Entertainment

What was the last *undecided* movie you saw?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2020 4:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14125 posts
3927 upvotes
Montréal

What was the last *undecided* movie you saw?

We've see the 'last good/bad movie' threads and I decided to start this one for movies that you are on the fence about. For me, I think Midsommar is an appropriate one, having seen how extreme the reviews are, some are saying it's a top horror film and others are saying it's worse than watching paint dry.

*spoilers*

I don't even consider this a horror as I expect some supernatural aspect, it's more a thriller to me. I appreciate a slow-burn if the ending pays off but many things were very predictable and there weren't any real surprises. On top of that, many of the characters weren't really likeable so I didn't care if they got killed, not to mention how stupid they are when the first thing that didn't seem right happened and they still stayed there so they can research this freak cult village thing?? Really, self-preservation is not high on the list compared to what awesome grade you may get for your thesis...if they even let you get out alive lol.

The build-up was great and I guess the cinematography is pretty (not that the latter influences me as to the plot) but the story could have been told in much, much shorter time, it's crazy that it's almost 3 hours just to draw out things...to me, that's artificially-created tension.

Overall, it's watchable but just barely imho.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
11 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10019 posts
2441 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'd say the last trilogy of starwars, the entire dceu universe, and many star trek films fit that bill.

One could argue any film which includes a huge budget, or alot of well executed special effects or big name actors. If you pair it with poor scripts,poorly edited/directed and casted wrong. They survive on that fence as "undecided" as they did offer some entertainment value to some people.

However its entirely due to marketing and an audiences preconceived ideas around it before they went and watched it.They survive like any ride at any amusement park because its better than no ride at all and feeds its fanatic base.

I mean maybe the thread should be what movie did bad but was actually very good.
2 off the top of my head had Val Kilmer in it. Spartan,Kiss kiss bang bang

Both very good flicks

The most infamous is Slapshot. The only movie Siskel and Ebert both gave thumbs down and later gave thumbs up!

I should add that arguably Kurt Russel holds the title for most poorly reviewed movies that became cult classics.
Last edited by lead on Nov 24th, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4538 posts
1450 upvotes
Toronto
I just saw Bill & Ted Face the Music, and that's one of those movies that I'm undecided about. As a Bill & Ted movie, it's in line with the others. Does that make it a good movie? Not really - it wasn't even as entertaining as the previous ones IMO. But critics loved it, its Tomatometer rating is surprisingly high, and I have no idea how to classify it. In the context of any other big budget comedy movie made in 2020, it's not very good, with poor performances, poor pacing, cringey dialogue and a very unsatisfying story arc. But it fits in the Bill & Ted ethos so it succeeds in that, and so I guess that's the standard it's being judged on?

To OP's example, I actually liked Midsommar. Yes it was predictable, but I guess relativity and context are important, and when compared to other psychological horror type movies, it was interesting and different.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2931 posts
3046 upvotes
GTA
The last one I remember watching that fit the ball was Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.
I like many of Luc Besson's films and heard this one was a bomb. I was still intrigued since it was based on a very stylish comic, was sci-fi, and the trailers were enough to convince me it was worth a watch.
I finished the whole movie and wasn't really impressed or disappointed. There were some good moments, and some annoying ones. There was too much green screen and CGI, but that's a systemic issue with almost all Hollywood action movies nowadays.
I think there was a quirky but likeable movie in there (like The Fifth Element), and I see where it could have ended up being more memorable during a few parts. In the end I wasn't angry for having watched it, but it was definitely lacking.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1516 posts
457 upvotes
Might get a little flack for it but Parasite kind of left me so-so in the end. I know it got praise for its originality but I could almost see start to finish how the movie would play out. It looked great and well acted, but I wasn’t wowed like critics were. Plus I would of given my vote to a JoJo Rabbit for best picture
[external link removed]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21392 posts
2625 upvotes
Toronto
definitely the newer Star Wars - starting from The Phantom Menace (which had a great light sabre fight scene)..... I haven't even watched The Last Jedi

I loved Iron Man - the other sequels not so much....

I have to think a bit more - probably have a few more on my list.....

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11710 posts
6627 upvotes
Markham
Invader Gir wrote: Might get a little flack for it but Parasite kind of left me so-so in the end. I know it got praise for its originality but I could almost see start to finish how the movie would play out. It looked great and well acted, but I wasn’t wowed like critics were. Plus I would of given my vote to a JoJo Rabbit for best picture
You saw how Parasite was going to "play out" ?!?! Really?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3556 posts
1527 upvotes
Even though his beef isn't with the Oscars or "Parasite" winning best picture and other categories. Just ask The Weeknd what he thinks of awards and awards shows. LOL

[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14125 posts
3927 upvotes
Montréal
gr8dlr wrote: You saw how Parasite was going to "play out" ?!?! Really?
Haha, I wasn't gonna say anything but that raised my eyebrows too. Must be RFD's very own Nostradamus lolFace With Tears Of Joy
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1516 posts
457 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: You saw how Parasite was going to "play out" ?!?! Really?
Sadly I did. I have always been a film buff and sometimes over analyze things (especially character names) I also blame/thank my media english high school in doing so and making us watch/analyze The Cable Guy movie. So little things sometimes will stick out like sore thumb. Plus they had a collector steelbook of the movie with a cockroach on the cover and that also tells you a fair bit of what to expect.

Same thing with The Sixth Sense with Bruce Willis. With his name Michael Crowe and kid Cole Sear and I saw it as the legend of The Crow and bringing back the dead to help right a wrong. His first name is Michael and also think of the Archangel Michael. Cole Sear pretty much says it it there, it gets Cold/they are cold when he sees dead people. You have Unbreakable and with David Dunn and Elijah Price/Mr. Glass. Elijah said slow sounds like Here Lies Ya Price, Mr Glass. David D One (breaking down his last name) So the price of all of his acts of violence finally leads him to the one he was looking for. You know, shit like that.
[external link removed]
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14125 posts
3927 upvotes
Montréal
Let Him Go

***spoilers***

I guess marginally good but some of the characters were too annoying and the end fight scene was too unreal, where did the last son go (maybe dead along the stairway? not clear), and then the evil matriarch pulls a disappearing act? only to show up to shoot Costner in the shoulder but then it moves to the heart area? yells "why?" giving Diane Lane (bit annoying w her illogical idealism) crazy time to kill her? Not to mention the annoying as hell daughter-in-law going from the good dead husband to an abuser+psycho family. Did the freak family really expect an ex-lawman to take that hatchet episode sitting down? Wish the corrupt sheriff got shot too.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14125 posts
3927 upvotes
Montréal
Tenet, esp considering all the hoopla. I guess Nolan is trying to be the next David Lynch. Man, talk about not following the KISS principle.