's time that I had a state of the art phone! :)
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1368 posts
432 upvotes
Ottawa
I thought some of the Samsung tablets can be used (or at least used to be) as a phone when paired with a headset. Look for the LTE models (not the wifi only model).