Fitness and Nutrition

What are the most comfortable running shoes?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2021 10:45 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 3, 2021
2 posts

What are the most comfortable running shoes?

What is the most comfortable running shoes, I want to feel like I'm not wearing a shoes
Last edited by Hjeij95 on Sep 1st, 2021 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1995 posts
1784 upvotes
Ottawa
That depends on a lot of stuff.
- Your running style - forefoot strike, or heel strike? Do you want a close to zero-drop, or a significant heel drop?
- Your gait - over pronate, under pronate, neutral?
- Your budget - do you want to spend $60 on a pair, or are you willing to spend $200?
- The shape of your foot - there are fewer options if you have a 2E or 4E wide foot

What's comfortable for one person might not be what's comfortable for you.

There are a lot of quality running shoe manufacturers: New Balance, Saucony, ASICS, Nike, Mizuno, Hoka, and Brooks all make good running shoes. Brooks is generally lower budget than the rest, but still high quality. New Balance has styles for every budget. Skechers has also entered the light running shoe market recently, and gets pretty good reviews for their GOrun line.

I'm a forefoot striker with a 4E wide forefoot and a neutral gait. I have limited shoe options, so I've moved away from looking for lightweight shoes and just run in what fits. Right now, for me, it's the Brooks Ghost Line. I used to run in the ASICS Gel-Nimbus until they changed the last; and after that the New Balance 880v2, but I don't like the mid-foot fit. These aren't exactly light weight shoes, but options for a 4E wide foot are limited.

For a season a few years ago I ran interchangeably in a pair of Vibram FiveFingers and New Balance Minimus. Both are quality, light weight, minimalist shoes that support a forefoot striker (i.e. lots of room for forefoot splay). Neither have any cushion. They're about as close as you can get to running barefoot.

I recommend visiting a specialty shoe store and trying out some options. Look for a local, small, runner owned specialty store that has selection, customer service, and running knowledge (not The Running Room). Many of them are willing to order in shoes for you to try on with no obligation to purchase.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6800 posts
3088 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
batcave wrote: Run barefoot. Feels like you're not wearing shoes! Face With Tears Of Joy

It's a thing,
Yep, even to gold medals at 5 Ring Circuses

I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12638 posts
9242 upvotes
Edmonton
Vibram FiveFingers are the closest thing I've found to "shoes that feel like no shoes". I'm not typically a barefoot kind of person, but enjoyed wearing those. But they got ki-boshed by the girlfriend, so...
https://us.vibram.com/shop/shop-all-pro ... fingers-1/

And I have personally run with people who run half marathons barefoot. Seems nuts to me, but whatever floats your boat.

C
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1292 posts
738 upvotes
I'm not a runner, but I love Vibram FiveFinger shoes for general training. It 100% makes sense that the human foot is designed to let each toe move independently, which it can't do with it is squished into a shoe (even a minimalist shoe).

Adidas actually did a huge launch of the Adipure trainer 10 years ago that looked like a copy of the vibram five finger. I think Adidas eventually dropped the product, as sales didn't match expectations..
Here's a video from the launch, where Mark Verstegen (who trains many elite professional athletes and works with Adidas) explains the benefits of a "barefoot shoe".

As far as running, as Dynatos says, it depends on how you run. If you run landing on the heel first, then a barefoot shoe is not going to work for you unless you change your running stride.