Students

What are my chances to get into the mentioned universities in Canada with the following credentials

[OP]
Mar 30, 2018
5 posts
1 upvote

What are my chances to get into the mentioned universities in Canada with the following credentials

The universities I have successfully applied to are:- (undergrad programs)

1.York University ( Criminology and Law and Society)
2.Carleton University ( Criminology and BA law)
3.University of Victoria( BA political science)

My academic credentials are:-
7.6 GPA in grade 10th
86% in grade 11th finals
88% in grade 11th mid term
91% 12th predicted(based on my 12th grade mid term)
12th final result will come in may till then ill receive a conditional offer based on the mentioned )
7.5 score in IELTS

P.s these were all documents I was asked to submit.
And I’m an Indian international student
6 replies
Jan 31, 2016
67 posts
21 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
You will get in. Your grades are pretty good. But really... you would travel all the way from India to get an Bachelor of Arts degree? You can get one in India at a cheaper price. Then, you can come here to get master's degree.

If you plan for skilled immigration, I would focus on English testing and get a Bachelor's in India.

If you plan to actually come here to find a job after graduating with that degree then that is a poor decision my friend.Face With Tears Of Joy
Sep 29, 2014
217 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto, ON
papermoney wrote: You will get in. Your grades are pretty good. But really... you would travel all the way from India to get an Bachelor of Arts degree? You can get one in India at a cheaper price. Then, you can come here to get master's degree.

If you plan for skilled immigration, I would focus on English testing and get a Bachelor's in India.

If you plan to actually come here to find a job after graduating with that degree then that is a poor decision my friend.Face With Tears Of Joy
100% this.

Shay, are you rich? Do you really want to blow 200k on a useless undergraduate social science degree in Canada? Here is a link to someone who did her BA at McGill, MA at U of T, and then worked as a Barista. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... le4507579/

"No one told me that an English degree was not an acceptable prerequisite for even the most basic grunt positions," says Adelle Farrelly, a recent graduate with a bachelor of arts from McGill University and a master of arts from the University of Toronto.

"When I finished my MA I found myself working at a coffee chain surrounded by fellow students and recent graduates, all of us looking for that 'real job' and confused about our fate. Remember: Those you see behind the coffee counter are likely a plucky crew of medievalists, statisticians, architects and management graduates."
Nov 24, 2017
101 posts
78 upvotes
Eragon wrote: 100% this.

Shay, are you rich? Do you really want to blow 200k on a useless undergraduate social science degree in Canada? Here is a link to someone who did her BA at McGill, MA at U of T, and then worked as a Barista. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... le4507579/

"No one told me that an English degree was not an acceptable prerequisite for even the most basic grunt positions," says Adelle Farrelly, a recent graduate with a bachelor of arts from McGill University and a master of arts from the University of Toronto.

"When I finished my MA I found myself working at a coffee chain surrounded by fellow students and recent graduates, all of us looking for that 'real job' and confused about our fate. Remember: Those you see behind the coffee counter are likely a plucky crew of medievalists, statisticians, architects and management graduates."
Statisticians? Really? I would have thought they'd be in very high demand given all the 'big data' hype.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3321 posts
1876 upvotes
opekoe wrote: Statisticians? Really? I would have thought they'd be in very high demand given all the 'big data' hype.
Ya I didn't buy that one either. Likely an attempt to make it seem like she's in the same caliber as STEM grads.

If she was talking about liberal arts on the other hand....