Automotive

What is the merit in carrying a driver licence when operating a vehicle?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2015 9:53 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10472 posts
790 upvotes
Toronto

What is the merit in carrying a driver licence when operating a vehicle?

Using Ontario as an example:
Ontario Highway Traffic Act wrote:As to carrying licences and surrender on demand
33. (1) Every driver of a motor vehicle or street car shall carry his or her licence with him or her at all times while he or she is in charge of a motor vehicle or street car and shall surrender the licence for reasonable inspection upon the demand of a police officer or officer appointed for carrying out the provisions of this Act. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 33 (1).
I can see the need for a police officer to identify you and to make sure you are permitted to operate the vehicle. However, couldn't all of this be done using an electronic database instead of having to physically carry the card around? I know at least one country where they stopped ticketing people for not carrying their driver licenses as long as they disclosed their national identification numbers which allowed the police to look up their licencing and identification information on their computers.

Do you think this alternative solution could be applicable to Canada?
14 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38201 posts
24389 upvotes
Center of Universe
Aznsilvrboy wrote: Using Ontario as an example:

I can see the need for a police officer to identify you and to make sure you are permitted to operate the vehicle. However, couldn't all of this be done using an electronic database instead of having to physically carry the card around? I know at least one country where they stopped ticketing people for not carrying their driver licenses as long as they disclosed their national identification numbers which allowed the police to look up their licencing and identification information on their computers.

Do you think this alternative solution could be applicable to Canada?
What happens during an accident?
I can see too many dishonest folks giving out fake info and the non at fault driver can't verify.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20559 posts
9075 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: What happens during an accident?
I can see too many dishonest folks giving out fake info and the non at fault driver can't verify.
+1. How hard is it to carry a card in your wallet? You carry your credit cards. Plus to have this type of identification system will cost the taxpayers.
Jul 19, 2014
999 posts
196 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
Iris scans :facepalm: Carrying a DL is OK for me!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10472 posts
790 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: What happens during an accident?
What they do in the other country is always call the police and officers from the traffic unit will come to verify identities, collect evidence and statements from the parties involved.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38201 posts
24389 upvotes
Center of Universe
Aznsilvrboy wrote: Call the police?
Not every accident warrants a police presence.
Fender fenders and the likes are done via exchange of information of both drivers and everybody on there way in 15min or so.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
1185 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto/Plano/Atlant…
Diver license ?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19320 posts
3007 upvotes
Woodbridge
I don't even carry my driver's license, I just leave it in the car. If I know I need I'll take it with me.

Over thinking this too much.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1220 upvotes
aGincourt
Another ancient archaic law pre-digital age
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2005
5114 posts
752 upvotes
the merit is to verify who you say you are. Your face is on your dl and confirms your identification. There's no other way of doing it other than mobile terminals but not every pc has one.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
bembol wrote: I don't even carry my driver's license, I just leave it in the car. If I know I need I'll take it with me.

Over thinking this too much.
not an advisable habit ...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)