Real Estate

What is the most frustrated thing with your mortgage application?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2021 8:26 pm
[OP]
Feb 17, 2021
1 posts
3 upvotes

What is the most frustrated thing with your mortgage application?

Find the best rate? Find a suitable term or a good lawyer? Or struggle to understand the terms on Commitment?
Let me know your story.
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5870 posts
6062 upvotes
Toronto
The lack of consistent seriffing on the fonts used within legal documents.
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
2099 posts
3220 upvotes
Toronto
Down payment verification if you move funds back and forth between accounts all the time.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4128 posts
2885 upvotes
Not so much frustrating but I would like to understand how renewal process works. For example, if we used a mortgage broker will they contact us? If yes, when? Will the current lender offer a renewal? Is it better to stick with the same lender if the rates are comparable or is it better to start from scratch? Do we have to resubmit all our info (e.g. proof of employment) if we use the same broker and/or lender?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2954 posts
724 upvotes
Kagaaruk, NU
Turnaround time.

Don't know if it's just me, but my lender (TD) seems a lot slower now than they were before.
<removed>
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
3292 posts
679 upvotes
Having to pull together 3 months worth of statements from 20 bank and investment accounts. Maybe worse fo the the mortgage guy at the bank who had to review them all.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13823 posts
10034 upvotes
dc200 wrote: Turnaround time.

Don't know if it's just me, but my lender (TD) seems a lot slower now than they were before.
TD seems to be slow from past experience. Ridiculously slow.

My frustrations would be that and just all the extra things required especially if you own multiple properties. Gotta have your paperwork in order. Anything that’s not straight forward is a lot of questions. BTW, I don’t have a problem with the bank verifying all this stuff I just think it can get silly. My home bank can’t check to see rental income going into my account for the last 10 years?
Apr 7, 2007
651 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
ozzie16 wrote: Down payment verification if you move funds back and forth between accounts all the time.
goob3r wrote: Having to pull together 3 months worth of statements from 20 bank and investment accounts. Maybe worse fo the the mortgage guy at the bank who had to review them all.
What they said. I move money around all the time. Which makes me think so Canadians simply leave thousands in savings accounts earning 1/100th of a penny on the dollar?
Mar 14, 2018
99 posts
155 upvotes
Some of the audit checks are really stupid... they asked me for proof that I have enough funds for the closing and I told them that I already sent the closing funds to my lawyer. They wouldn't accept the money order receipt and the confirmation email of the fund's deposit from my lawyer as proof. They rather wanted to see my bank account statements, which someone could have easily doctored.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
1174 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: Not so much frustrating but I would like to understand how renewal process works. For example, if we used a mortgage broker will they contact us? If yes, when? Will the current lender offer a renewal? Is it better to stick with the same lender if the rates are comparable or is it better to start from scratch? Do we have to resubmit all our info (e.g. proof of employment) if we use the same broker and/or lender?
Lenders will hold rates up to 120 days. If you used a mortgage agent, he/she should be contacting you around 120 days from your renewal date to discuss renewal options. Lenders may sent renewal notices out 5 or 6 months before renewal offering you an "attractive" rate. What they are doing is trying to get you to sign then so they keep you for a client. However, before signing, check rates sites or ask a mortgage agent how good the rate is compare to the current rates. It may be in your interest to wait until 120 days out to get a better rate. If waiting, keep your eye on the rates to make sure that they have not started to rise. If you renew with your current lender you can sign the lender. If you are looking at switching to an ew lender, you will have to be requalified.
Doug Boswell
intelliMortgage Inc. Brokerage #12326
FSRA #MO09002332
Jan 19, 2009
172 posts
45 upvotes
As others have said, just the amount of questions and proof you need to show if you have multiple accounts and multiple properties. In addition to that, try being self-unemployed.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13823 posts
10034 upvotes
hybridfx2 wrote: As others have said, just the amount of questions and proof you need to show if you have multiple accounts and multiple properties. In addition to that, try being self-unemployed.
Seriously some of the stuff I was like “how am I supposed to have that?”
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13764 posts
8800 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Going to the bank 200 times.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6694 posts
1002 upvotes
Ottawa
The slowness of the entire process. Why can’t it be as fast as applying for a cc?
Apr 29, 2010
505 posts
799 upvotes
GTA
jeeva86 wrote: The slowness of the entire process. Why can’t it be as fast as applying for a cc?
Bro a CC is like $10k. A mortgage is 50-100x the amount
Oct 30, 2019
225 posts
433 upvotes
proving a down payments was a pain, the mortgage guy didnt even know you could hold securities in a TFSA so I had to ELI5, lol
Oct 30, 2019
225 posts
433 upvotes
clutch31 wrote: Some of the audit checks are really stupid... they asked me for proof that I have enough funds for the closing and I told them that I already sent the closing funds to my lawyer. They wouldn't accept the money order receipt and the confirmation email of the fund's deposit from my lawyer as proof. They rather wanted to see my bank account statements, which someone could have easily doctored.
you could easily doctor anything with a pdf editor but why would you, live within your means... there must be some shady brokers out there just to get the commission
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
2099 posts
3220 upvotes
Toronto
bg8055 wrote: you could easily doctor anything with a pdf editor but why would you, live within your means... there must be some shady brokers out there just to get the commission
That's fraud.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4128 posts
2885 upvotes
dougboswell wrote: Lenders will hold rates up to 120 days. If you used a mortgage agent, he/she should be contacting you around 120 days from your renewal date to discuss renewal options. Lenders may sent renewal notices out 5 or 6 months before renewal offering you an "attractive" rate. What they are doing is trying to get you to sign then so they keep you for a client. However, before signing, check rates sites or ask a mortgage agent how good the rate is compare to the current rates. It may be in your interest to wait until 120 days out to get a better rate. If waiting, keep your eye on the rates to make sure that they have not started to rise. If you renew with your current lender you can sign the lender. If you are looking at switching to an ew lender, you will have to be requalified.
Thanks! Are you a broker? I have a follow-up question.