Automotive

What makes a good auto service center stand out from the others?

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2015 4:21 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1124 posts
209 upvotes
YYZ

What makes a good auto service center stand out from the others?

Guys,

I was wondering what do you guys would like to see in an auto service center like CT or mom and pop shop and make you feel welcome and comfortable .. other than the basics .. but what would you want to see in those places in order to keep you as a customer and a regular as well ..
23 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32080 posts
19297 upvotes
Toronto
for CT, 1st proposed change is stop using 'monkeys' as mechanics. some of them don't even have a clue on what they are doing.

There are way too many nightmare stories being told in this forum already and yet people are still going there ...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1124 posts
209 upvotes
YYZ
what should CT do in order to bring customers back to them .. last time I heard that they are falling behind .. I never take my car there because of all the stories but I was wondering what could they do to win us back
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2628 posts
515 upvotes
Manitoba
bas00m wrote: Guys,

I was wondering what do you guys would like to see in an auto service center like CT or mom and pop shop and make you feel welcome and comfortable .. other than the basics .. but what would you want to see in those places in order to keep you as a customer and a regular as well ..
What auto service centers. Lol about Mr lube at walmart . i was anyways going to do my break service myself but
i had some spare time so while shopping at walmart, I just walked in Mr lube and asked them how much they charge for break service. He said they dont touch anything that belongs to breaks. I did however hear them telling another guy that they will chrage 75 dollars to change the battery on his Honda. Lol.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2628 posts
515 upvotes
Manitoba
bas00m wrote: what should CT do in order to bring customers back to them .. last time I heard that they are falling behind .. I never take my car there because of all the stories but I was wondering what could they do to win us back
Are you CT CEO in disguise?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1124 posts
209 upvotes
YYZ
Asker123 wrote: Are you CT CEO in disguise?
no no .. lol

I am not taking sides with CT or anyone .. it is just because booblehead mentioned CT and I remembered that a lot of ppl hate CT so I thought what can they do to make us go back to them .. an open discussion ..

for me for example no matter what Rogers do when it comes to wireless I will never go back to them .. just internet from Rogers for me .. no tv or anything else from them ..
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8620 posts
5549 upvotes
Mississauga
Fix cars correctly and stop padding customers' invoices with dubious, unnecessary work. That would help bring people back to CT.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1124 posts
209 upvotes
YYZ
Isn't all CT stores independently owned .. so how can all of them have "monkey" mechanics?!

all the mechanics whether at CT or WM or Meineke or even at dealers are certified .. so why are they different than the others .. I never take my car to any big name places .. I just go to my local mechanic who owns his own shop .. so I haven't really stepped a foot for any repairs at any places mentioned or similar ones ..
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1147 posts
530 upvotes
York Region
To please rfd, $10 front and rear brake rotors and pads along with free oil change and $5 for tire swap.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7511 posts
3685 upvotes
Canuckland
Honesty and reasonable prices.

Many stealerships and shops try to rip people off, just turn on the news
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2252 posts
749 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
According to rfd, any mechanic or a shop that charges them anything is ripping them off.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2244 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
If they have a sexy receptionist. They make you feel happy in the pants then they rape your wallet.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1124 posts
209 upvotes
YYZ
lol .. but seriously guys .. what can bigger stores like CTC or meineke or midas do to win customers over mom and pop shops
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2252 posts
749 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
bas00m wrote: lol .. but seriously guys .. what can bigger stores like CTC or meineke or midas do to win customers over mom and pop shops
They can start by not doing unnecessary repairs and scamming people out of their money. My father in law had his front breaks and calipers changed for no reason there when he stopped by to do a tire change, they refused to give him the car. It's a newer huyndai and I had it on the hoist 3 weeks before (for an oil change) and nothing was wrong with the breaks..
Aug 5, 2012
690 posts
550 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
My requirement of an auto shop is good and trustworthy service at amazing prices.
Feb 4, 2015
207 posts
99 upvotes
York, ON
-Keeps you informed, gives options
-Performs diagnosis and fixes little coincidental things free of charge
-Makes things right without you even needing to question it
-Shows the work they've performed; keeps old parts to prove work was done
-Reasonable labour rates, goes by the time taken rather than book time, doesn't mark up parts, lets you bring your own if you prefer
-Respects my time and doesn't make double bookings and have me wait around
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2628 posts
515 upvotes
Manitoba
valeradunets wrote: They can start by not doing unnecessary repairs and scamming people out of their money. My father in law had his front breaks and calipers changed for no reason there when he stopped by to do a tire change, they refused to give him the car. It's a newer huyndai and I had it on the hoist 3 weeks before (for an oil change) and nothing was wrong with the breaks..
You must be kidding. How come you folks let this kind on non-agreed services performed on your cars and pay.
Other day one person posted about Steve or someone who charged him 180 dollars for tire swap. He changed the weight and did balancing etc. Although that is also not good ( wasn't agreed by the customer beforehand) but at least can be understood in a rare case because at least it is related to tires.
What you are saying is bit more crazy. Your father in law went for a tire change and they changed brakes and calipers? What do you mean by changing the brakes - Pads ? Rotors? or both . And why will they change the caliper? what was wrong with it. This is craziest thing I have heard. Because this can be a big job. And how much did they charge him? between 500 and 1000 buck?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1124 posts
209 upvotes
YYZ
i like the fact about leaving or showing the old parts to the customer .. that is a good idea ..
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19321 posts
3007 upvotes
Woodbridge
Open. I hate when shops treat their place life you're in jail meaning you need to stay in the waiting room.

I love b-line mechanics because I can observe, not that I don't trust them just interested.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2252 posts
749 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Asker123 wrote: You must be kidding. How come you folks let this kind on non-agreed services performed on your cars and pay.
Other day one person posted about Steve or someone who charged him 180 dollars for tire swap. He changed the weight and did balancing etc. Although that is also not good ( wasn't agreed by the customer beforehand) but at least can be understood in a rare case because at least it is related to tires.
What you are saying is bit more crazy. Your father in law went for a tire change and they changed brakes and calipers? What do you mean by changing the brakes - Pads ? Rotors? or both . And why will they change the caliper? what was wrong with it. This is craziest thing I have heard. Because this can be a big job. And how much did they charge him? between 500 and 1000 buck?
He did agree when they told him they won't give him the car unless it's fixed, basically freaked him out. I think it was close to $800 he was charged. It's his fault for not calling me, they have no right to hold your car. Only thing they can do is call the mto, the car has to actually be not safe to drive which in this case it was perfectly fine. Problem with canadian tire is they have too many techs and pay them flat rate, it's in their benefit to find as much work as possible. If they were properly trained they'd be working for a busy dealer instead of ct *****hole. They also don't follow the manufacturer's standards and ethics, they basically do whatever they want and 9 out of 10 times rip off their customers.