Shopping Discussion

What level of education and technical skills are required for a store manager at Canadian Tire ?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2021 3:04 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON

What level of education and technical skills are required for a store manager at Canadian Tire ?

It took me 30minutes today to convince 5 people, all the way up to the store manager that
if the order says I odered a fitting that is1/2"x3/4" and the website says the same,
you can not pretend that you gave me the right item when on the package it says it is 3/4" x 3/4".

Their reasoning: " We gave you the order with that right Canadian Tire code"

Apparently the website was listing the 1/2x3/4 item with the product code for 3/4x3/4
Their internal system was showing for that code an item titled 3/4x3/4 but the description
had 1/2x3/4 and they said it was the right item and it fits what I need

I get it that there could be errors in the system but it is unacceptable that even the store manager
did not understand that a fitting that is 3/4" at both ends can't be used on a 1/2" pipe just because
the description in their system was saying so.

Only physical evidences convinced them that they were wrong, it was one of those kindergarten
explanations, I had to put side by side a similar item that I bought from Lowes and only then
they understood what I was telling them. Basic logic like "the description on the product
does not match what I ordered and what is in the order confirmation email" did not work.

I know that the CT employees are not stellar (the people who are supposed to help
the customers in the store) but you would expect at least basic things from a store manager.
I never imagined that the level is so low. It seems that I had the wrong expectations
Last edited by CuriousC on Apr 24th, 2021 8:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lots of crazy 💡
28 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
5110 posts
2889 upvotes
just ask them to look up the correct code for the one you want.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON
They did not want to do anything, I asked them to go to the shelf and check there. They kept repeating that that is the product for that code
Lots of crazy 💡
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5867 posts
1192 upvotes
Toronto
And that listing error might not have got a ticket logged for the data integrity team to fix it...lol.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14467 posts
8675 upvotes
Toronto
It’s CT, that’s the norm
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10242 posts
5328 upvotes
Markham
This is just a mistake.

No need connect it to education, IQ or whatever. Just look at some traders and their poor judgment and they graduated from Ivy Leagues Universities and earn millions

Might be all smartest person are RFDers
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON
smartie wrote: This is just a mistake.

No need connect it to education, IQ or whatever. Just look at some traders and their poor judgment and they graduated from Ivy Leagues Universities and earn millions

Might be all smartest person are RFDers
Yeah sure.
Lots of crazy 💡
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1738 posts
1183 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I'm very surprised you assume they know what the part is, what measurements are in inches and much else, to be honest.

When I go into a big box store (or used to before the pandemic), finding an employee fluent in English is quite rare.

I haven't had any problems with CT, but I can see why they'd have problems understanding you other than saying, "I want to return this" and go through the return process. I doubt any of the minimum wage staff or above cares that their system is wrong.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON
Gibsons wrote: I'm very surprised you assume they know what the part is, what measurements are in inches and much else, to be honest.

When I go into a big box store (or used to before the pandemic), finding an employee fluent in English is quite rare.

I haven't had any problems with CT, but I can see why they'd have problems understanding you other than saying, "I want to return this" and go through the return process. I doubt any of the minimum wage staff or above cares that their system is wrong.
Is the store manager a minimum wage employee?
Lots of crazy 💡
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1920 posts
1425 upvotes
GTA West
Stores today carry 10's of thousands of items and prices are kept low by using low wage workers. Don't expect them to be trained to know the ins and outs of every product. Canada Tire is a "do it yourself" store, and put the emphasis on YOURSELF to know what you want. With today's return policies it is easy to get your money back and move on.

If you want knowledgeable workers, go to trade suppliers like Rexel. You will sometimes get lucky at Home Depot and find a retired tradesman staffing the plumbing aisle. But if you find some kid working at CanTire, don't get mad because he doesn't know everything.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Stores today carry 10's of thousands of items and prices are kept low by using low wage workers. Don't expect them to be trained to know the ins and outs of every product. Canada Tire is a "do it yourself" store, and put the emphasis on YOURSELF to know what you want. With today's return policies it is easy to get your money back and move on.

If you want knowledgeable workers, go to trade suppliers like Rexel. You will sometimes get lucky at Home Depot and find a retired tradesman staffing the plumbing aisle. But if you find some kid working at CanTire, don't get mad because he doesn't know everything.
My friend all I am asking that employee is to grab from the shelf something that has 1/2x3/4 written on it
If my order says 1/2x3/4 and you are giving me a product that has 3/4x3/4 written on it, I am also asking you that to understand that you have given me the wrong product.

I know you need a degree or 4 years of training (primary school) for this but I am still asking for it, sorry if I probably look old school

PS: I must admit but it might be too much for a store manager
Lots of crazy 💡
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3365 posts
2886 upvotes
Toronto
You can tell who a bully is even on the Internet.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON
WMPCOT wrote: You can tell who a bully is even on the Internet.
Agree ..other things are obvious too :-))
Lots of crazy 💡
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1738 posts
1183 upvotes
Southern Ontario
CuriousC wrote: Is the store manager a minimum wage employee?
No.

But that's why I posted "minimum wage and above".

But around here, all the regular grunts are at minimum wage and Part Time, with no possibility of Full Time unless you go to management.

Your expectations of a Manager to know a specific part and/or measurement is still asking a lot of a big box store. I'm sure at Home Depot/Lowes some employees would know.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON
Nope my only expectation was common sense logic
Lots of crazy 💡
Dec 11, 2011
342 posts
410 upvotes
CALEDON
Now tell us your expectations vs reality about our Prime Minister and Premier. Do they stack up to your educational and intellectual requirements?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON
sik20fan wrote: Now tell us your expectations vs reality about our Prime Minister and Premier. Do they stack up to your educational and intellectual requirements?
sure
Lots of crazy 💡
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4251 posts
2152 upvotes
1/2 x 3/4 ... thought we were a metric country? No wonder everybody is confused.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON
Yeah no kidding ...you need to go through university again
Lots of crazy 💡