Shopping Discussion

What are the main benefits of paying through Paypal?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2021 9:57 am
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
3150 posts
7726 upvotes
Ontario

What are the main benefits of paying through Paypal?

I got a Paypal account many years ago. I used it for most of my online orders, but somewhere along the way stopped using it. I often see people talking about paying through Paypal for the added protection when it comes to returns.

When Paypal is a payment option, is it usually the best way to make a payment?
Do you lose the ability to use things like GCR or Rakuten?
Are there credit cards that usually have better safeguards built in?
Are there not-obvious downsides to using Paypal?

I'd like to figure out if it's been a mistake to stop using Paypal... Thanks.
32 replies
Jul 12, 2019
234 posts
905 upvotes
The main benefit for me is that I don't need to enter my credit card number on the merchant's website, which is probably not as secure as Paypal's website (depends on the merchant of course).
I also like Paypal's "One Touch" option. Makes it super quick to pay.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
3958 posts
5641 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I ordered a part from rock auto once and they refused to give me my money back for an undelivered item, they said because i wasn't home the carrier took the package back to them. So they said it was my fault and it would cost more than the item to redeliver and basically told me to eff off. Ringed up paypal and got a dispute going easily in my favor and eventually got my money back.

If i hadn't of used paypal i would of been robbed..
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1263 posts
803 upvotes
Toronto
A lot less frustration. A lot of websites will reject payments for whatever reason, but I know it will go through with Paypal, so I kinda default to Paypal whenever it's an option.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3948 posts
1380 upvotes
Vancouver
I use paypal for them covering the cost of return shipping, if I'm buying from a site that might not offer free mail/instore returns. You activate the service before buying and if you need to return, you just generate your own shipping label, submit the receipt and they'll credit you the shipping amount. I think they cover up to $30 in return shipping.

I've used it a couple times and it's been easy and quick. Worth it IMO.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3047 posts
2146 upvotes
Ive been on Paypal since 2003

Nowadays: already mentioned above

Personally: if the vendor has a CC options off the bat I will use my CC directly.

Reason being is if ever I needed to dispute/return something and I used PP, the process can get complicated. Retailers would usually point to PP for the refund whereas if you used a CC directly the refund will come from the vendor and processing will be faster.

I only use it when the vendor absolutely requires PP for payments, or if I left any $ in there and would like to spend it
Dec 28, 2010
650 posts
298 upvotes
I like to stay away from PayPal as far as I can.
And you know, it's probably not Paypal itself, but the people who use Paypal to scam you. Either way, it's not for me.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1152 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto
blackbirdman wrote: I ordered a part from rock auto once and they refused to give me my money back for an undelivered item, they said because i wasn't home the carrier took the package back to them. So they said it was my fault and it would cost more than the item to redeliver and basically told me to eff off. Ringed up paypal and got a dispute going easily in my favor and eventually got my money back.

If i hadn't of used paypal i would of been robbed..
Would it not be possible via credit card
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
3958 posts
5641 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ranjeet2000 wrote: Would it not be possible via credit card
I don't know if i would of won with my cc company. Pp was easy to do it with. I just like paypal cause i also don't trust sites with my cc and debit card info
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
i always pay with paypal given the choice.

things it does for u

gives u 2 ways to dispute if u have a problem u can dispute with paypal and your cc if paypal don't work out.
if the store u buy from gets hacked ur cc is not on file with the store just your paypal email so less chance someone gets it
if u need to return something and the place ur returning to dont offer a pre paid label then paypal will cover return shipping cost upto $30 cad 12 times each year.
no u don't lose cash back i use paypal with gcr all the time and it works fine.

the only downsides with paypal are all towards the seller rather then the buyer such as paypal will let u dispute stuff upto 180 days so that gives u like 6 months that u could open a not as described claim on something and the seller would be forced to take a return on it. paypal almost always sides with buyers over sellers.
Sep 16, 2015
792 posts
1605 upvotes
Calgary, AB
RichardStroker wrote: The main benefit for me is that I don't need to enter my credit card number on the merchant's website, which is probably not as secure as Paypal's website (depends on the merchant of course).
I also like Paypal's "One Touch" option. Makes it super quick to pay.
My company uses Shopify for online transaction processing. They allow PayPal, Apple Pay and Google Pay. The majority of customers choose PayPal, simply because they don't have to reenter information. It's a double-edged sword: PayPal releases the money to the retailer immediately (which helps small business with cash flow), whereas credit card transactions take 3-4 business days to clear into our bank account.

That said, PayPal is really nasty to retailers. If a customer files a claim because a package is delayed in the mail, PayPal will remove the money from our account immediately until the issue is resolved to their satisfaction. That has happened to us several times over the past six months because people can't wrap their head around the challenges of shipping during a pandemic. Follow-up wastes our time and there's no guarantee that PayPal won't close the claim on us -- even when there's clear tracking information showing a shipment is in the Canada Post system.
Apr 3, 2012
11 posts
20 upvotes
Nirvana
I ordered some items during black Friday and the seller didn't even bother sending them. I sent multiple emails and they would not respond. My credit card company requires me to fill in a form and mail it with other documents. Can't do a charge back online or over the phone.

When I realized I paid through Paypal I started a dispute, Paypal contacted the seller with my dispute. They sent the item the very same day. It's funny how they ignored all my emails but responded so fast to PayPal.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
jaybeeg wrote: My company uses Shopify for online transaction processing. They allow PayPal, Apple Pay and Google Pay. The majority of customers choose PayPal, simply because they don't have to reenter information. It's a double-edged sword: PayPal releases the money to the retailer immediately (which helps small business with cash flow), whereas credit card transactions take 3-4 business days to clear into our bank account.

That said, PayPal is really nasty to retailers. If a customer files a claim because a package is delayed in the mail, PayPal will remove the money from our account immediately until the issue is resolved to their satisfaction. That has happened to us several times over the past six months because people can't wrap their head around the challenges of shipping during a pandemic. Follow-up wastes our time and there's no guarantee that PayPal won't close the claim on us -- even when there's clear tracking information showing a shipment is in the Canada Post system.
don't use canada post then them and puroaltor have been the 2 worst companies since covid started when it comes to on time delivery. ups has been on time or with in 1 day of normal fedex is on time almost everytime. check out netparcel netparcel-shipping-rates-45-60-off-2296241/ they provide discounted ups labels within canada the prices are on par or cheaper then canada post with the standard venture one discount and to the us prices are actually quite a bit cheaper.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
masche wrote: I ordered some items during black Friday and the seller didn't even bother sending them. I sent multiple emails and they would not respond. My credit card company requires me to fill in a form and mail it with other documents. Can't do a charge back online or over the phone.

When I realized I paid through Paypal I started a dispute, Paypal contacted the seller with my dispute. They sent the item the very same day. It's funny how they ignored all my emails but responded so fast to PayPal.
id get a dif cc company then. I've done disputes with a few company's both with visas and mastercards i've never heard of one asking me to mail anything in they all have started the process over the phone and if they want any paper work they provide u an email address and ask u to email it in never been asked for the original copy to be mailed. id suggest a home trust visa or brim mastercard there nice to have since if u order stuff from outside canada they waive the 2.5% fee for converting money to cad
Sep 16, 2015
792 posts
1605 upvotes
Calgary, AB
aaron158 wrote: check out netparcel netparcel-shipping-rates-45-60-off-2296241/ they provide discounted ups labels within canada the prices are on par or cheaper then canada post with the standard venture one discount and to the us prices are actually quite a bit cheaper.
Thanks! We will look into Netparcel for Canadian shipments. We have a less expensive option to ship to the USA.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2012
1073 posts
229 upvotes
litebrite wrote: I use paypal for them covering the cost of return shipping, if I'm buying from a site that might not offer free mail/instore returns. You activate the service before buying and if you need to return, you just generate your own shipping label, submit the receipt and they'll credit you the shipping amount. I think they cover up to $30 in return shipping.

I didn't know the benefit before until now that you mentioned. Wondering how it works? Do I need to activate the service every time when making a purchase? How to activate it? Thanks for the advice:)
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3948 posts
1380 upvotes
Vancouver
Dealfinder111 wrote: I didn't know the benefit before until now that you mentioned. Wondering how it works? Do I need to activate the service every time when making a purchase? How to activate it? Thanks for the advice:)
Try this link (you might need to copy and paste into your browser in case the rfd linking breaks it): https://www.paypal.com/ca/for-you/shop/refunded-returns

You just activate once for your whole account and you're good to go.

If you need to return, you ship the item back first and then in the transaction in your paypal history and there's a link to submit a request for a shipping refund where you submit your shipping receipt/proof of return. The site provides more details on what you need to include.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
I loathe PayPal and will only use it if there is no other option. That being said, I would never again use it drawing cash from my bank account. I always use my VISA in case a dispute needs to be filed because PayPal's dispute resolution is terrible. Absolutely terrible.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6413 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
Thanks @Skilas for your thread! and @litebrite for posting link to free shipping, good to know and activated on my PP account.

For those interested in meeting minimum spend for their Amex card, many like to use PaySimply via PayPal, even with the 2.5% fees:

paysimply-paymentus-kubra-cc-payment-pr ... s-2376044/

Advantages of using PayPal (for you too @choclover):

#1 Many prefer to use PayPal for security of Credit Card vs entering on individual sites, and saves time
#2 Bill Payments' Transaction Record in one place (PayPal) for all, as users do not have PaySimply online accounts

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
litebrite wrote: I use paypal for them covering the cost of return shipping, if I'm buying from a site that might not offer free mail/instore returns. You activate the service before buying and if you need to return, you just generate your own shipping label, submit the receipt and they'll credit you the shipping amount. I think they cover up to $30 in return shipping.

I need to thank you for this tooSmiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Just tried it yesterday for the first time on a shoe company return since they do not offer free return shipping

Uploaded my receipt and got approved this morning! Awesome Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Btw you can apply return shipping up to 3 times on a particular paypal transaction
<inappropriate signature>

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)