Real Estate

What are the new trends in Toronto real estate?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2019 2:55 pm
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
696 posts
189 upvotes

What are the new trends in Toronto real estate?

Just curious to get everyone s take. I'm not asking for predication on how the housing market might crash or be up by 20% in a year.

Simply asking for overall consumer/demographic/investor trends.

Ie. 1+1 condo was a popular trend back in the day. But now 2 bed 2 bath seems to be all the rage. Because folks are having kids and need more space.

Companies continue to move downtown to attract talent (Microsoft, Apple). That would have pretty big implications on demand for housing in areas closer to the office.

Stress test is pushing consumers buying power down and now have pooled a lot of consumers into the bitter condo category (vs small house)

That's my take so far
33 replies
Sep 7, 2018
163 posts
111 upvotes
Studios are very cash flow positive. High rent compared to size and cost.

Excellent for workaholics who just need a place to sleep.
Aug 1, 2006
196 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
While Toronto proper home prices on average have stabilized or getting a small uptick, this cannot be said about house prices (especially for newer builds) in areas like Willowdale/North York (still Toronto), Richmond Hill and Markham which are getting killed. I have seen houses sit for almost 2 years and price cuts to the tune of $1M or more below what was originally asked for in 2017. And yet the houses still sit without buyers.
Mar 17, 2019
61 posts
39 upvotes
my 2 cents:

a) tech market in Toronto/GTA is top 5 in north america and driving alot of millenial jobs and they need a place to live. investing in condos along the subway/GO line will ensure high rent and steady appreciation or in dense commercial/residential pockets like toronto core, or even Square one mississauga, Markham.
b) renovation projects in areas like the beaches, long branch, leslieville aren't as lucrative as pre 2018, it has slowed down a bit but taht means a good time to buy renovation lots/old bungalows.
c) detached homes with average to below average finishes are selling below market value right now especially in the suburbs like mississauga...once over 1 million detaches can be foudn for 800k It is a GREAT time to buy a fixer upper in the suburbs and renovate. However good quality homes still selling for a premium.
d) condo prices are increasing while detached homes are dropping...once they get close in value folks will jump back into the detached market.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
8601 posts
3681 upvotes
icecanadian wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 2:38 pm
While Toronto proper home prices on average have stabilized or getting a small uptick, this cannot be said about house prices (especially for newer builds) in areas like Willowdale/North York (still Toronto), Richmond Hill and Markham which are getting killed. I have seen houses sit for almost 2 years and price cuts to the tune of $1M or more below what was originally asked for in 2017. And yet the houses still sit without buyers.
Detach is hard to move, but townhouses and semis are booming.
Jan 29, 2010
602 posts
365 upvotes
The cheaper the property, the hotter the market is. Semis and sub 800k detached in Vaughan are selling like hotcakes. The condos near the Maple GO are also sold out.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
696 posts
189 upvotes
phaze416 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 3:00 pm
my 2 cents:

a) tech market in Toronto/GTA is top 5 in north america and driving alot of millenial jobs and they need a place to live. investing in condos along the subway/GO line will ensure high rent and steady appreciation or in dense commercial/residential pockets like toronto core, or even Square one mississauga, Markham.
b) renovation projects in areas like the beaches, long branch, leslieville aren't as lucrative as pre 2018, it has slowed down a bit but taht means a good time to buy renovation lots/old bungalows.
c) detached homes with average to below average finishes are selling below market value right now especially in the suburbs like mississauga...once over 1 million detaches can be foudn for 800k It is a GREAT time to buy a fixer upper in the suburbs and renovate. However good quality homes still selling for a premium.
d) condo prices are increasing while detached homes are dropping...once they get close in value folks will jump back into the detached market.
Great insight. Thanks for sharing.

Do you mind elaborating on your point on b and c?
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
696 posts
189 upvotes
jillaryit wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 4:41 pm
The cheaper the property, the hotter the market is. Semis and sub 800k detached in Vaughan are selling like hotcakes. The condos near the Maple GO are also sold out.
I feel like that's a product of the stress test? People can't get to that buying power like before ? It would be interesting to see what happens when the stress test is lifted.

Are condos in burbs like Vaughn or Markham that much cheaper than condos in downtown fringe areas (east end, Leslieville etc)? Because it is a long commute to work if work is downtown.
Jan 29, 2010
602 posts
365 upvotes
DPR2017 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 5:20 pm
I feel like that's a product of the stress test? People can't get to that buying power like before ? It would be interesting to see what happens when the stress test is lifted.

Are condos in burbs like Vaughn or Markham that much cheaper than condos in downtown fringe areas (east end, Leslieville etc)? Because it is a long commute to work if work is downtown.
Probably coupled with mainland china’s tightened controls to prevent their citizens from transferring money overseas.

I think both will be relaxed sooner or later. And when that happens, :)

I work downtown and travel from Vaughan on GO. I just sleep both ways lol, upper level is nice and quiet. I arrive home, it’s a suburb, nice and quiet again. GO is $$ though
Oct 27, 2017
106 posts
98 upvotes
jillaryit wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 6:07 pm
Probably coupled with mainland china’s tightened controls to prevent their citizens from transferring money overseas.

I think both will be relaxed sooner or later. And when that happens, :)

I work downtown and travel from Vaughan on GO. I just sleep both ways lol, upper level is nice and quiet. I arrive home, it’s a suburb, nice and quiet again. GO is $$ though
How much exactly from vaughan to downtown?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
8601 posts
3681 upvotes
DPR2017 wrote:

I don't think the stress test is going anywhere, unfortunately.
May 31, 2005
274 posts
489 upvotes
SKOMO85 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 8:39 pm
How much exactly from vaughan to downtown?
I don't think it costs much. My wife takes it and it might be like $7 one way? Apparently it's 33 mins to/from downtown without delays which is like every other day Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1310 posts
1064 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DPR2017 wrote:

Interesting enough, not quite so. Many people work uptown and push up the prices there too. The differential is not as much as one would expect.
Jan 29, 2010
602 posts
365 upvotes
dimsumboi wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 9:06 pm
I don't think it costs much. My wife takes it and it might be like $7 one way? Apparently it's 33 mins to/from downtown without delays which is like every other day Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Yup around $7 one way. The delays are hardly ever more than 5 minutes. I never plan my wake up time to buffer for delays for GO, whereas I always put a 30 minutes buffer for early meetings when I took the Finch TTC back when I was in North York. And I was still late quite frequently to my 8:30, 9 meetings despite the buffer. If you’re used to the TTC, GO will seem like heaven to you. My commute from Vaughan vs North York is shorter, have less delays, more comfy for the additional price of $4 per trip.

TTC does train you well in anger management though (especially when you have to switch to shuttle buses for the subway lines)...
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
696 posts
189 upvotes
dimsumboi wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 9:06 pm
Damn. I took take the go train, but it's $10 one way and 50 min for me. :(