Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 10:10 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2550 posts
1011 upvotes

My gran has Alzheimer's disease, so this hit very close to home.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
sixteen12 wrote:

My gran has Alzheimer's disease, so this hit very close to home.
We watched it a few weeks ago. Anthony Hopkins is such an amazing actor.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
motomondo wrote: It was a Lin-Manuel Miranda Saturday.

In the Heights (2021) and
Tick, Tick... Boom! (2021) in Netflix

I recognize the huge amount of talent that went into the making of In the Heights. But it did not grab my attention like Hamilton (Hamilton was another level). 7 out of 10 for me.

Tick, Tick... Boom! was 8 out of 10, Andrew Garfield is absolutely fantastic, as the movie starts, I was not sure he could do it, but he dances, sings, acts, etc. etc. I would watch it again for the songs.
I finally got around to Tick Tick Boom last night, it was good and I mostly agree with your rating. I actually went back and watched Rent for the first time earlier in January and while I recognize Jonathan Larson's level of talent, his style of song writing is hit and miss for me but unlike Rent I thoroughly enjoyed Tick Tick Boom for the outstanding directing, storytelling and performances. After watching both this and Rent, I can see Larson's influence on Lin-Manuel who was was the right choice to direct this and Andrew Garfield's performance is well deserving of his best actor nomination. The cameos by the Schuyler sisters from Hamilton and especially H.A.W.K Smooth were a nice surprise. 8/10
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Drive My Car - This years foreign dark horse candidate with 4 oscar nominations include best picture, directing, and screenplay. is a beautifully shot film that does a good job immersing you into the setting and characters however beyond the first 75-90 minutes, the story didn't resonate with me enough to warrant being 3 hours long. It held my attention through the outstanding cinematography and good performances however I was hoping for a more profound reveal and moment that never really happens rather it sort of fizzled out for me by the end.
I still think it's a good film overall but unlike other recent well received foreign films (Parasite, Burning, Monos, Roma, Another Round etc), Drive My Car is a much longer slow burn compared to any of those that I would hesitate to recommend just anyone. I'm glad I watched it but I probably won't revisit it. 7/10
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
There is a French movie "trending" on Netflix, I decided to give it a chance, and it is pretty good.

I would recommend NOT to watch the trailer, or the synopsis, just give it 10 or 15 mins of your time, probably you will be hooked...

At the end, "Restless" gets a little bit "in your face" (like too obvious), for example, they want to make clear the bad guy is really, really bad... the writing is a bit clumsy at the end, but overall it's cool.

Right amount of mystery, action, and thriller.
777 posts
773 upvotes
Montreal
motomondo wrote: There is a French movie "trending" on Netflix, I decided to give it a chance, and it is pretty good.

I would recommend NOT to watch the trailer, or the synopsis, just give it 10 or 15 mins of your time, probably you will be hooked...

At the end, "Restless" gets a little bit "in your face" (like too obvious), for example, they want to make clear the bad guy is really, really bad... the writing is a bit clumsy at the end, but overall it's cool.

Right amount of mystery, action, and thriller.

I don't recommend to watch any trailer unless you want to be spoiled
@_pibe
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: I actually have a few recent DC animated films to catch up on - will include this on the list!

Batman: Soul of the Dragon
Justice Society: World War II
Batman: The Long Halloween
Injustice
Catwoman: Hunted
Dude I watched Batman Soul Of The Dragon last night and it was so so good, way better than Catwoman Hunted. The setting, story, characters and soundtrack in this really hit for me and I loved how it wasn't all about Batman and allowed the other characters to shine. The action and this style of animation is so enjoyable in 4K HDR and I'm looking forward to watching the others you recommended here over the next week or so
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8739 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: Dude I watched Batman Soul Of The Dragon last night and it was so so good, way better than Catwoman Hunted. The setting, story, characters and soundtrack in this really hit for me and I loved how it wasn't all about Batman and allowed the other characters to shine. The action and this style of animation is so enjoyable in 4K HDR and I'm looking forward to watching the others you recommended here over the next week or so
Nice!! I have to watch it, I have too many things queued up to watch and not enough time.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of the others….I’m looking forward to watching Long Halloween too!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6938 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: Ohhhhh nice, I saw the trailer and it intrigued me…..can’t wait!
damn. it already got pirated like 3 days ago.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
CFRTim wrote: Not too shabby
I just finished No Exit and aside from it being a bit predictable and having some weird bad acting moments it still had some fun surprises and cool moments. Good short watch for a weekday evening. 7/10
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
The King's Man - The high points and visuals in this are awesome but it drags between the good parts with confusing writing and inconsistent pacing. As someone not familiar with the comics and barely remembering the previous films, this was an enjoyable watch in 4K Dolby Vision for the action and visuals. I remember seeing this mentioned in the "bad" movies thread and I'm wondering what those people are smoking (or not smoking). This isn't a bad film and is average at worst but well worth watching if you have a good 4K home theatre setup. 7/10
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
I watched Scream (2022) last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. There are plenty of callbacks to the four previous installments. The main hook they have this time is going meta on "requel" movies, e.g. movies that combine a reboot while still incorporating characters from the OG installments, like the recent Halloween movies. They also do a bit on elevated horror movies, like Get Out or all of the A24 titles. Plenty of humour and fun kills as well.

Overall, I'd rank the franchise from top to bottom as 1, 2, 4, 5 and 3, with 4 having just the tiniest edge over 5.
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
The Batman
Be kind and civil with one another
Dec 14, 2016
914 posts
948 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
Mad Max (1979)

The last time I saw this was on TV back in the '80s so I figured I was due for a re-watch. I can see how The Road Warrior (aka Mad Max 2) got away with being released as a standalone film in North America because this original movie is quite different than its sequels in several respects. Even though there's a lot that's run down (like the police HQ), civilization hasn't collapsed so the world in Mad Max just looks like the countryside complete with 18-wheel big rigs that travel the highways. The evil biker gang in the movie show up in a little town that has stores, a running railway, and townsfolk who you wouldn't give a second thought to if you passed them in the streets. The desert wasteland and remaining vestiges of humanity scavenging for food and gasoline that are so closely linked to the series are nowhere to be found in this first movie.

Also, Max isn't a loner; he's a policeman in this movie and his fellow cops play key roles in the story. He also has a wife and toddler and they also have important parts to play in what turns out to be Max's origin story. This movie actually feels more like the early Dirty Harry or Death Wish movies than it does its sequels.

The making of Mad Max talks about how influential this movie was and how its chase sequences and extreme violence were like nothing that came before it. I think the talking heads in those interviews conveniently forgot about all those American road movies from the '70s as well as the dystopian Death Race 2000 which came out four years before Mad Max. While this film is nowhere near as groundbreaking as that making of suggests it is, I will have to concede that the chase scenes (like the opening where the police attempt to catch a convict who stole one of their vehicles) are far more visceral and exciting than many of the speeding car scenes in Hollywood films that came before.

I enjoyed this re-watch as much as I did when I first saw this movie back in the '80s. One question that I had, though, was how I managed to understand the dialogue as a kid when there were no subtitles and no Google to help decipher the Australian slang. Some of you probably know the answer (which I didn't until I did a bit of digging): the version that was released on North American TV and home video was dubbed over by American actors and the Aussie slang was translated into US vernacular. My re-watch contained the original Australian soundtrack so even with subs turned on, I had to backtrack a couple of times to catch what the characters were saying.

Having recently sat through several Hollywood race/chase movies from the '60s and '70s, I find I'm not a big fan of them because they're pretty tame by today's standards. Mad Max, though, totally stands up because of the variety of shots including ones from inside the vehicles involved in the chases. I really enjoyed this revisit, Aussie slang and all, and will more than likely come back to it again.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.