Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 10:10 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
newt_101 wrote: The Outfit

Like twists in your period-piece classic thrillers? This one is for you.
Rylance is fabulous, the story (could have easily been a stage production) is engaging and the ending is solid.
Good times.
The film of the year for me so far and I vow to have it on my list for best of 2022 if you make a thread for it. And I'll harass you until you add it to your list LOL.

Rylance showed all that Shakespearean training with the dialogue. He had this breathy, metered delivery that highlighted every moment of cleverness. It was really like music and IMO this film really benefits from subtitles so you don't miss a word. Hubby said that the delivery reminded him of Peter Sellers' Chance the gardener in "Being There." And I kind of agree, except that each actor's intention in speaking his words was entirely different due to the types of characters.

I read that Rylance trained on Savile Row as a cutter in prep for the film. That and maybe the casting of Zoey Deutch due to the chemistry between she and Ryalnce were two of the best pre-production decisions in the film. The beginning with the cutting and the voice over was hypnotic.

One thing that got me to watch it was a comparison to the film versions of "Sleuth," more the original from 1972 with Sir Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine, who both received Oscar nominations. Both "Sleuth" and "The Outfit" were clever, full of twists and turns, with a very limited number of actors and a single location for the most part. There are definitely similarities. Although "Sleuth" is a bit dated.

An awesome recommendation from you.
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
TheHans wrote: The film of the year for me so far and I vow to have it on my list for best of 2022 if you make a thread for it. And I'll harass you until you add it to your list LOL.

Rylance showed all that Shakespearean training with the dialogue. He had this breathy, metered delivery that highlighted every moment of cleverness. It was really like music and IMO this film really benefits from subtitles so you don't miss a word. Hubby said that the delivery reminded him of Peter Sellers' Chance the gardener in "Being There." And I kind of agree, except that each actor's intention in speaking his words was entirely different due to the types of characters.

I read that Rylance trained on Savile Row as a cutter in prep for the film. That and maybe the casting of Zoey Deutch due to the chemistry between she and Ryalnce were two of the best pre-production decisions in the film. The beginning with the cutting and the voice over was hypnotic.

One thing that got me to watch it was a comparison to the film versions of "Sleuth," more the original from 1972 with Sir Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine, who both received Oscar nominations. Both "Sleuth" and "The Outfit" were clever, full of twists and turns, with a very limited number of actors and a single location for the most part. There are definitely similarities. Although "Sleuth" is a bit dated.

An awesome recommendation from you.
My pleasure - I'm all about recommending movies that aren't mentioned here or may have escaped people's radar.

Top 2022 for you? What else are your top ones so far this year?
Let's see what the next several months have in store for us.

Rylance really did make the film soar! He was one of my fav actors in "Don't Look Up" (hilarious) and I still have "Bridge of Spies" on my watch list.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: I never heard of it - just looked it up. Are you looking about the horror film from 2019? I usually don't watch horror films, I even have a hard time with suspense movies lol.
Not really a horror film, or at least I wouldn't classify it as horror. Damn, resident evil movies are probably more horror lol.

Anyways, just watched a few shows.

6 underground - fun action, said to myself the first 10min into the movie, seems like something michael bay would direct and sure enough, so many explosions and camera mis-queues and prop errors wasn't even funny.
Spit on your Grave 2010 - very decently done.
Midnight Sky - twisting and enjoyable.
Predestination - omg melted my brain.
Transformers the animated movie - I can always find time to throw this on.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
newt_101 wrote: My pleasure - I'm all about recommending movies that aren't mentioned here or may have escaped people's radar.

Top 2022 for you? What else are your top ones so far this year?
Let's see what the next several months have in store for us.
It's easy for me to pick "The Outfit" at this point because I've been disappointed by most films I've seen so far this year. Mind you, I haven't seen "Everything Everywhere All at Once" yet and I'm a big Michelle Yeoh fangirl LOL. Although I really, really liked Amy Poehler's doc "Lucy and Desi." It was an awesome film about two trailblazers in early TV. You really get an appreciation for what Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz did in the context of comedy and the technical aspects of sitcoms. Poehler's a surprisingly good documentatrian. She's no Errol Morris LOL. But if you like TV history it's worth the watch.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
TheHans wrote: It's easy for me to pick "The Outfit" at this point because I've been disappointed by most films I've seen so far this year. Mind you, I haven't seen "Everything Everywhere All at Once" yet and I'm a big Michelle Yeoh fangirl LOL. Although I really, really liked Amy Poehler's doc "Lucy and Desi." It was an awesome film about two trailblazers in early TV. You really get an appreciation for what Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz did in the context of comedy and the technical aspects of sitcoms. Poehler's a surprisingly good documentatrian. She's no Errol Morris LOL. But if you like TV history it's worth the watch.
Sweet! Thanks for the recommendation.
Speaking of Errol Morris, my top from him is still the 'First Person' series - some of those were just far too good.
Oh and I'm going to see '"Everything Everywhere All at Once' this weekend so stay tuned :)
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
newt_101 wrote: Sweet! Thanks for the recommendation.
Speaking of Errol Morris, my top from him is still the 'First Person' series - some of those were just far too good.
Oh and I'm going to see '"Everything Everywhere All at Once' this weekend so stay tuned :)
You're going to see it? Show off...

Re: Errol Morris, my favourite will always be "The Thin Blue Line." I know it's one of his older ones, but when I saw it, I couldn't believe what happened in it and how influential the documentary was. Who ever knew a shot of a tape player with the tape going around in circles could be so exciting LOL. I liked the "First Person" series. Also "Wormwood" about those MK-Ultra experiments.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
TheHans wrote: You're going to see it? Show off...

Re: Errol Morris, my favourite will always be "The Thin Blue Line." I know it's one of his older ones, but when I saw it, I couldn't believe what happened in it and how influential the documentary was. Who ever knew a shot of a tape player with the tape going around in circles could be so exciting LOL. I liked the "First Person" series. Also "Wormwood" about those MK-Ultra experiments.
Yes! Wormwood was crazy. I never knew about that stuff until I actually saw the movie.

The Thin Blue Line I think probably is his most important because it paved the way for all of those Netflix investigative crime documentaries that people speak so highly of and feel are so original.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
newt_101 wrote: Yes! Wormwood was crazy. I never knew about that stuff until I actually saw the movie.

The Thin Blue Line I think probably is his most important because it paved the way for all of those Netflix investigative crime documentaries that people speak so highly of and feel are so original.
The one Morris did after "The Thin Blue LIne" about Stephen Hawking, "A Brief History of Time," is 100X better than that Eddie Redmayne drama "The Theory of Everything" IMO. It's very different I know, if for no other reason because Hawking himself was in Morris' doc. But still, Morris has a gift.
May 4, 2008
10 posts
3 upvotes
Everything Everywhere All At Once was such a fresh and creative movie. Loved every part of it and would recommend it to anyone!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
Thanks to all who recommended The Outfit - I agree brilliant film, always keeping you on your toes. I especially liked all the cutting and sewing scenes....reminds me of my mum who used to make her some of her own clothes when she was younger.

I wasn't planning to watch Everything Everywhere All At Once after reading up on it (not typically the kind of movie I watch), but given everyone's positive review of it, I'll put it on my list.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Gonna add The Outfit to our list to watch soon... 3 generations of family will be watching so interesting night when we do watch.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1770 posts
1902 upvotes
Toronto
Evil Baby wrote: A lively theatre (when it comes to laughter) makes a movie so much more enjoyable. I remember watching Waiting... (2005) in theatre and being in tears because everyone was having such a good time.
I think I know what Im watching tonight. Came into this thread looking for something.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
georvu wrote: Gonna add The Outfit to our list to watch soon... 3 generations of family will be watching so interesting night when we do watch.
There's no nudity, sex scenes or swearing though there's some violence....so good pick for a family viewing.

It's good to know that there are great movies being made without all this stuff that are just as enjoyable if not more.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
hierophant wrote: Thanks to all who recommended The Outfit - I agree brilliant film, always keeping you on your toes. I especially liked all the cutting and sewing scenes....reminds me of my mum who used to make her some of her own clothes when she was younger.

I wasn't planning to watch Everything Everywhere All At Once after reading up on it (not typically the kind of movie I watch), but given everyone's positive review of it, I'll put it on my list.
I was thinking about the cutting and sewing with the voice over and how metaphorical it ended up being. But also how bold it was to start the film this way with that great descriptive dialogue and Rylance so concentrated, doing this meticulous work that was so skillful. But on the other hand, that it was visually something so many of us could relate to, the sewing, the patterns. That type of thing. Those are the parts of the film that are really sticking with me.

It reminded me of that terrific horror series from earlier this year, "Archive 81." Where particularly in the early episodes for character development and also to drive the plot they showed the main character in his work doing film and video restoration. A painstaking task, but fascinating to watch and somehow relatable.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2014
1362 posts
1791 upvotes
Westmount, QC
TheHans wrote: It reminded me of that terrific horror series from earlier this year, "Archive 81." Where particularly in the early episodes for character development and also to drive the plot they showed the main character in his work doing film and video restoration. A painstaking task, but fascinating to watch and somehow relatable.
I'm really pissed Netflix cancelled the show.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
5027 posts
1789 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
The one time I go outside the list and get a recommendation from a "friend"..... I watched Moonfall Loudly Crying Face

Lesson learned
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
EugW wrote: I really liked it but it was definitely one of the weirdest movies I’ve seen in the last decade. I could see some people finding it too weird.

Strangely enough there were a lot of Marvel people involved with this movie, including actors, stunt men, producers, and casting director.
chubbz wrote: Everything Everywhere All At Once was such a fresh and creative movie. Loved every part of it and would recommend it to anyone!
theXshape wrote: I saw Everything, Everywhere, All at Once yesterday and man oh man was it funny ! I haven't laughed this hard during a movie in a while. I knew reviews were good, but with the trailer I didn't know what to expect exactly but it was a fun ride.

I am ashamed to say that I did not recognized Jonathan Ke Quan from Indiana Jones and The Goonies. Of course he didn't really continue with the acting gig and I saw him last year in the Netflix movie Finding O'hana but I didn't even know he was in it. In this movie, he felt familiar, at times he physically looked like Jackie Chan and Tony Leung (doesn't help that there are very obvious nods to their movies lol) but now that I looked him up on IMDB I just realised who he was.

If you guys can, go see this movie in theatres. We need to help these kind of movies get made.

Saw a matinee of this today and even though I'll leave it in the 'good movie' category, I didn't really like it that much.
So here's my quick take...

If I was to make a checklist of everything that a good movie should have this one ticks almost all the boxes (directors with a vision, excellent cinematography/editing, creative, funny, original, solid screenplay, stellar acting and I'm sure I could go on some more).
However, that's just its problem - it has TOO much in it, t's overwhelming and doesn't follow the concept that 'less is more'.
The 'too much' part is not just the timing (a little less than an hour could have been shaved off the running time) but also the examples and imagery and points.

Now with that being said, if you wanna do some psychedelics and trip out, more power to you.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
Unforgivable with Sandra Bullock - this was heavy movie, real tear jerker but really good, highly recommend it - despite a couple of mildly annoying characters , the cast was amazing! Not a spoiler but if you haven't seen it and plan to you may not want to read the part below in case it takes away from the film.

When I first saw Sandra Bullock I was so shocked by the way she looked - I wasn't sure if it's because she wore no makeup, or her makeup was done that way or she lost a lot of weight....at the beginning of the film she just looked mean and scary (intentional)...I just couldn't get over it b/c I'm just so used to her seeing her laughing, lovable, sweet, and so beautiful...by the end of the movie that was sort of redeemed.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote: I really liked it but it was definitely one of the weirdest movies I’ve seen in the last decade. I could see some people finding it too weird.

Strangely enough there were a lot of Marvel people involved with this movie, including actors, stunt men, producers, and casting director.

This movie had around 500 visual effects shots, but with only 5 people working on them, on a total movie budget of around $25 million.