Entertainment

What was the last 'good' movie you watched?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2020 11:46 am
Tags:
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 19, 2006
910 posts
181 upvotes
Richmond Hill
War and Peace. Watching it the rest of it at the TIFF Bell Lightbox right now. Will be buying the criterion blu ray and the penguin classic book.

Also Midsummer Night's Dream at Cineplex events. Watched it last Thursday. Will watch again on Wednesday.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 3, 2009
10386 posts
4698 upvotes
Toronto
I have been re-watching a bunch of classic Gary Ross written films recently.

Dave
Ivan Reitman- Kevin Kline, Sigourney Weaver, Frank Langella, Ben Kinglsley
The owner of a temp agency who moonlights as a presidential look alike, is asked to double for the real thing, for longer than planned when the president has a stroke. Poignant Comedy.




Big
Penny Marshall- Tom Hanks, Elizabeth Perkins, John Heard, Robert Loggia
An underdeveloped boy, ashamed of his size, makes a wish on a spooky carnival fortune teller machine to be bigger and wakes up the next day a full grown man, with a 13 year olds mind. Comedy




Seabiscuit
Gary Ross- Toby Maguire, Jeff Bridges, Chris Cooper, Elizabeth Banks
Set in the great depression, three men decide to retrain and race a small, underappreciated, race horse who becomes one of the greatest thoroughbreds ever, and a symbol of perseverance for the struggling people of 1930's America. Drama

I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3228 posts
493 upvotes
idiotcanuck wrote: Dave
Ivan Reitman- Kevin Kline, Sigourney Weaver, Frank Langella, Ben Kinglsley
The owner of a temp agency who moonlights as a presidential look alike, is asked to double for the real thing, for longer than planned when the president has a stroke. Poignant Comedy.
I like this one as well. Kevin Kline plays this kind of role so well, silly but also kind and genuine. It’s a really likeable movie that stands the test of time and has the kind of feel-good story where most politicians are smart and actually care about the people. Your recommendation of it reminded me of The American President, which has a lot of those attributes as well:



I love this one because it’s basically a nascent The West Wing. Sorkin getting his feet wet writing erudite politicians, walk and talks, witty rejoinders, and even using some of the same actors that will eventually be on the show. The big speech the president gives at the end is pure Jed Bartlet. The love story I can take or leave, but the White House parts make me rewatch this whenever I stumble upon it.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 3, 2009
10386 posts
4698 upvotes
Toronto
jerrysiz wrote: I like this one as well. Kevin Kline plays this kind of role so well, silly but also kind and genuine. It’s a really likeable movie that stands the test of time and has the kind of feel-good story where most politicians are smart and actually care about the people. Your recommendation of it reminded me of The American President, which has a lot of those attributes as well:



I love this one because it’s basically a nascent The West Wing. Sorkin getting his feet wet writing erudite politicians, walk and talks, witty rejoinders, and even using some of the same actors that will eventually be on the show. The big speech the president gives at the end is pure Jed Bartlet. The love story I can take or leave, but the White House parts make me rewatch this whenever I stumble upon it.
Another good film with a fairly realistic look at modern politics. With Aaron Sorkins trademark snappy dialog. Damm now I am going to have to rewatch The West Wing thanks to you.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1432 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
newt_101 wrote: Parasite



This is one of the best (if not THE best) movies of the year.

Don't want to say much in terms of spoilers, but it's a sort of comedy-drama-thriller about social classes, family, and hierarchies.
The dynamics of the family, cinematography, revelations after revelations, and solid characters kept me glued to the screen. I found myself saying 'this is so good!' repeatedly out loud.
So very highly recommended and Bong Joon Ho's (Snowpiercer, Memories of Murder, Mother) best film yet.
best movie of 2019 imo.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3228 posts
493 upvotes
idiotcanuck wrote: Another good film with a fairly realistic look at modern politics. With Aaron Sorkins trademark snappy dialog. Damm now I am going to have to rewatch The West Wing thanks to you.
Damn, I wish this was still a reflection of modern politics. If someone had made a movie back then that was a realistic look at today’s politics it probably would have been more in the genre of farcical comedy or satire. What’s happening today you just can’t make up.

You’re welcome for making you have to rewatch The West Wing. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes I’ve done that several times myself. It’s right up there with The Knick and The Wire as best drama series of all time for me.

And for other, more recent, Sorkin movies with great dialogue, I feel that Molly’s Game never really got the respect it deserved. The back and forth dialogue between Jessica Chastain and Idris Elba is incredible. Great writing and acting in this one.

Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 3, 2009
10386 posts
4698 upvotes
Toronto
jerrysiz wrote: Damn, I wish this was still a reflection of modern politics. If someone had made a movie back then that was a realistic look at today’s politics it probably would have been more in the genre of farcical comedy or satire. What’s happening today you just can’t make up.

You’re welcome for making you have to rewatch The West Wing. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes I’ve done that several times myself. It’s right up there with The Knick and The Wire as best drama series of all time for me.

And for other, more recent, Sorkin movies with great dialogue, I feel that Molly’s Game never really got the respect it deserved. The back and forth dialogue between Jessica Chastain and Idris Elba is incredible. Great writing and acting in this one.

I agree, I don't think Molly's Game really got the attention it deserved, from the public or the awards organizations last year.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7935 posts
4548 upvotes
Toronto
jerrysiz wrote: And for other, more recent, Sorkin movies with great dialogue, I feel that Molly’s Game never really got the respect it deserved. The back and forth dialogue between Jessica Chastain and Idris Elba is incredible. Great writing and acting in this one.
idiotcanuck wrote: I agree, I don't think Molly's Game really got the attention it deserved, from the public or the awards organizations last year.
Agreed that Molly's Game is great but there are many other examples of equally as good if not better films that get overlooked by the public and awards just the same. This type of film is never on the radar of people who only follow box office blockbusters and award nominations were absolutely stacked last year. The same argument you're making for Molly's Game being overlooked could also be made for films like Sorry To Bother You, Burning, Hereditary, Searching, Eighth Grade and others I'm probably forgetting
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 3, 2009
10386 posts
4698 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: Agreed that Molly's Game is great but there are many other examples of equally as good if not better films that get overlooked by the public and awards just the same. This type of film is never on the radar of people who only follow box office blockbusters and award nominations were absolutely stacked last year. The same argument you're making for Molly's Game being overlooked could also be made for films like Sorry To Bother You, Burning, Hereditary, Searching, Eighth Grade and others I'm probably forgetting
Completely agree. There are great films completely ignored by the awards orgs. and the public in general.
Popularity and promotion money/lobbying are still major factors in awards season, unfortunately.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3228 posts
493 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: Agreed that Molly's Game is great but there are many other examples of equally as good if not better films that get overlooked by the public and awards just the same. This type of film is never on the radar of people who only follow box office blockbusters and award nominations were absolutely stacked last year. The same argument you're making for Molly's Game being overlooked could also be made for films like Sorry To Bother You, Burning, Hereditary, Searching, Eighth Grade and others I'm probably forgetting
We were talking about Aaron Sorkin films, so we weren’t listing all the other films that we thought were under-acknowledged, but I agree, those were all very good, especially Sorry To Bother You, which was probably the most interesting and original film I saw last year. I’d probably add Can You Ever Forgive Me and Leave No Trace to the list of under-acknowledged films from last year as well. Thomasin McKenzie was particularly impressive in the latter, I predict big things from her in the future.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)