Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 10:10 am
Tags:
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
A Ciambra (2017). Wached it on bluray

Best italian movie I have watched in a while. Actually, I can't remember any other movie in italian in the last 10 years that is even close to this one. Actually, make that 20 years.

With a full cast of non-professional actors, the movie feels almost like a documentary. Very simple plot, basically a "day in the life of" Pio, a 14-year old romani (gypsy) boy.

*the movie is not about one single day, I mean that it is in that style, a snapshot of his life.

It may start a bit slow, just give it 5 minutes, it will take you into that world.

8 out of 10. Plus extra gold star for showing that environment/neighborhood/lifestyle to the world.
7611 posts
5047 upvotes
Blood Red Sky

Enjoyed it for the most part. Main antagonist was a surprise.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
3872 posts
1874 upvotes
Toronto
Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning
It's a shame that the latest sequel (and prequel) never got to be shown on the big screen outside of Japan. The Kenshin live-action films have been fantastic.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1782 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto
Watched Ronin last night for the first time in maybe a decade, still love that film. Cold war thriller sensibilities for a bunch of post-Cold War professionals looking for their way in the world. And some amazing car chase sequences.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1865 posts
1262 upvotes
GTA
The Mitchell's vs the Machines (2021) is a great family movie.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
The Boy Behind the Door

This tight (88 minutes) edge-of-your-seat cat and mouse thriller could have easily gone down the cruel/disturbing/exploitative route with the subject matter at hand, but it didn't and I applaud it for just that. Well-done.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
Saint Maud (2019)

I didn't see your review, or any review / synopsis, and I did not watch any trailer.
I just clicked on it on Netflix because I thought it looked interesting.

Someone else was watching it with me.
Very interesting movie.
As we watched it, we had a conversation about mental health and religious beliefs (and religious delusions).
It would have been a great movie anyway, but that ending. Wow! it shook me. LOL. Very well executed.

A very notable first movie for the director/writer. I can't wait for her next movie.
PlainDealer wrote: Saint Maud (2019)

I don't remember the last movie I saw with a mic drop moment just before the credits roll, but Saint Maud is certainly that. The experience certainly left an impression: I was minding my own business watching this slow burn movie about a caregiver finding a little too much religion when I got to the final half second and the movie suddenly punched me in the throat before taking off.

Damn, I really wish I could've seen this with a large crowd just to see what everyone's reaction would be to that final moment.
914 posts
948 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
You had the right idea going in, @motomondo. Too many people expect a certain type of horror movie when they see an A24 release, so loads of people walked away dissatisfied with Saint Maud when they didn't get something like The Witch, Hereditary, or Midsommar.

I'm not entirely convinced that Saint Maud is a horror movie. First and foremost, it's a rather tragic character study...it just so happens to have a few moments of horror.

I dunno about you, but I was cringing when she did the walk of penance.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
PlainDealer wrote: You had the right idea going in, @motomondo. Too many people expect a certain type of horror movie when they see an A24 release, so loads of people walked away dissatisfied with Saint Maud when they didn't get something like The Witch, Hereditary, or Midsommar.

I'm not entirely convinced that Saint Maud is a horror movie. First and foremost, it's a rather tragic character study...it just so happens to have a few moments of horror.

I dunno about you, but I was cringing when she did the walk of penance.
Absolut feeling of WTF and flinching at the same time.

A very medieval practice that still exist todays.

In Italy (Flagellants of Nocera Terinese), in Spain, in Latin America. The Philippines Flagellants, etc.

Absolutely disconcerting practices. Either for penance, or to achieve spiritual enlightening, I just don't get it.

Watching the movie made me remember examples from real life. Very intense creepiness.
9310 upvotes
The Negotiator, The Last Mercenary, The Expendables 1 and 2.
Blanka
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
motomondo wrote: A Ciambra (2017). Wached it on bluray

Best italian movie I have watched in a while. Actually, I can't remember any other movie in italian in the last 10 years that is even close to this one. Actually, make that 20 years.
+1
Thanks for the recommendation - well-done slice-of-life movie.

In terms of Italian movies from the last 20 years that are as good (or better):

Dogman
The Best of Youth
The Great Beauty
Gomorrah
I'm Not Scared
Perfect Strangers
Dec 14, 2016
914 posts
948 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
Inside Out

I probably don't need to tell anybody how great this movie is. The emotions' adventures inside Riley's mind are really cleverly blended with everything she's feeling after moving across the country. We've all been adolescents at some point so where she is emotionally is completely understandable.

While Joy arguably has the biggest arc in the film, she is a little hard to take IMHO. I get why she tries to be in charge and keep Riley happy all the time, but she came off as insufferable so the lesson she has to learn feels like it's a really long time coming.

Otherwise, this is an A+ movie and easily one of the best things Pixar has ever done. If they return to form and come out with another movie like this in the future, I really hope Disney has the good sense to release it theatrically.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
Chaos Walking (2021)

Daisy Ridley, Tom Holland, Mads Mikkelsen, Demian Bichir, Cynthia Erivo, Nick Jonas.

Great cast. And the main premise is pretty good.
But the actual movie fails to deliver. It could have been much better.

There are quite a few inconsistencies in logic, within the story.

But the characters are OK, I was entertained till the end.

6 out of 10.

12038 posts
5143 upvotes
motomondo wrote: Chaos Walking (2021)

Daisy Ridley, Tom Holland, Mads Mikkelsen, Demian Bichir, Cynthia Erivo, Nick Jonas.

Great cast. And the main premise is pretty good.
But the actual movie fails to deliver. It could have been much better.

There are quite a few inconsistencies in logic, within the story.

But the characters are OK, I was entertained till the end.

6 out of 10.
A 6 out of 10 makes the "good movie" list now? I guess expectations have been lowered post pandemic
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: A 6 out of 10 makes the "good movie" list now? I guess expectations have been lowered post pandemic
All my posts in this thread are based on the "Rotten Tomatoes" rule.

Films with a score of 60% or higher = "Fresh"

Everything under 60%, I post it on the other thread (bad movies) IF the movie is noteworthy in some way.

I watch many bad movies, but I don't post them all.

It's not connected to the pandemic, I have been doing it this way since the beginning.

In your opinion, what is the percentage (or stars, or points) that make a movie "good"?
12038 posts
5143 upvotes
Sorry if I am threadjacking here:
While movie opinions are subjective, and you claimed to have been entertained, I recommend you follow your own Rotten Tomatoes advice. IMO something at 22% on there, and 38% on Metacritic, has no place on a good movie thread. In your own words "the actual movie fails to deliver", but... Maybe we can start a new thread What is the last not too shabby movie you watched that had a good idea, or cast/director/etc and could've been good, but it's not... Oh wait, there is already one Winking Face
end rant
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: Sorry if I am threadjacking here:
While movie opinions are subjective, and you claimed to have been entertained, I recommend you follow your own Rotten Tomatoes advice. IMO something at 22% on there, and 38% on Metacritic, has no place on a good movie thread. In your own words "the actual movie fails to deliver", but... Maybe we can start a new thread What is the last not too shabby movie you watched that had a good idea, or cast/director/etc and could've been good, but it's not... Oh wait, there is already one Winking Face
end rant
Interesting idea, but if we are just going to follow Rotten Tomatoes ratings, or Metacritic, do we need this thread at all?

"Let's delete this thread, and everyone can simply go to Rotten Tomatoes".

Black Question Mark Ornament
12775 upvotes
Toronto
moto you've no need to explain nor justify your post.
You gave your score and your reasoning.
If people think 6 doesn't reflect a 'good' movie, then it's not a good movie to them.
IMO carry on.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
jenviea wrote: moto you've no need to explain nor justify your post.
You gave your score and your reasoning.
If people think 6 doesn't reflect a 'good' movie, then it's not a good movie to them.
IMO carry on.
Exactly.

I'd much rather read reviews like yours that show pros/cons and give insight or commentary, compared to people who just put a link to CinemaScore or RT - we all know how to Google search something.
Plus, back in high school, I remember passing quite a few courses with a 60% and I considered that 'good' Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)