Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2021 11:21 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
7285 posts
2166 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
evilYoda wrote: hmm most of those are from many years past.
True and for blockbusters I agree.

That being said I know films quite well - but I've discovered hidden gems from decades past through this thread I would have never unearthed normally - usually obscure, foreign or indie ones.

Keep them coming.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22094 posts
3318 upvotes
Toronto
motomondo wrote: Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Movies about time!
Time travel, time loops, etc.

Boss Level (2021). In Amazon Prime. A very entertaining movie, but the Grounhog Day concept (time loop) it's getting old IMHO. 6 out of 10.

Time Trap (2017) in Netflix: A bunch of kids go into a cave, looking for a missing professor. Time inside the cave moves slower than outside. It is pretty much the opposite than M. Night Shyamalan's upcoming movie "Old" (a beach where time moves a lot faster than elsewhere).
It is very much a small budget movie, but it was entertaining. 6 out of 10.

Time Lapse (2014) in tubi. My favorite of the three. A group of friends discover a machine that can take pictures of things 24 hours into the future. Not a new concept, but highly entertaining, it comes together very well. With Danielle Panabaker ("Killer Frost" from The Flash tv show). A micro-budget movie that is depending on the story and the acting. 7.5 out of 10. I think is was pretty cool.

I also saw that Predestination is on Netflix. Pretty good one too, I will watch it again.
these all look so good, I have queued them up for collection!!! **oops, I have Boss Level already - just haven't watched it**

Predestination with Ethan Hawke is awesome......trippy & mindblasting, I might need to watch it again!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Dec 14, 2016
572 posts
329 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
Crimson Tide (1995) – watched on Blu-Ray

I know some people really love this movie, but I can only go as far as saying it’s a pretty solid thriller. Hackman is his usual dependable self as a hard-nosed submarine captain and Washington more than holds his own as his second-in-command/sparring partner. Some things felt really contrived (like US intelligence somehow knowing the Russian rebels would be ready to launch a nuclear strike in an hour), but the plot holds together even if you hold it up to light scrutiny.

Personally, I wasn’t crazy about the Tarantino touch-ups with the Star Trek references and the Kirby vs. Moebius debate. I’m enough of a geek to completely understand what they were talking about, but those bits felt out of place in a serious suspense thriller where global annihilation could be the result.

The super pat ending was also a letdown. Not only does the conflict aboard the sub get resolved the only way that it could in a summer blockbuster, but the movie basically brushes off armed insurrection aboard a US sub as not being a big deal so we enter the realm of complete fantasy where military discipline doesn’t exist and no one suffers consequences.

The main reason I’m posting this movie in this thread is that Hackman and Washington are great. Despite all the issues with this film, I really enjoyed watching those two go at each other, so those two really put this movie over the top for me.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10651 posts
5159 upvotes
Toronto
motomondo wrote: Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Movies about time!
Time travel, time loops, etc.

Boss Level (2021). In Amazon Prime. A very entertaining movie, but the Grounhog Day concept (time loop) it's getting old IMHO. 6 out of 10.

Time Trap (2017) in Netflix: A bunch of kids go into a cave, looking for a missing professor. Time inside the cave moves slower than outside. It is pretty much the opposite than M. Night Shyamalan's upcoming movie "Old" (a beach where time moves a lot faster than elsewhere).
It is very much a small budget movie, but it was entertaining. 6 out of 10.

Time Lapse (2014) in tubi. My favorite of the three. A group of friends discover a machine that can take pictures of things 24 hours into the future. Not a new concept, but highly entertaining, it comes together very well. With Danielle Panabaker ("Killer Frost" from The Flash tv show). A micro-budget movie that is depending on the story and the acting. 7.5 out of 10. I think is was pretty cool.

I also saw that Predestination is on Netflix. Pretty good one too, I will watch it again.
Thanks haven't seen any of those yet.

Of course for the time loop concept, Edge of Tomorrow, is probably top dog, IMO . I also like Deja Vu with Denzel Washington and Val Kilmer. Although not strictly time loopy, it has some decent moments.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.

Respect your OP's. They don't get paid to do this, and don't have to come here to post their deals for you. They can all just hoard their deals in silence, if you prefer?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
7285 posts
2166 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
PlainDealer wrote: Crimson Tide (1995) – watched on Blu-Ray

I know some people really love this movie, but I can only go as far as saying it’s a pretty solid thriller. Hackman is his usual dependable self as a hard-nosed submarine captain and Washington more than holds his own as his second-in-command/sparring partner. Some things felt really contrived (like US intelligence somehow knowing the Russian rebels would be ready to launch a nuclear strike in an hour), but the plot holds together even if you hold it up to light scrutiny.

Personally, I wasn’t crazy about the Tarantino touch-ups with the Star Trek references and the Kirby vs. Moebius debate. I’m enough of a geek to completely understand what they were talking about, but those bits felt out of place in a serious suspense thriller where global annihilation could be the result.

The super pat ending was also a letdown. Not only does the conflict aboard the sub get resolved the only way that it could in a summer blockbuster, but the movie basically brushes off armed insurrection aboard a US sub as not being a big deal so we enter the realm of complete fantasy where military discipline doesn’t exist and no one suffers consequences.

The main reason I’m posting this movie in this thread is that Hackman and Washington are great. Despite all the issues with this film, I really enjoyed watching those two go at each other, so those two really put this movie over the top for me.
Solid points and I agree for the most part.
I love the acting from the leads, musical score and cinematography - it's a 90s classic for the genre.
I'm surprised you didn't mention the people in smaller roles that turned out to be a lot bigger - Viggo Mortensen, James Gandolfini, and hell, even Steve Zahn.

How do you think it stacks up to 1990's The Hunt for Red October?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2794 posts
1250 upvotes
Burning B.C.
We watched the Danish action film "Riders of Justice" with Mads Mikkelsen the other night, There's a terrible train accident that kills a number of people, including Mikkelsen's wife. His character, Markus, is in the military and returns home to take care of his daughter. Meanwhile, there's a mathematician, Otto, who believes the accident was not in fact an accident. Otto contacts Markus with his theory. Markus, Otto and two of Otto's friends team up.

There's a lot of violence, but also quite a bit of humour and sadness. And a solid theme that extends throughout the film that drives the plot and gives you something to think about at the end. But I think saying what that theme is would be a spoiler, so I won't. The film is extremely entertaining. Mikkelsen, the director and Nikolaj Lie Kaas, who plays Otto, have made a number of films together. There's a lot of chemistry between Mikkelsen and Kaas' characters for sure.

Trailer: https://www.imdb.com/video/vi3304767513 ... _=tt_ov_vi
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
Oct 14, 2009
768 posts
296 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
idiotcanuck wrote: Thanks haven't seen any of those yet.

Of course for the time loop concept, Edge of Tomorrow, is probably top dog, IMO . I also like Deja Vu with Denzel Washington and Val Kilmer. Although not strictly time loopy, it has some decent moments.
I usually enjoy time loop movies, but there seems to be an awful lot of them lately.

One time loop movie that I saw that was pretty good was a Korean film: A Day
Dec 14, 2016
572 posts
329 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
newt_101 wrote: I'm surprised you didn't mention the people in smaller roles that turned out to be a lot bigger - Viggo Mortensen, James Gandolfini, and hell, even Steve Zahn.

How do you think it stacks up to 1990's The Hunt for Red October?
The supporting players were good but one note. Mortensen is the only one who had any kind of real conflict and his character came off as not standing by his own convictions, being swayed by Ramsey's men one minute and then switching sides the next after Hunter gets to him. This is a necessary plot device, I know, but for me, it didn't do Mortensen any favours; that is, had I seen this movie in 1995, I wouldn't have walked away thinking that he was a guy to look out for.

I would say the same for the other guys who went on to become big names: they did their part but didn't stand out. IMHO, the only supporting actor who really distinguished himself was George Dzundza as the Chief of the Boat. He had the great moment where Hunter thanks him and he explains his decision was based on procedure rather than agreeing with Hunter's opinion--now that's standing behind your convictions. Also, when the Alabama is about to reach the hull-crushing depth, Dzundza doesn't go into hysterics but instead pulls back on his performance. It's like his character understands that there's nothing to be gained by freaking out so he remains professional and calmly calls out the increasing depth as the craft is plummeting to its doom. I don't know if that was a direction from Scott or an acting choice by Dzundza, but whichever it was, it really helped him stand out.

In my book, The Hunt for Red October is the high-watermark for modern action sub movies. Everything just clicks in that film (OK, maybe not the horrible blue screen effects in the final scene) and again, there are some outstanding performances by the co-leads. It also has the benefit of switching settings so you're not constantly stuck in the one sub.

Now that I think about it, I think I'm more of a John McTiernan guy than I am a Tony Scott fan. I haven't seen every movie that either man has made, but I know that I enjoyed McTiernan's films more because they have great action but also feel like complete narratives. That's not to say that Crimson Tide isn't a cohesive story, just that it has some contrivances that really call attention to themselves and bump hard against your suspension of disbelief.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4574 posts
2091 upvotes
I just watched a South Korean movie that I liked a lot.

And I mean, a lot. 9 out of 10.

Burning (2018)
with Steven Yeun. I knew nothing about it, I didn't watch the trailer, I just started watching...

From the very beginning, the story was leaving all kind of clues. It is very subtle, but the movie builds very complex story / characters. As the movie moved on, I was suspicious of each characters' motivation. Who is telling the truth? There are many small mysteries in the story. At the end I was asking myself, nevermind who is telling the truth, but "what is the truth, anyways?"

It has a similar theme as Bong Joon-ho’s Parasite (financial inequality). There is a huge inequality between the two male characters (money and otherwise). One of them a blue collar young man who aspires to be a writer, the other one a wealthy man, who has no explanation or context, and who seems to get away with anything.

My only criticism is that is too long compared to traditional North American movies. Some parts could be speed up, and with some editing, it could be 20 mins shorter.

Still, it is great, a slow burner that will leave you thinking about it for a while...

In Tubi (for free) and I think also in Amazon Prime?
Dec 14, 2016
572 posts
329 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
^ Confirmed: Burning is on vanilla Prime. It might also be available through Hoopla depending on your local library.

The biggest difference I found between Burning and Parasite is that the latter is a considerably more traditional narrative. Burning toys with you; it obviously understands how mystery thrillers work and assumes that you know as well. So the movie plants a whole bunch of clues and then subverts your expectations by dragging you deeper and deeper into uncertainty. I thought the direction and acting were quite strong, but by the end, I had no idea what director Lee Chang-Dong was trying to say. There's the possibility he wasn't trying to say anything at all, but if that were the case, he spent a lot of time and effort to not make a point.

﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡
Booksmart (2019) - watched on Amazon Prime

I know this movie has been mentioned in both this thread and the Bad Movie thread. For my part, it really worked. It wasn't LOL funny, but I was always amused and was really into the performances of not just the two lead actresses but of everyone in the cast.

Kaitlyn Dever and Beanie Feldstein knock it out of the park as the joined-at-the-hip best friends, Amy and Molly. The movie wisely steers clear of telling you what great friends they are and instead shows you how they're BFFs. In fact, the movie opens with Amy picking up Molly for school and the two do The Robot before getting in the car; the beauty of this is that it doesn't come off as forced but feels like something two people who've been friends for years would do.

I also love that Amy is openly gay at the start of this movie, so we're not stuck with the tired cliché of a gay person trying to figure out how to come out of the closet. It's also not an issue; nobody gives her a hard time about it, so she's treated like any other kid at school.

The authenticity of modern high school life is what this movie really nails. The kids sound like teenagers, not middle-aged screenwriters trying to mimic the speech of kids. There are cliques as you would expect, so besides the two bookworm leads, you have the jocks, the rich kids, the theatre kids, the popular girls, and the stoners. Despite the number of characters, they manage to sound distinct. In particular, there's the indescribable Gigi (played by Carrie Fisher's daughter, Billie Lourd) who manages to stand out by being the most bizarre one-woman running gag in living memory.

Not all the jokes land, and a couple of plot threads are wrapped up a little too tidily. For the most part, though, the chances taken pay off more often than not, and this movie earns its title with a really smart script. It might be too early to call it, but I wouldn't be surprised if this gets added to the list of all-time classic high school comedies.

Note for Amazon subscribers: Prime has a warning saying that this title is getting dropped on June 18, so if it piques your interest, you might want to watch it before it turns into a VOD rental or gets moved to a premium subscription channel.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4134 posts
2008 upvotes
Mississauga
motomondo wrote: I just watched a South Korean movie that I liked a lot.

And I mean, a lot. 9 out of 10.

Burning (2018)
with Steven Yeun. I knew nothing about it, I didn't watch the trailer, I just started watching...

From the very beginning, the story was leaving all kind of clues. It is very subtle, but the movie builds very complex story / characters. As the movie moved on, I was suspicious of each characters' motivation. Who is telling the truth? There are many small mysteries in the story. At the end I was asking myself, nevermind who is telling the truth, but "what is the truth, anyways?"

It has a similar theme as Bong Joon-ho’s Parasite (financial inequality). There is a huge inequality between the two male characters (money and otherwise). One of them a blue collar young man who aspires to be a writer, the other one a wealthy man, who has no explanation or context, and who seems to get away with anything.

My only criticism is that is too long compared to traditional North American movies. Some parts could be speed up, and with some editing, it could be 20 mins shorter.

Still, it is great, a slow burner that will leave you thinking about it for a while...

In Tubi (for free) and I think also in Amazon Prime?
I watched this last night on Prime based on your reco. This movie really make you think about the characters and whats happening. You are right, this could have been 1h shorter if they cut out the unnecessary wackoff scenes.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3005 posts
560 upvotes
Pickering
Burning was a very slow burn, pun intended. The characters did not keep my interest and was watching until the end just for some sort of answer, other movies can pull this off but Burning left me frustrated with it's progress. Still enjoyable but way too long, I feel Parasite was much much better.
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
7285 posts
2166 upvotes
Toronto (Central)

Bit torn on this as the concept/story are good, but the execution is somewhat messy and I felt it could have made a better documentary instead of a found-footage dramatic thriller (like the director's previous + absolutely brilliant 'Searching').

All in all, still worth a watch.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
7285 posts
2166 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
PlainDealer wrote:
In my book, The Hunt for Red October is the high-watermark for modern action sub movies. Everything just clicks in that film (OK, maybe not the horrible blue screen effects in the final scene) and again, there are some outstanding performances by the co-leads. It also has the benefit of switching settings so you're not constantly stuck in the one sub.

Now that I think about it, I think I'm more of a John McTiernan guy than I am a Tony Scott fan. I haven't seen every movie that either man has made, but I know that I enjoyed McTiernan's films more because they have great action but also feel like complete narratives. That's not to say that Crimson Tide isn't a cohesive story, just that it has some contrivances that really call attention to themselves and bump hard against your suspension of disbelief.
Strange how some special effects stand up so well (i.e. 2001 Space Odyssey) decades later and others crash and burn so bad in a shorter time (i.e. The Scorpion King).

Scott did one of my all-time favourites ever (True Romance) but McTiernan's stands supreme with > solid films (Predator, Die Hard, Hunt for Red October)
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4134 posts
2008 upvotes
Mississauga
Bliss.

This one was a mind **** to say the least. Im pretty sure viewers will either hate and like this. Nothing in between. On Prime.

Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1544 posts
1439 upvotes
Finally got around to watching The Wailing (2016).

Heard a lot of good things about it. Wasn't disappointed. What a movie! Now I am craving more Korean horror/thrillers films. What are some good films in that genre? I saw Parasite last year and really liked it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
7285 posts
2166 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Hindenburg1 wrote: Finally got around to watching The Wailing (2016).

Heard a lot of good things about it. Wasn't disappointed. What a movie! Now I am craving more Korean horror/thrillers films. What are some good films in that genre? I saw Parasite last year and really liked it.
Off the top of my head:

Memories of Murder
Vengeance trilogy (from Chan Wook Park)
The Chaser
I Saw the Devil
Oct 14, 2009
768 posts
296 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
Hindenburg1 wrote: Finally got around to watching The Wailing (2016).

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but there was some talk a few posts earlier about time travel/time loop movies.

There were a couple of other Korean movies I've seen recently that were pretty good:
Time Renegades - this one does have a mystery/thriller aspect to it along with time travel.
Will You Be There
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
13614 posts
5599 upvotes
Toronto
newt_101 wrote: Strange how some special effects stand up so well (i.e. 2001 Space Odyssey) decades later and others crash and burn so bad in a shorter time (i.e. The Scorpion King).
Friend, The Mummy Returns CG Rock weren't (sic) good when it hit theatres! (YMMV)