Credit Cards

What options do you have if credit cards expired when traveling aboard?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2021 6:43 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 5, 2021
24 posts
3 upvotes

What options do you have if credit cards expired when traveling aboard?

Do card issuers mail the new card outside the country? Can a new card be requested before the trip even it's not close to the expiry date? What's the common practice?
14 replies
May 21, 2008
128 posts
71 upvotes
Surrey
I'd think it would be better to call them before the trip.
Dec 22, 2007
860 posts
482 upvotes
Mississauga
rfder21 wrote: Do card issuers mail the new card outside the country? Can a new card be requested before the trip even it's not close to the expiry date? What's the common practice?
in theory expiry date on the card shouldn't matter these days. How it will actually behave is a crapshoot.

best and surest way would be to call your bank and say you lost the card or the chip doesn't work... they should send you a new card
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10234 posts
5321 upvotes
Markham
DeletedMemories wrote: in theory expiry date on the card shouldn't matter these days. How it will actually behave is a crapshoot.

best and surest way would be to call your bank and say you lost the card or the chip doesn't work... they should send you a new card
But will issuers give replacement card a new expiration date "even it's not close to the expiry date?" ?
[OP]
Mar 5, 2021
24 posts
3 upvotes
DeletedMemories wrote: best and surest way would be to call your bank and say you lost the card or the chip doesn't work... they should send you a new card
I had a card compromised before, and if I remember it correctly, the replacement card had the same expiry date as the old one, it didn't start with a new time cycle.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1693 posts
1196 upvotes
Montreal, QC
rfder21 wrote: Do card issuers mail the new card outside the country? Can a new card be requested before the trip even it's not close to the expiry date? What's the common practice?
Some credit card companies will issue the credit card outside the country. It all depends on the credit card company. It is best to contact your credit card company to find out what they will do.

For me, I generally travel for at most 2 weeks and it has been my experience that my replacement credit cards for cards which will expire are sent to me roughly 1 month before the expiration date so I get my replacement credit card in plenty of time before my trip. That being said, I generally have more than 1 credit card with me for any trip that I take even if the "other" credit card is not used at all while on the trip.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1693 posts
1196 upvotes
Montreal, QC
DeletedMemories wrote: in theory expiry date on the card shouldn't matter these days. How it will actually behave is a crapshoot.

It has been my experience that the expiration date matters. I received my replacement credit card and activated it. Since my old card still worked, I continued to use it (and keep it in my wallet) while I left the new card at home. I forgot to switch the card in my wallet at the end of the month and went to tap/use my card and it was refused/rejected. I inserted the card into the slot to key in my PIN and it was also rejected. I looked at my card and noticed that it expired.

If the expiration date doesn't make a difference, financial institutions wouldn't send a replacement card for no reason.
Dec 22, 2007
860 posts
482 upvotes
Mississauga
in my experience i always got my card a month or two before it expires and replacement card if they were lost always had a new expiry date.

now all these things depend on the actual issuer of the card. the expiry date thing has rules around it from visa/mc when i worked doing these things and they had test cases for expired cards being accepted. that doesnt mean that merchants or issuers will do their own thing. I wouldnt expect it comes up often compared to semi-annual compliance releases so it not a big concern for any issuer to really care about either way.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
5100 posts
2883 upvotes
I saw some TV commercials that some credit cards would send a replacement card to a place which is not your home(I.e. vacation location) if you call them to report you lost your card.
Mar 28, 2008
183 posts
172 upvotes
For example, some Amex cards have Emergency Card Replacement for stolen/lost card during travel, but they do not mention about expired card during travel. This situation is rare because you should check your credit card prior to any traveling, if the credit card is heading to expiry, then you should contact them prior to your trip, maybe they can have special arrangement or courier a new card to you. The chance for you to have only 1 credit card and it's expired during the trip, and without checking the expiry date before the trip should be extremely rare.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
11476 posts
14236 upvotes
Vancouver
I made several online purchases with my Amex card and accidentally entered the wrong expiry date. Same month, but I entered 2025 instead of 2024. Surprisingly they went through.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
5100 posts
2883 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I made several online purchases with my Amex card and accidentally entered the wrong expiry date. Same month, but I entered 2025 instead of 2024. Surprisingly they went through.
Probably the most important info they need is the 3 digits CVV code on the back of the card.
[OP]
Mar 5, 2021
24 posts
3 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: Probably the most important info they need is the 3 digits CVV code on the back of the card.
That's the whole point, people could guess the new expiry date, but it's useless without knowing the 3 digits CVV code.
Mar 28, 2008
183 posts
172 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: Probably the most important info they need is the 3 digits CVV code on the back of the card.
rfder21 wrote: That's the whole point, people could guess the new expiry date, but it's useless without knowing the 3 digits CVV code.
There is exception that some retailers do not ask CVV for a transaction, ex. Amazon.

This post may be applicable to the people who were trapped in a country while their cc expired. I wondered if the credit card company could temporarily extend the expired card until the card holder back home and activate the new card. We need some testimony here to prove if this is possible or not.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2321 posts
1734 upvotes
ccya965041 wrote: There is exception that some retailers do not ask CVV for a transaction, ex. Amazon.

This post may be applicable to the people who were trapped in a country while their cc expired. I wondered if the credit card company could temporarily extend the expired card until the card holder back home and activate the new card. We need some testimony here to prove if this is possible or not.
CVV isn't required to process a transaction, it's just used for the merchant to assess risk. It helps the merchant know that you at least have seen the card, to reduce the risk of fraud but it is optional and depends on the merchant if they want to process that transaction. The card number and expiry date is mandatory.
I have had my transactions decline when I accidentally miss clicked and was off by one year. However, this was on VISA and MC cards.