Personal Finance

What are the lowest fee Prepaid Credit Cards in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2020 2:39 am
[OP]
Dec 13, 2016
198 posts
81 upvotes

What are the lowest fee Prepaid Credit Cards in Canada?

I'm on the lookout for some prepaid credit cards, and I'm curious what others are using out there and what might be the cheapest options? The fees seem to range wildly depending on what/where you're buying it

Ideally looking for something I can buy at the store, doesn't have to be re-loadable necessarily.

Thanks in advance!
21 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1569 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
The best deal is probably the Stack Prepaid Mastercard. You can load it via Interac for free. If you use an online referral, you can get $20 to start - so yeah, they pay you $20 to get it.

I don't think you can find it in stores but you can order a free card online. They have a rotating list of deals although they're usually pretty small deals, like get $1 off if you spend $10 in gas. It has no FX so you save money buying things in foreign currency, and you can withdraw funds from ATMs for free (although the ATM itself may charge a fee).
How I try to save money: Zoomer Wireless $36 4GB LTE / Teksavvy rCable $64 100 / Freephoneline $0 / No TV! / Flipp
How I try to make money: Stack Mastercard / Amex Biz Plat & Cobalt / GCR / Rakuten / Plastiq / Paymi
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9321 posts
10881 upvotes
Vancouver
Anything you get at the grocery store is going to come with activation fees ($4-$10), and anything reloadable from the grocery store is going to have monthly fees (~$5) on top of that.

+1 for Stack. There's also Koho which is similar. No fees to get, keep, or spend with.

That said, I have drained the balances of all of my prepaid cards and put them all away in a drawer. In this economic climate I don't trust any of these companies to not go bankrupt and take any balance on the card with them. Remember that balances on these cards are not protected by CDIC or provincial deposit insurance.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3324 posts
1848 upvotes
r2edline wrote: I'm on the lookout for some prepaid credit cards, and I'm curious what others are using out there and what might be the cheapest options? The fees seem to range wildly depending on what/where you're buying it

Ideally looking for something I can buy at the store, doesn't have to be re-loadable necessarily.

Thanks in advance!
If you are looking for the lowest % of fee, then it is the Onevanilla prepaid M/C from 7-11 stores. The fee is $7.95 + taxes. The max load value is $500 each card. So it is less than 2% for $500.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1511 posts
1097 upvotes
Toronto
Also Revolut for withdrawing money from foreign ATMs and foreign currency shopping and transferring money to foreign bank accounts. It's not convenient for large amounts of money however, due to account being frozen or extra possible fees for large transactions. It'll also be good for peer to peer transfers once it's out of beta. Its still in beta in Canada so there's a waiting list to get one.
Jul 18, 2017
6 posts
Vancouver
Kiraly wrote: Anything you get at the grocery store is going to come with activation fees ($4-$10), and anything reloadable from the grocery store is going to have monthly fees (~$5) on top of that.

+1 for Stack. There's also Koho which is similar. No fees to get, keep, or spend with.

That said, I have drained the balances of all of my prepaid cards and put them all away in a drawer. In this economic climate I don't trust any of these companies to not go bankrupt and take any balance on the card with them. Remember that balances on these cards are not protected by CDIC or provincial deposit insurance.
KOHO is partnered with Peoples Trust. If KOHO goes down, Peoples Trust (which is CDIC insured) returns the funds. https://help.koho.ca/en/articles/298669 ... ic-insured

I still understand being wary though. I love KOHO and use Stack as well. I use Koho for targeted spending; if I'm going out for food, drinks, or purchasing something. I'm not totally set on having my payroll deposited onto it, and I'm lucky that Scotiabank gave me their top chequing package for free.

I love the cashback feature. I use Stack for subscriptions (Spotify, Amazon, etc) and my own credit card for things like gas and phone bill.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5340 posts
1636 upvotes
Toronto
How are Stack and Koho different?

Do both Stack and Koho only give you a single credit card number that never changes? It's not like a VCC where you can generate one, delete it, generate another right? Or even have 5 active numbers at a time right?

What is the absolute cheapest prepaid card, not percentage wise, but the absolute lowest activation fee and lowest load amount? (other than stack and koho that is)

Also, any promos for stack and koho now? Should i wait for a better promo? (i remember stack gave 1 year Netflix previously)
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2017
1177 posts
682 upvotes
Toronto, ON
fightbriz wrote: How are Stack and Koho different?

Do both Stack and Koho only give you a single credit card number that never changes? It's not like a VCC where you can generate one, delete it, generate another right? Or even have 5 active numbers at a time right?

What is the absolute cheapest prepaid card, not percentage wise, but the absolute lowest activation fee and lowest load amount? (other than stack and koho that is)

Also, any promos for stack and koho now? Should i wait for a better promo? (i remember stack gave 1 year Netflix previously)
KOHO is a VISA product.
Stack is a MASTERCARD product.

they are both re-loadable credit cards with the spending limit set to the amount you have loaded on them.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5340 posts
1636 upvotes
Toronto
905P4N6 wrote: KOHO is a VISA product.
Stack is a MASTERCARD product.

they are both re-loadable credit cards with the spending limit set to the amount you have loaded on them.
But they only offer you a single credit card number right? Like you can't create multiple cc numbers right?
Feb 18, 2019
440 posts
478 upvotes
fightbriz wrote: But they only offer you a single credit card number right? Like you can't create multiple cc numbers right?
Both Stack and Koho will give you 1 virtual card number, on top of your physical card number.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2007
5304 posts
632 upvotes
Winnipeg
can someone give me a few reasons why I should keep my stack card?
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25054 posts
4249 upvotes
faken wrote: can someone give me a few reasons why I should keep my stack card?
It's free
You don't benefit in any way by closing it as opposed to stashing it in a drawer
No FX fees
They offer discounts on various items regularly (although small, they're still discounts)
If you don't fully trust something you're signing up for, use a pre-paid card like Stack so there's no risk (leave only a few dollars on it).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2007
5304 posts
632 upvotes
Winnipeg
Shaner wrote: It's free
You don't benefit in any way by closing it as opposed to stashing it in a drawer
No FX fees
They offer discounts on various items regularly (although small, they're still discounts)
If you don't fully trust something you're signing up for, use a pre-paid card like Stack so there's no risk (leave only a few dollars on it).
oh there's discounts?

thank you so much!
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Jan 12, 2011
52 posts
17 upvotes
what is the lowest fee (%) prepaid credit card in Canada that can be bought with cash?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1511 posts
1097 upvotes
Toronto
kailjm wrote: KOHO is partnered with Peoples Trust. If KOHO goes down, Peoples Trust (which is CDIC insured) returns the funds. https://help.koho.ca/en/articles/298669 ... ic-insured

I still understand being wary though. I love KOHO and use Stack as well. I use Koho for targeted spending; if I'm going out for food, drinks, or purchasing something. I'm not totally set on having my payroll deposited onto it, and I'm lucky that Scotiabank gave me their top chequing package for free.

I love the cashback feature. I use Stack for subscriptions (Spotify, Amazon, etc) and my own credit card for things like gas and phone bill.
Same situation with Stack which is also partnered with Peoples Trust.

Stack Guarantee Link

Is STACK covered by CDIC?
STACK accounts aren't deposit products and so aren't covered by the Canadian Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC). However, because the funds loaded are held by Peoples Trust, a regulated financial institution with $7B in assets, cardholders are protected if STACK ceases operations. If STACK were to fail, all funds are returned to cardholders by law. It should also be noted that Peoples Trust holds the funds, and STACK builds the technology and experience to manage and spend it.

Additionally, we take the security and integrity of our business very seriously, and through our partnership with Mastercard, we also offer Zero Liability to our cardholders, so you are covered for any fraud or other unauthorized purchases made with STACK.
Last edited by Bull Dog on May 16th, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)